HELP!!! helmet needs identifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! helmet needs identifying

ok so i just brought a helmet from newark the guy said its an american steel helmet from 1951, but im unsure as when i took the cover off it had a grey and white mark which i think said RE and i dont have a clue what that means it has a plastic inner helmet which i thought was dodgey but has a few markings like on the inner helmet it says CF with a crown above it in blue and some letters on the headband. pictures should be attached can you guys & gals help me please and thanks in advance.
    pictures should be there.
    Attached Files

Re: HELP!!! helmet needs identifying

not all photos have uploaded so will put some more up soon

Comment

I think that could be a British turtle helmet by the shape of it and year

Comment

Looks like an m1, they ran from ww2 up to 85 ish, so description is bang on, whether its genuine issue i couldnt tell you.
        sigpic

Comment

Could possibly be a Dutch/French/Belgian issue M1 helmet. It definately looks post war to me because of the fabric chinstrap attached to the liner.

Comment

Yup, that's a US style M1.

Also made under license in Holland , Austria , Korea ,Israel and many other countries.

The plastic liner gradually replaced the paper/resin liner from the 50's

Don't forget that the liner and outer are interchangeable so it is very rare to get a matching pair

Comment

ok thanks just got me questioning with the colour looking a bit off to me , but does anybody know what the RE could stand for ill try to get a picture of it up but for now its a grey circle with a white RE in the middle , it only cost me £20 so sound worth it even if its not oringinal but sounds like it is

Comment

links didnt work ill put them up later and thanks for the info guys
                Last edited by Debbietack; 2 January, 2012, 19:56. Reason: links didnt work

Comment

Originally posted by Debbietack View Post
                  ok thanks just got me questioning with the colour looking a bit off to me , but does anybody know what the RE could stand for ill try to get a picture of it up but for now its a grey circle with a white RE in the middle , it only cost me £20 so sound worth it even if its not oringinal but sounds like it is
                  Has it got a date or any other markings anywhere. It could be anything, I think if we find out which country it was last issued to it may narrow it down considerably.

Is it possible 'CF' could stand for 'Canadian Forces'? The colour reminds me of US films when on ships certain people have initials on helmets denoting their jobs?

Comment

Could stand for royal engineers as you say it has a crown

Comment

on the headband it has the letters JN

Comment

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j366/debbietack/
                        http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCF0486.jpg

Comment

The headband is what all soldiers in my platoon did when we wore them in Holland. up to 96 they used these helmets, then switched to the "fritz" kevlar helmet. The letters are initials of the user. CF could be Canadian Forces, and RE standing for Reconnaissance.

Comment

The crown is definately of Scandinavian origin, but as far as I know all of the Dutch Forces start with 'K' something, "KM" is Navy, etc.

Just like commonwealth kit was marked with a broadarrow marking, this is their mark. I don't know which country it is however.

Comment

Its a Danish M48 helmet and liner often used by the Norwegians. You can find these by the crate load at militeria shows and all over the EU.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Debbietack Find out more about Debbietack
                              Working...
                              X