BOAR Circa 1988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOAR Circa 1988

This look is still using the old DPM. I'm still lacking an SA80 Bayonet and a GS bergen. Also, the ration pouch is Canadian since I can't find a suitable British one. Though I intend to make one out of the kidney pouches that should be with this set up. I dumped them since they sit too high for a bergen to be worn with them. We usually head deep into the country-side to play and stay over night so bergen is needed. I've got the large pack for the pattern 58 on the way but I'm not anxious to use it.

And with Gadge's helpful advise I've picked up an S10 ressie pouch to add to the kit.

And cue the beasting for the title typo.

Re: BOAR Circa 1988

That's awesome. Really like that
    KWA LM4 || TM/Guarder G17

Gear freak, lover of helmets and TRMR's

Comment

Can the knowledgeable folks here tell me what body armour would have been in use by the 88-89 timeframe? Still the big green monster or would the lightweight body armour have started appearing? And a follow up question on the lightweight armour carriers, which one came first, the single pocket or the two pocket version? Thanks!

Comment

Body armour wasn't issued to field units unless on guard duty or in Northern Ireland. Then it was the Vietnam style flak jackets for guard and ENIBA vests for the province. Also by 88/89 BAOR units had the plain green PLCE webbing, pattern 58 only being used by 2nd line and training units. [B]een a while since I've seen pattern 68 jackets and jungle trousers!

Comment

The trousers don't have a tag in them but they are fully lined, no additional button fly...definitely not junglies. In looking at loads of videos and such from the IWM P58 was still extremely widespread and not just for 2nd line or training units.

Comment

Strange that there lined, maybe a copy set because the colours are definitely tropical. As for webbing I had the 58 until sept 89 then went to Munster and received PLCE, I was under the impression as units received L85A1 they got PLCE as well

Comment

Nope they are legitimate military issue trousers, just not as faded as the jacket. Perhaps the camera is affecting the look. The fabric of the jacket and bottom are the same when handling them. The trousers colors are the same as the jacket only a bit more crisp as the jacket is a bit older and more used. I've got some tropicals and the coloring is very different to these trousers so I'm chalking it down to weird camera lighting.

PLCE issue wasn't matched to the L85A1 issue. L85A1 began being issued 85/86 with PLCE in OD starting to appear in 89/90 at least according to the wonk that wrote "Modern British Webbing."

I'm basing the look off of this 1989 documentary at this point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YpE8...eature=related

Back to the original question though...so body armour wasn't widely issued or used? I suspected this might be the case since can't really find any pictures of BAOR (didn't let spell check "fix" it for me that time) in body armour.

Comment

I think PLCE went onto general issue in 1990.

SA80 was *definitely* still being used with 58 webbing by a lot of units well up until 1990.

I've got plenty of pics of the parachute regiment and other 'teeth' units with Sa80s and 58 pattern webbing in 1988

I think that impression is fine tbh. If you get an old copy of Ospreys 'The British Army Today' published around 1988 you'll see lads wearing exactly what you're wearing. I'd add a poncho roll as you'd need it for your NBC suit. Whereas when we were issued PLCE we kept all the NBC kit bar the ressie in one of the bergan side packs but 58 webbing had no provision for an NBC suit, you either 'borrowed' a second poncho roll or bungee'd an old dpm trouser leg with the suit stuffed in it to your webbbing....

58 pattern webbing was seriously outdated by 88 but still very much in use across the board.

Comment

I've got the bum roll; I just don't have the NBC suit...yet! Though I just found a place selling the green ones quite cheap, but since I'm trying to keep it pretty close to this time frame I'm hunting around for a DPM one to match up with the S10 info that was provided in your thread.

Comment

anchor supplies do the MKIV in green or dpm for about a fiver, still sealed in the vacum bags. They also did the overboots and overgloves for £1 a pair

Comment

58 was also been used into the 91 gulf war and i think i have pics of some none teeth arms using it up to 94-95 its just one of those things that wont die lol
                      Do Something Brave....Then Run Like Hell!
                      ::Yorkshire Airsoft:: http://www.yorkshireairsoft.co.uk
                      ::Cold War Warriors 1985 - 1995:: http://coldwarwarriors.proboards.com/

Comment

Very very nice set up there Isnt the roll pin belt,ration pouch and 44 Patt waterbottle set a bit too "SF" if you are doing a regular unit or were they common?

Comment

44 pattern bottles were common to anyone who could get one from a surplus store or via official channels i think.

Pretty much the same as every one i knew when we got PLCE used the e-tool pouch to carry a second water bottle as it was more useful to use it for that or to free up the water bottle pouch for rations and brew kit. You just adapt stuff dont you?

Roll pin belts possibly but again I think they started in malaya/borneo using cargo straps

Comment

This is my own 'transitional period' of around 85/86 impression (minus rifle)

Comment

By the way it British Army Of the Rhine B.A.O.R.

Not, BOAR, thats a wild pig

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mercy Find out more about Mercy
                              Working...
                              X