what do british troops do with the elastic on the bottom of the trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do british troops do with the elastic on the bottom of the trousers

hey guys i've been looking at a lot of photos and to me it looks like quite a few troops are taking the elastic band out of the bottom of the trousers i'm just woundering if this is true

if not what do they do instead with the bottom of the trousers e.g. tuck it into their boots?

cheers

will

I used to use trouser ties, which are green pieces of elastic with little hooks on, and they're what we use to stop the bottom of our combats from dragging all over the place. and looks pretty smart as well. Not sure if they use them with the new kit though.

but of you don't have trouser ties, and you are using cs95, then you should have laces at the bottom of your trousers, just tie them pal.

Comment

Re: what do british troops do with the elastic on the bottom of the trousers

I have always used trouser twists "twisties" and you can get them from most army surplus stores for about a quid.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...roducts_id=382

Most modern issue and some non-issue trousers have ties at the bottom. If not use some elastic bands.....do the same job.
      TM SCAR-L recoil / G&G top tech 416 / TM USP compact

Comment

As above really.

The modern trousers come with string ties threaded around the base of the trouser leg. Tie that around your boot and it has a number of effects:

Stop your trousers dragging on the floor
        Keeps you looking smart
        Help prevent creepy crawlies climbing up your leg
        Allows for fewer leg sizes of trouser to be produced as the excess is hidden
        Helps prevent your trouser leg climbing up and making you look like a 1980's foreign exchange student.

The older temperate combats and the olive green "lightwieight" trousers had a straight leg so pre-made elastics were manufactured for these and paid for at the soldiers expense, or elastic bands, or hair bobbles, or lengths of elastic tied into loops....

Comment

I only use the ties in camp and nothing in the field! It's fine trying to stop the trousers riding up but it's a lot Easyer to let them drop back down on there own rather than having to push them down and mess around with them
          sigpic

"The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
          - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

Comment

In my battalion some wear them and other dont, its down to the bloke.
            personally I dont wear them, most RSM say if you have to or not.
            As above you don't wear them in the field.

Comment

In camp: left to droop
              On ex: left to droop
              On parade: folded up one, but so they still droop.

Comment

Bloody iPad just disliked your post...how do I change it.

Comment

Putties FTW!!!
                  sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

lol.... putties for the bin!

Only thing they are any good for is an improvised bandage or tourniquet!

Comment

They are also *really* good for stopping beasties getting into your boot tops or trousers leg.

Even when issued with high leg jungle boots soldiers in malaya and borneo in the 50s and 60s would wear one or two pairs of puttees over the join to stop things like leeches getting in. I've only seen two pairs worn by the SAS doing tree jumps to provide better calf and ankle support when in jungle boots.

They are pretty anachronistic though. Personally I really like them but then i do WWII and Cold War battles.

Trouser blousing (like most things) goes in fashions in the army.

It used to be very fashionable to blouse with twisters right to the top of the 'Boots Combat High', by the time i left in the early 2000s it was fashionable to loosely tie trousers so they hung over the boot and you looked like you were wearing shoes.

It largely depends what you're doing too. If you're in jungle with a lot of unergrowth you ideally want as little cloth as possible waving around and snagging below the knee. Patrolling an arid area town it's less of an issue.

Comment

I am firmly in the "keep them as low as possible so it looks liike a shoe" group for 2 reasons:

1. I find it really uncomfortable and annoying above the boot
                        2. I don't want to look like an American

Comment

I used to use DMS boots and Puttees in the 80's. I found them ok apart from a habit of riding up over the back of my boot. Gave em to the dog for a chew toy when i left in 1985. He loved them. Ended up as his favourite toy to play with. Go figure. :-) Trouser twists for softing now though.

Comment

The trouser twists are not allowed anymore, as they can easely cut off blood supply to the feet. Elastics are good though, and we wore them all the time, both on or off exersize. Just get some bungee cord and tie them round your calf, then tie knot and fold trousers inwards using the elastic. Job done.

Comment

as already established above, there called twisters, and there a pile of shit, i just use the tie laces on the bottom of my MTP's and tuck it up, works better, ands a hell of a lot more comfortable!. as for the above comment about them not being allowed more, i havent heard a single thing about this! Havent been told anything by our RSM yet so i see this as a still wear them

Owner of DCS
                              (Doom custom shooters)
                              PM me for Custom work!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bluemonkey Find out more about Bluemonkey
                              Working...
                              X