mk4 osprey legality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mk4 osprey legality?

right ive been offered an issued and well used mk4 osprey, but with all this it is or isnt illegal for a civvi to have mtp stuff or armour as you hear all these horror stories of them been confiscated. i really could do with knowing 100% whats the legal stand point now. plus i assume if its brand new and on a said auction site its probably nicked as i would need pouches?

Re: mk4 osprey legality?

As a former RMP i would go with illegal, personally, if its just the used cover i dont see the harm. That said if anyone wanted my osprey cover after my tour, they were welcome to it as i stank to high heaven!

Comment

yeah its just the cover, but what about the pouches?

Comment

As far as I'm aware that's all ok I think all the MOD want back not not sold on rather is the actual osprey plates as they are property of the armed forces not the individual soldier.

Comment

cheers guys

Comment

i rely wouldnt worry the company who designed it are about to sell it ? to a civi market

Comment

On previous tours the guys have been allowed to keep their covers as they were only going to be burned anyway (health risk by passing them on)

If it has been used, chances are he has been allowed to keep it as it saves the Military the hassle of disposing of it. Generally speaking, if an item of kit has regular bodily contact it is disposed of rather than re-issued. Given the amount of sweating you will do "out there" i can well see it being freely handed over.

Comment

I think your safe bud but wash it twice lol.

plates and soft armour are around £800 a go thats why they are so arsey about the stuff. plus wrong hands ect.
                Originally posted by B.E.N.
                Dude, that's like saying you wish you still had pictures of Monica Lewinsky sucking Bill Clinton's dick...

Comment

thanks guys, will feel a bit better about wearing it out tomoz.

Comment

I'm not sure that's quite right.

Granted that kit that should be destroyed is a grey area, we civis can only legally buy 'surplus'. I believe the 'letter of the law' on this requires any item to be processed as surplus before it can be sold.

That said, if it should have been burnt at the end of the tour, then no one will be chasing it (it will have been written off).

It's only a couple of tours ago that covers were being recycled and reissued (maybe some still are!)

@xRaptorx MOD own it all, not just the plates. Issue kit never belongs to personnel.
                    Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
                    Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Ive still got mine there not burned, legality wise no one rely would sell it as it is on issue yet we hand in the plates, still keep the soft Armour, but if they come up on ebay id so no reason someone buying it tbh

Comment

yea this one has been recycled a few times by the look of it as there are 3 different zip numbers. 1 inside, another on the shoulder and my mate who's it was last was taped over the number on the shoulder. all i heard was mod plod were intrested in was just the plates and mk7 helmets been in civvi hands, but have only gone on what other people have said, hense asking in here.

Comment

I think the point about them being burned comes from a few tours ago where guys who lived, sweat and bled in to them, got back to Bastion and the covers were so bad they simply got incinerated with other waste.

The plates and helmets are certainly more important to the MOD, whereas we just want to covers.....
                          Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
                          Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

What annoys me is people selling brand new covers, and the soft armour, just for their own financial gain.

Comment

agreed and tbh not a fan of explaining how i lost a set of osprey

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Darkmikey22 Find out more about Darkmikey22
                              Working...
                              X