SAS WWII Smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAS WWII Smock

Good day, I am currently doing SAS Desert Storm loadout, I would ask one can acquire the WWII SAS Smock, original or repro.

Regards

Re: SAS WWII Smock

Yes, you can get them from various places. In this case, I think Google might be the obvious first place to try.

If this is a wanted ad, you're in the wrong section.

Comment

Expect it to not be cheap, 299 quid for the repro the last time I checked, the genuine ones are hard to get and pretty pricey because of the 'SAS' tag.
      I've looked at lots of pictures and am pretty sure a good chunk of them were wearing the snow smocks, same smock just in white, you can pick them up for about 25-30 quid. Being cotton you can dye it if you really want to, saved yourself over 140 quid.

You can see the desert colour and the white versions too all in one lineup.
      section 24 of the 1968 Act
      Supplying imitation firearms to minors
      1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
      2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

yeah i mean for a start they are not 'sas' smocks. They are 'windproof smocks'

They were part of the 1943 cold weather kit and on general issue from October 43. The entire 52nd Lowland division were issued them. Infantry battalion snipers also used to wear them and they came as part of a two piece suit. They just get called 'sas' smocks because for a period int he mid 70s they were in vogue with the sas and the SBS used to wear the full suit. Lots of pics of guys in Oman wearing the smocks.

They come in a lot of shades so you need to decide which sort you want. the most common is the brushstroke pattern (and this is repro'd badly by many) which looks a bit like DPM without the black, then they also made them in white, stone grey, olive green and sand. i'm guessing you're going to want a stone grey or sand one as both can be seen in that pic.

- - - Updated - - -

The ones in the pics have obviously been dragged out of storage as most the 70s ones were retailored to have a front zip as they are a pain in the ass to get on and off in a hurry
        Last edited by Fizzy; 21 May, 2013, 19:27.

Comment

Funny, you mention the colours, the only one that picture misses is the OG one.

The mods are easy to do, stitch a zip in the front, others have had the cuffs done as well, called 'paracuffs', basically they are elasticated. You can buy the sew in cuffs separate or do what many were reported as doing and thats use a pair of 'pussers thick blacks', in leymans, a pair of thick black socks.
          From what I here, it was actually the French that originally modified the smocks (dont know how true that is).
          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

yeah its true. We sold the french a lot of windproof suits and webbing and french foreign legion paras in the 50s used to wear the windproofs suits retailored to have cargo pockets and a front zip alongside US webbing and german small arms (which i'm actually doing for a future loadout article).

The OG ones are pretty rare beasts tbh.

White, brushstroke and stone being the most common shades/styles you'll find originals of in that order.

A certain big UK repro retailor currently has repro white ones on offer at £30 which is a pretty good price

- - - Updated - - -

I think the hooded camo jacket in that pic is a DPM one as it looks like the 'drawings' have black in them. WWII ones look like this:

Comment

I think I might have payed about 25 for my repro snow smock, it was on offer.

Comment

hahah priceless i got a mod nazi message for that... oh you guys are priceless on this forum

Comment

Good night guys, thanks for your contribution, I have been in love with me by the SAS, more precisely in Gulf War ...
                  Snow Smock is really a good buy cheap, and I have seen that in the pictures the most used are whiter, they become brown with use , nothing an "aging" can not ....

And always a Snow Smock original is better than a repro ....

I think I saw somewhere a smock with green cuffs confirm?

Once again, thank you!

Comment

The cuffs are the 'paracuffs' edition I mentioned earlier, you just sew them in.
                    The repros are pretty much identical, well the snow smock is at least.
                    Good heavy weight cotton too, so dying it wont be an issue if you choose to do that.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

russo Find out more about russo
                    Working...
                    X