Mk.6 helmet band , Please Help !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk.6 helmet band , Please Help !!

So the rubber band that i normally use around my lid , is an old mtb innertube cut in half and wrapped around my lid and held together by duct tape.
    However the duct tape always gets unsticky and the inner tube just falls of my helmet .
    So i heard people used nbc boots . Having looked on the bay , the shipping prices are ridiculous.
    Then i heard about land rover inner tubes which are 16" .
    So my question is could i just buy a 16" bike innter tube and remove the valve and then wrap it on my lid or do i have to get a car 16""inner tube?

Re: Mk.6 helmet band , Please Help !!

You can buy the propper helmet band from some sites, that said they are no longer worn due to them causing horrific injuries when subjected to heat!

Comment

Oh and i aint keen on the webtex bands....

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by gorilla View Post
      You can buy the propper helmet band from some sites, that said they are no longer worn due to them causing horrific injuries when subjected to heat!
      Yeah i know but im going for a 2007 afghanistan loadout

Comment

Why don't you just use sniper/scapa tape...?
        sigpic

Comment

Because I'm going for a 2007 aghanistan load out , an black bands just look way better

Comment

Erm NBC boots at my local surplus shop are a quid. i'll buy a pair for you next week, cut off the 'shins' and post em to you if you PM me your address.

Comment

I really appreciate the offer , but you dont have to , i live in luxembourg so shipping can be a hassle. Im thinking of going to my local garden centre and getting a lawn mower inner tube with the size of 16x750 and using that , what do you think?

Comment

Not that many(if any cars etc) use inner tubes any more as tyres seem to be tubeless but go to your local garage/tyre shop and pester them there for a used inner tube. Bike tubes are no good.

Comment

I really dont think it will cost much to post a strip of rubber to europe. I've got to run a display for armed forces day this weekend but once thats over i'll see what i can do if you cant get some inner tube over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla View Post
                    I think this is bog standard rumour control, and a load of b0ll0cks. I was told the same thing in Iraq in 2003 (that all helmet bands were being banned due to the rubber melting on to someone's face) but it never happened, then again in Iraq in 2005, the same rumour went around, but it never happened, then again in Afghan in 2007 the same rumour and hang on, it never happened. What did happen though is that troops started to realise that their nicely rounded kevlar domes were making an easier identifiable target for the Talibs, especially when worn with a thick black (there's nothing naturally black in Afghan) stripe around the base. The result was that scrim was ordered onto the helmets to break up the shape aaaaaannnd this rumour appeared again. Funnily enough though, I know guys who have still kept their runner band on and have just camouflaged over it.

Originally posted by curlyrocks View Post
                    Oh and i aint keen on the webtex bands....

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah i know but im going for a 2007 afghanistan loadout
                    Was about to say that sniper tape was used in 2007 in Afghan and then realised that we've already had this convo on the other thread! lol.

Comment

I admit, I didn't read all the other answers so apologies if this is a repeat answer.....

The inner tube thing is not simply wrapped around the helmet and held in place with tape.

You take the inner tube and cut it like you would a cake. You then cut a "slice of cake" as squarely as you can. The resulting loop of rubber is what is used. A bike inner tube will not be anywhere near big enough.

Any good size inner tube will work, assuming it is of the right internal diameter.

Go to your local scrap yard or car tyre repair centre. They will probably let you have one for free. You then have enough rubber bands to last you several years.

Comment

Cannot remember what size inner tube I had,was a car one and way too small for anything but narrow strips as if you cut wider strips there was no way on earth you could stretch it enough to fit onto the rim of your helmet. Would suggest if possible a 4x4,tractor,van maybe or lorry if possible.

Comment

Well my nbc boot has arrived ill post pics when i have time, thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Mcann View Post
                            Cannot remember what size inner tube I had,was a car one and way too small for anything but narrow strips as if you cut wider strips there was no way on earth you could stretch it enough to fit onto the rim of your helmet. Would suggest if possible a 4x4,tractor,van maybe or lorry if possible.
                            I think it was a 4 tonne inner 4.80 / 4.00 x 8

Comment

Why not use the issued chin strap?
                              You're going to be safe and sound in an airsoft site, not exactly gonna be hot enough to melt the whole helmet to your head is it?

It would save you the hassle of cutting up tyres, etc just saying!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

curlyrocks Find out more about curlyrocks
                              Working...
                              X