Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Opinions of how effective MTP actually is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions of how effective MTP actually is?

Never mind DPM or multicam lets get back to 'Trousers, Lightweight' and green shirts

OK I'll get my zimmer frame and leave now shall I

Comment

Originally posted by akey View Post
      Never mind DPM or multicam lets get back to 'Trousers, Lightweight' and green shirts

OK I'll get my zimmer frame and leave now shall I
      Its okay, get a wheelchair. They've installed those ramps bloomin everywhere nowadays! Disabled people have never had it so good!

To be honest, I just enjoy a good whinge. They could tell us to come to work in flip flops and Hawaiian T shirts and I would still find reason to complain. Having said that however, latest rumour was we were going to back to CS95 Cut MTP clothing as the "standard issue". Don't quote me on that as it literally could have been cooked up over a NAAFI break, but so I've heard.

As for tucking it in, It just means we can all get our Stable Belts back out (For those Regt's/Corps that wear them!) and put a bit of pride back into it. Corps Identity and all that!

I think the Beret still has its time yet! I think RSM's across the Army will go into meltdown if they can't pick us up for having fluff on your Beret! Its been hard enough for them since the inclusion of the unshinable Brown Boots!

Comment

And the same was said when battledress was issued and RSM could no longer have you for unshined buttons... and again when 44 and 58 webbing came out man decried it as the end of an era as what would we do without blanco!

99 per cent of army 'bull' comes from the neccesity of keeping thousands of cooped up 19 year olds in peacetime 'busy' as without thigs to clean, shine and polish they tend to get into fights a lot.

seeing as we seem to be perpetually at war with Oceana or whoever these days it's less of an issue.

But mark my words I can't see the beret having much life outside of ceremonial dress in a decade or so. It's possibly the least practical headwear in the world in the field, a pig to keep clean, gets soaked easily, shrinks under the wrong conditions, gives you pretty much zero sun/rain protection etc etc.

While like i've said i think the current kit looks a bag of shit and having handled the stuff it feels that it was *definitely* made by the lowest bidding contractor (this is always the case but at least S95 felt like proper clothes) but it's evolving in a practical way as is all the armys uniform

when i was soldiering you were a puff if you wore knee pads and most units would blast you for wearing them but now its pretty standard, things change.. the army seems to have less time for 'tradition' these days when it comes at the expense of practicality.

- - - Updated - - -

Didnt realise they got rid of stable belts. i loved those. Again royally impractical but looked smart as..

Probably helped that my regiment had jet black ones rather than some sick enducing multi coloured swap shop number..

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
        You say berets are ingrained in the armies history but it's actually a really recent thing in the grand scheme of things.

Going from the 'New Model Army' of 1645 to the modern army of 2013 it's only really been an 'army thing' since the 1950s (and in selected corps since 1940) so thats about 10 per cent of 'army history'. while i agree the beret has great cultural heritage it might be that it's time has come.

I'm sure some gentleman in the mid 1800s was adamant that the 'shako will never be replaced, by god sir it's tradition!'
        weirdly years ago i saw an episode of 'sharpe' where the riflemen were wearing bandannas and i thought 'that looks a bit hollywood/nam then i looked into it and found they'd been an issue items on ships fr wear by sailors since about 1805 so it's entirely possible a few soliders shipped to spain took to wearing them.

Comment

Best use of my stable belt was to open a bottle of beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

hahah, i never ever tried that. Mind you ours had those silver oval sliders and two buckels at the end, we didnt have one with a fancy belt/buckle on it.

Just plain black with a silver buckle.

Comment

You guys are forgetting that combat clothing such as the PCS currently issued to the Forces is primarily for combat, not for airsofting, and certainly not for looking good.
              Yes, the old DPM blends better than MTP in the UK, but its primary use is for on operations in Afghanistan, where alot of combat is in mixed terrain, one minute a soldier might be going through green fields, then walking along a dusty path the next, by having a camouflage that works fairly well in both settings rather than using Desert/Woodland DPM which would work very well in one and give away the position in another, it's more effective and of course cheaper
              It doesn't matter that the MTP doesn't fit in well with most UK training areas, as it is training, I don't think we'll be fighting on our own soil for a while yet.

For airsofting, you will know what the site is like before you even get there, why not wear something that blends into it, rather than what looks cool and then complaining that it doesn't work well for ya?

Comment

Even though I wear MTP, DPM certainly has its uses airsofting. At sites with lots of dense and dark trees I find it a right pig to spot people sometimes. However when the trees thin out a bit and give way to gravel, rocks, grasses, MTP is great.

I have DDPM and find it works very well in autumn (as long as you avoid evergreens!)

That and MTP looks awesome (IMHO).
                Upcoming Games:
                None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

It's interesting that the word "disruptive", whilst removed from the new pattern is still prevalent. It's not camouflage. If you want that then veg up

As mentioned before, All that's happened is the pattern has went from master of one to Jack of all trades (master of none).
                  In mainly woodland I use;
                  In spring I use a mix of Marpat lower and partizan spring upper - even KLMK
                  Summer, DPM mainly but CADPAT/Gorka summer
                  Autumn/winter; MTP/ MARPAT desert lower and DPM upper
                  So the general theme for me is a lighter lower with a darker upper
                  If I had to use one all year then I'd use the Gorka - better all round mix
                  R

Comment

I find that MTP and most light desert camo present less of a silhouette than darker based kit. At EAG Gatwick,where i play,a lot of people wear MTP and Multicam and it works great (at this time of year at least).
                    sigpic

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and scream and shout!

Comment

Well with regards to seasonal Camo. I like the original realtree advantage for autumn, especially oak woods,
                      Photorealistic stuff might have a disadvantage due to 'blobbing out' but at close range it rocks ,
                      my advantage camo stuff actually had me being trod on , joy
                      sigpic.
                      Never underestimate the power of human stupidity......................................... ..
                      Especially mine.

Comment

I don't rate MTP. I used to love it and I still think it looks really cool but it is naff in the woods.

sent from my phone so spelling and stuff may be bad because I am lazy and autocorrect sucks.

Comment

I also use my mtp kit for stalking deer. Deer have very good eyesight for picking out predators in woodland.
                          I've stood twenty feet away from deer when they have walked out in front of me on many an occasion and its not until they've caught a whif of my Old Spice that they've taken off.
                          sigpic
                          "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

So the consensus is that there is no consensus! I think the answer is that it really depends on the environment. As mentioned many times above, MTP is a compromise pattern thats meant to work well in different environments and ultimately, there are quite a few patterns that work better for British woodlands.
                            A lot of the regulars at Tech Brigade where I skirmish use A-TACS FG. I am a convert myself as it works extremely well in the woods.

Comment

MTP is good at what is was intended for, to be a camouflage for all situations from desert to woodland and everything in between, a kind of jack of all trades and master of none type camouflage. The military in an attempt to cut costs wanted to issue one uniform rather than the usual 2 (woodland and desert). MTP allowed them to do that. It was also perfect for Afgan which was neither desert or woodland but a bit of both. As far as airsoft goes, I use DPM woodland, it's cheap to buy online and works well enough in the woodland I play. MTP works well in the autumn and winter time when leaves have fallen and the wooded areas are quite bare. The pic by slava highlights that, from March through to September though, you can't beat DPM on price or performance in British woodland
                              Last edited by salazar; 2 April, 2014, 15:36.
                              My Latest video

Comment

Salazar, have you seen the mtp swimsuits that Z1 are selling, I think these would look very effective on your girls with guns. Especially if you could secure a sponsorship deal!
                                sigpic
                                "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

curlyrocks Find out more about curlyrocks
                                Working...
                                X