british army equipment 1973-77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• british army equipment 1973-77

I take my dad airsofting with me alot. He used to be in the army back in the 70's (1973-77 the years I know of so far), his birthday is coming up and I had the idea to build him an airsoft loadout like what he used back when he was in active service. I know about the slr and gpmg but what other weapons/equipment were used at that time that I can source/buy/make. Money/time isnt a huge issue to me. i'm interested in any form of guns pistols, smgs, rifle and snipers included

Re: british army equipment 1973-77

Pistols would have been the Webly (though not many as they were replaced after WW2) Browning Hi-power, Sterling SMG (airsoft versions don't exist) Parker Hale Snipers Rifle. Sadly the only real option you have is the SLR.

Kit wise, OD trousers, DPM smock, 58pat webbing (I have a nearly complete set I can sell you for about £15 if you want it) boots with cardboard souls and putties.

Comment

Thanks alot mate might take you up on the webbing offer real soon. SLR with wooden furniture? He was in the grenadiers, I assume there is insignia that is easy enough to get hold of?

Comment

68 pattern camo jacket, OG lightweight trousers ( with leg pocket ), puttees!!!
        Oh and good luck sourcing a fully wooded L1a1 SLR ( without having to sell the car )... Very very rare and expensive!!.
        Ares do a nice black plastic version but these are scarce very scarce... Good luck.
        sigpic

Comment

In 1977 the army wore next to no insignia on its combat dress , its only in the 90s we went all US and started looking like boy scouts on crack.

kit for the mid to late 70s would be (standard issue):
          beret (only place you would see any guards insignia)
          KF shirt
          68 pattern smock (para smock if you could get one0
          Lightweights or if you could find them 60 patterns or 68 pattern dpm trousers (came in around 1971)
          dms Boots
          putteess

58 webbing

MKV 'turtle' helmet

SLR, SMG, l4 LMG (bren with a different 7.62 mag and chamber) GPMG or Browning high power pistol. Snipers had l42 sniper rifles which were accurised and lightened no4s.

This was pretty much the kit the army started the 70s with and used until about 1986 on the whole.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and wooden furniture was on the early models adopted around 1957. By the 70s the black plastic versions were coming in and wood ones less common. Very common to see the odd ones with mixs of wood and plastic furniture.

Comment

Ahem. Gadge, the DPM Para Smock only came into being in 1978. The much loved Denison 1959 Pattern was in use, and as Guards Para was disbanded in 1976, he could wear one of them.
            I remember in NI in 1989, there was a Guards Battalion there at the same time as 45 - if they had a windproof smock (private purchase only back then) their regimental tailors had to take the hoods off, as they weren't allowed to wear them.

Oh, and for some reason, they still wore massive rank chevrons, the type you usually saw on army No 2 uniforms on their combat jackets. Baffled me.
            Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...Aperture-Sight

They do come up now and then, but as that one looks to have sold, you might have to contact the buyer with an offer.

Unless it was you or your dad who bought it?
              There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

christ thats over the odds. My wood furniture ARES with four mags, sights protector (dont use em btw they can crack the sights as they are a a tight fit) and sling cost me £400 about two years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
                Ahem. Gadge, the DPM Para Smock only came into being in 1978. The much loved Denison 1959 Pattern was in use, and as Guards Para was disbanded in 1976, he could wear one of them.
                Note i said mid to late 70s as he wasnt sure of his fathers service era If he was in later than 77 then it's feasable to have had a para smock on exercise if he'd had a lenient unit... as you know some units dont let you wear anything but issue kit, others dont give a toss when you're in the field (i was lucky enough to be in the latter), but yeah you're right unlikely for guards and 1977 is an odd time frame to pick really as most people go for 'falklands' or 'cold war about to kick off' of the 80s. Not a lot going on for the army in 77 other then NI and a jubilee review

You'd probably be better off (and find it easier to source) an early to mid 80s kit set up than an late 70s one.

One thing you will come up against is that 68 pattern trousers (and to a lesser degree smocks) are getting scarcer in sensible sizes with the largest (size 9 fetching silly money online and easily going for £100 if in good nick... i sold a pretty damaged one myself for £50 a month ago).

85 patter is dire but easier to find, as are for some reason the aforementioned dpm para smocks.

Comment

PM Sent.

Comment

Originally posted by zombiechris
                    Just a quick point to note on the comment "Sterling SMG (airsoft versions don't exist)". check out the smg page of www.m*************r.co.uk they had to of them which are unfortunately sold, but you never know they may be able to point you in the right direction.
                    Which reinforces the statement "Airsoft versions don't exist" as they aren't airsoft. I think what was actually meant by it, was that no airsoft manufacturer has taken the time to fabricate one and bung it out on general sale.
                    There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by BAMF View Post
                      Which reinforces the statement "Airsoft versions don't exist" as they aren't airsoft. I think what was actually meant by it, was that no airsoft manufacturer has taken the time to fabricate one and bung it out on general sale.
                      Actually, the Asahi L2A3 on there was a 6mm airsoft version, and actually produced (albeit in small quantities), but it's a *very* old design, and used an external airline. I know a guy who had one, years ago, but he sold it on before I could buy it. I seem to recall it wasn't quite full size, either.

I'm currently halfway through making a prototype, and tooling up to make three AEG versions, with a view to eventual small scale production.

Comment

that was exactly what i meant BAMF.

To all practial purposes.... a skimishable, affordable mass production sterling you can buy and play with on that day and actually have a hope of hitting anything and that actually *looks* like a real one do not exist.

The fact that I've got pictures of me skirmishing with Sandy's custom built one means that clearly at least one does exist.

I just dont expect people to take me *quite* so literally

Comment

It's been a real bone of contention for me for ages.
                          I did ask once "why does no-one produce affordable versions of this?" only to be told by the M4 (you know, the custom, upgraded Magpulled ones with no originality) wielding hordes that "there's no demand"

Yes there is. Old people like us want them
                          Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Yep, loads of people want sterling in 'airsoft' versions.

Airsofters (naturally)
                            Re-enactors (a lot of them too)
                            Star wars cos players

Proably more people than would actually want some obscure m4 variant or that xm8 thing that never even got issued.. certainly more people than ever wanted a bloody Famas

But you can say the same about loads of guns that would have massive appeal.

There are no end of people crying out for a decent bren thats not £700, for a reliable spring k98 or No4 or SMLE (and doesnt do something silly like shell ejecting) but the companies keep churning out bloody m4s.

Look at the SLR, two companies made them and they outstrip demand by miles everytime the release any. In my team (Royal Union Rifles) we've only just managed to source one for each of the guys in the team as at one point they were going second hand for near enough new prices.

But anything other than a Dull4 is a risk in the eyes of the companies as it requires some actual research and setting up new tooling whereas cloning someone else stuff is easier i imagine.

Comment

All points I made before. All points that the M4 sheep poo-pooed.
                              SLR's would go down a storm, as would Brens, No4 and a Sterling.
                              Trust me ICS, there IS a demand.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Chevaliernoir Find out more about Chevaliernoir
                              Working...
                              X