different versions of mtp pcs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different versions of mtp pcs

hey ive heard there are two different versions of mtp pcs, i was wondering if anyone knew the differences between versions 1 and 2? thanks

Re: different versions of mtp pcs

MTP and PCS are classed as two different things. The pattern has some very subtle differences (Not that any of us could really tell the difference when they were issued to us). However, the main difference between the two were that PCS had angled pockets on them where as the pockets on MTP were identical to the CS95 Pockets. I think MTP was just used to fill the gap for the role out of PCS on ops issue only. PCS is now main ops issue and MTP (as far as im aware) isn't being issued anymore.

Thats my understanding of it. I'm not a QMs but thats how I understood it when we were told about the role out of PCS.

Comment

thanks, wasnt there two types of jackets? think i saw somewhere that one has a black liner or something. sorry if im sounding picky but its for cadet use and theyre picky with these things

Comment

That sounds like the latest PCS Goretex. I dont know of any field jacket that has a black liner in it.

Comment

Originally posted by scotchbrite85 View Post
          MTP and PCS are classed as two different things. The pattern has some very subtle differences (Not that any of us could really tell the difference when they were issued to us). However, the main difference between the two were that PCS had angled pockets on them where as the pockets on MTP were identical to the CS95 Pockets. I think MTP was just used to fill the gap for the role out of PCS on ops issue only. PCS is now main ops issue and MTP (as far as im aware) isn't being issued anymore.

Thats my understanding of it. I'm not a QMs but thats how I understood it when we were told about the role out of PCS.
          Completely wrong!

MTP is the current pattern of camoflage.

PCS is the design of the uniform, atm there is 2 versions. Warm weather and temperate weather. Temperate is thicker and has more polyester to make it wear better, warm weather is thinner and contains more cotton to speed up drying when wet.

MTP pattern Cs95 uniform where issued before PCS was purchased.

Comment

ah right, thanks, are there any differences in the cut? i.e where the pockets are

Comment

Originally posted by hapi View Post
              Completely wrong!

MTP is the current pattern of camoflage.

PCS is the design of the uniform, atm there is 2 versions. Warm weather and temperate weather. Temperate is thicker and has more polyester to make it wear better, warm weather is thinner and contains more cotton to speed up drying when wet.

MTP pattern Cs95 uniform where issued before PCS was purchased.
              Well, there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by supersixfour View Post
                ah right, thanks, are there any differences in the cut? i.e where the pockets are
                There is no difference between warm and temperate cuts. There should be a new shirt coming out without the pockets/smaller pockets to allow the sleeve to be rolled up properly. As for jackets there is the gortex which has a black fleece lining to the collar or the field jacket with zips under the arms and fleece pockets under the big bottom pockets, although these sound like good ideas they are not. The Para's get MTP Para smocks instead of the field jackets.

Comment

Are they actually making PCS Para Smocks? I thought they weren't going to bother... Was some talk on arrse last year about it being a redundant bit of kit, just so Para's can feel special Personally I think Para's are special but does that warrant their own line of clothing when no body jumps out of planes any more (like really, it just doesn't happen like it did).

Simple way to explain PCS and MTP - two terms...

MTP is the new pattern based on Crye's colour scheme so essentially Multicam, but the actual pattern of the "paint" is more in line with the brush strokes of traditional DPM.

Remember the US ACU camouflage pattern. It was not a camouflage pattern - ACU is Army Combat Uniform and denotes the style of the clothing, an upgrade from BDU - Battle Dress Uniform. The actual pattern that everyone means when they say ACU is actually UCP - Universal Camouflage Pattern!!

So to clarify...

When the MOD first got the licence to produce clothing in MTP they used the new colours and printed it onto the existing "CS95" style of clothing. So the same trousers/shirts/smocks/MVP were produced in the old "style" of clothing in the new pattern as a stop gap due to the incompatibility of of either DPM or DDPM in the mixed environments of Afghanistan. Due to irrigation and things like that you can move quickly between an arid zone to a green zone on one patrol.

Because the traditional CS95 cut was designed for fighting in temperate environments (Northern Europe, to fight the Russians in Germany etc - it's that legacy) a new design of clothing was produced to suit our current commitments in warmer climates such as the middle east. This new design of clothing is called PCS - Personal Clothing System - that is the new "style" and as said by Hapi, this replaces the older heavier CS95 "style" and uses a different fabric.

Quick reference -

PCS (Personal Clothing System) - is a "style" or more accurately a sewing pattern the denotes the style of uniform.
                  ACU (Army Combat Uniform) - is an American "style" or more accurately a sewing pattern the denotes the style of uniform.
                  CS95 and CS2000 (Combat Soldier 95 or 2000) is a "style" or more accurately a sewing pattern the denotes the style of uniform. There weren't many changes made with CS2000, but the new type smock (PRE PCS) is one of them and was available in DPM and DDPM before it was also made in MTP.
                  BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) - is an American "style" or more accurately a sewing pattern the denotes the style of uniform.

MTP (Multi-Terrain Pattern) - is a camo pattern. Similar to DPM in the shapes of colour but I believe it uses the same colour pattern as Crye's early Multicam (although Crye have released newer palates). PCS clothing looks lighter in colour to the older CS95 stuff but I assume that might be due to the lighter weight of fabric used in PCS clothing, the same way the Paclite PCS Goretex gear is a dodgy colour.
                  UCP (Universal Camouflage Pattern) - is a camo pattern. It's American and was printed onto the ACU style clothing. Lots of softers liked it, lots of soldiers did not. There were several successful lawsuits in the States where soldiers claimed damages after being injured in contacts wearing the camo after the US DOD's own people realised it was pretty poor camo.
                  DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) - is a camo pattern. This is the old "woodland" that was replaced by MTP. It is still one of the best camo patterns to date in NATO trials for woodland encounters.
                  DDPM (Desert Disruptive Pattern Material) - is a camo pattern. This is the older desert camo. It uses two shades of colour and was upgraded to a four colour version, however it was licenses to Saddam Hussain (when he was our ally) shortly before Iraq war one, and as a consequence was never adopted by the British forces as it could have made hostile/friendly identification difficult. It was produced in small numbers and issued, I think mostly to RAF ground forces as a trial item that was discontinued.[/B][/B]

I hope this helps, I have rambled but having sold combat gear for years I have had to do some research and this is some of what I know.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

supersixfour Find out more about supersixfour
                  Working...
                  X