Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Para NI

Afternoon all,

Firstly, my pictures are terrible! The Canon I have doesn't seem to work that well!

Anyway, I've been working on my Para NI impression recently. Here's the kit list:

-SLR, with small street map on butt
    -Remmington Shotgun, too take out those hinges!
    -DPM Para Smock, Pre 84
    -Lightweight Trousers
    -58 Webbing, Ammo's, Gas Mask, P44 Water Bottle, Mirror for searching under cars, etc
    -NI Flack Jacket
    -RAC Helmet, usually just with net, but used it for Falklands recently
    -Various Paperwork: Aide Memouir, Vehicle Searches, Issue Map, P Check form
    -DMS Boots and Putees

Improvements to do:
    -Denison Smock
    -Proper Para Helmet, with Riot Visor mounted

Pictures:

Shameful Bedroom pictures :lol:

I will attempt to get better pictures, but the weathers been terrible and there was no one home!

Let me know what you think

Re: 2 Para NI

You see those rifle butt holders on ebay a lot. I've never seen pictures of them being used. Like 58 pattern pistol cases, loads made, you just dont see them in period pics. Have you got any pics of the time of it in use, personally i'd take it off your webbing. We run a cold war re-enactment group and we dont use them as the three guys in the group who served in the early 80s dont recall *ever* seeing them.

Comment

Concur on the butt holder, didn't even know such a thing existed, have never even seen one till now. Usual method of carry was the cradle, rifle butt out, hands holding the working parts in the middle, or the butt on the right mag pouch, hand as always on the pistol grip. Try perfect the "Belfast Lean" as a pose

Comment

Like i say i think it was a 'nice idea' that never actually saw much (if any) use but is hawked about on ebay as 'issue kit'. Great impression btw to the OP, i'm just not convinced about the butt holder pouch and think you'd look more accurate without it... still i'm always happy to be proven wrong with a couple of period pics of it in use by more than one unit (it may well have been trialed(

Comment

Thanks Guys! I understand what your saying about the butt holder, there's a reason why they are all brand new! Thanks Gadge. I think I've seen some pictures of your group and it looks fab!

Shamus, can you school me on the Belfast Lean ?

Comment

Well we're always recruiting if you ever fancy doing a living history show or cold war game with us!

Comment

Originally posted by Giddo View Post
              Thanks Guys! I understand what your saying about the butt holder, there's a reason why they are all brand new! Thanks Gadge. I think I've seen some pictures of your group and it looks fab!

Shamus, can you school me on the Belfast Lean ?
              LOL, it referred to squaddies leaning on corners looking round rather than taking up fire positions.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/241435229996818549/

Comment

Originally posted by Giddo View Post

I will attempt to get better pictures, but the weathers been terrible
                That'll be perfect for a photo shoot then... Weathers always shite over here!

Comment

Originally posted by shamus5178 View Post
                  LOL, it referred to squaddies leaning on corners looking round rather than taking up fire positions.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/241435229996818549/
                  I like the way the wee boy looks like he's about to trip the squaddie up in that picture.
                  102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

If memory serves me right we used to get issued NI boots, which were like DMS but higher legged and softer leather (lighter) and you did not need putties..

Comment

Gadge's NI order is pretty sweet Giddo...

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=232102

Sent on Tapatalk, apologies for spelling!

Comment

Page 9, on Tapatalk.

Sent on Tapatalk, apologies for spelling!

Comment

Originally posted by wargar View Post
                          If memory serves me right we used to get issued NI boots, which were like DMS but higher legged and softer leather (lighter) and you did not need putties..
                          Yep, they were called patrol boots, forerunner to BHC (boot combat high)

Comment

I used to have a pair of NI patrol boots, really comfy. Wore them to pieces unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

260461_10151181373481539_903319032_n.jpg

This is what my regiment wore in NI in the 70s. For street patrols etc.

Beret, 68 pattern smock, 60 pattern trousers DMS boots and reduced order webbing. The m69 jacket is an original US one. before we started having our own covers made we bought them direct from the yanks... some still came with blood stains and graffiti from vietnam service.

- - - Updated - - -

For more 'countryside' patrols it was more like this:

304134_10150400894291539_147774188_n.jpg

Full fighting order webbing, MKV helmets, KF shirt, DMS boots, puttees, 68 pattern trousers and a windproof SAS smock.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is our group replicating some NI type scenes. We do have a fairly unlikely mix of riot MKVs and cromwell helmets here though. My fiance re-enacts WRAC in some of the pics.
                            crich, derby pic.jpg

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Last few (btw the chap nearest the camera in the above pic - last pic last post - was in the army during the period we re-enact)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Giddo Find out more about Giddo
                              Working...
                              X