Falklands Para, Take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falklands Para, Take 2

Last year I did a Falklands impression, it wasn't all that accurate, I thought it was time I redid it. I plan to go to shows this summer.

My Kit is:

-Arctic Windproof (Modified with knitted cuffs, compass pouch, name tape)
    -Day Glo Tropical Trousers
    -SAS Bergen
    -Modified 58 webbing
    -Steel Para Helmet, Scrim net, inner tube band, hessian scrim
    -DMS Boots/Puttees
    -Ares SLR, custom wooden furniture

I know tropics aren't to everyone's opinion about their use in the Falklands, but I spoke to some veterans, who informed me quite a few did wear tropics down south, with the quilted things underneath.

Opinions, tips or improvements are welcome!

Re: Falklands Para, Take 2

Deffo change the tropics to 68 pattern or windproof trousers.

Might be some folklore they were worn but i've never seen pics. Also in 'impressions' you should portray the 'norm' not the one guy who did something wierd... if you dont it sparks of a load of guys copying you who all do that 'cos it looks cool' and creates a false impression... case in hand is drop leg holsters in wwii airborne units...

There are about six pictures of guys wearing them, about 6 guys in 12,000 men across two divison but every other re-enactor wears them to look 'cool'.

also put the grenade in your webbing. Hanging it off webbing is really 'yank' and not something we do in the british army as a norm.

Fill your pouches too, it looks rubbish having empty pouches.. personally i never have enough room in my pouches for the kit im carrying whether its airsoft filmsim or living history.

FFD is a lot more useful taped you your rifle or where you currently have your grenade.

Also fill the bandolier... if its empty you would bin it.. they were disposable in times of war... it should also be in a pouch if you clearly have room.

If you cant fill it with inert rounds make wooden blocks... i personally keep zip lock bags of bbs in mine.

You'll also find that those loops on the back of your bergan are for your spade.

I'm being hyper picky, not bad to be honest but if it was me i'd change the things i've mentioned.

oh and fasten your pockets up, your thigh pocket is either undone or missing a button... you're expected to admin stuff like that yourself, thats why you carry a 'housewife' sewing kit in your kit!

(hyper picky bit no2... your puttees are on backwards... the > should point behind you not forwards.)

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also say that those tropics are probably not the right pattern for the 80s anyway. They are deffo not 'day glo' 70s type. Look to me like the post 85 ones.

The 70s/80s tropics are proper bright. Like this. This is my friend Sam wearing my late 70s early 80s jungle kit. You can see how much brighter the pattern on the early ones was, the idea was that they would be permanently wet so they were printed brighter so they would still be disruptive while soaked whereas normal DPM doesnt work so well.

trops.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Again pic of me wearing my trops with my sas smock back in the day. Its a bad pic but you can see the difference in shade still.trop2.jpg

Comment

Cheers Gadge, I see what your saying about the trousers, I do have sets of 68 and Windproofs. The grenade idea I got off this guy-

I got plenty of mags to fill the pouches, it left them out for some reason! And I noticed the trouser button was undone when I looked at the photos! *cringe*

I'm defiantly going to fill the bandolier with blocks of wood, I've only realised how silly it looks when empty!

The spade is where it is, as it is easier to acess the inside of the bergen, unlike the loops, where they have to be undone, like this guy-

Blast about the puttee's! It was the first time I'd done them, can't say I'm fond of them!

Thanks for the improvements

Comment

If that is 58 pattern webbing, you have the wrong water bottle carrier. When you get a full set, where all the seems on the sides of the pouches are, use current issued green string, and a trussing needle and sow all the pouches together. That's what I did to mine. Then when it gets wet, it won't dry in a funny shape. And it stops all the pouches rattling while running!! I hope this helps. Good effort though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You are also missing a night vision mount on your para helmet mate. And a kids kombat assault vest Haha looks decent mate, I have a pair of old 70s/ early 80s tropics you can borrow mate

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Giddo Find out more about Giddo
          Working...
          X