Sbs gulf war 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sbs gulf war 1

Looking for advice on an SBS gulf war 1 load out. ive done the GW1 SAS (esp the various B20 loadouts) as much as humanly possible to the point all i need now is a few gympys or milans and either a land rover or a chinook! so i thought id turn to the SBS. ive seen the footage on you tube of the shakey boats roping down from the chinook to retake the british embassy in kuwait but the footage is short and taken from a distance and you can hardly make them out. they actually look more like theyre wearing kit the Royal Marines would have worn in GW1 and not as eclectic as the SAS. but since they are so secretive i cant find anything on them em! So if youve got any thoughts let us know.
    Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Re: Sbs gulf war 1

Originally posted by URI ORLOV View Post
    Looking for advice on an SBS gulf war 1 load out. ive done the GW1 SAS (esp the various B20 loadouts) as much as humanly possible to the point all i need now is a few gympys or milans and either a land rover or a chinook! so i thought id turn to the SBS. ive seen the footage on you tube of the shakey boats roping down from the chinook to retake the british embassy in kuwait but the footage is short and taken from a distance and you can hardly make them out. they actually look more like theyre wearing kit the Royal Marines would have worn in GW1 and not as eclectic as the SAS. but since they are so secretive i cant find anything on them em! So if youve got any thoughts let us know.
    the SBS were in the eastern desert doing the same as what the B2O mission difference is they pulled it off, they would have worn similar kit as RM

anything else you wanna know just ask i run a RM living history group based on RM from 1989 to 1995
    Do Something Brave....Then Run Like Hell!
    ::Yorkshire Airsoft:: http://www.yorkshireairsoft.co.uk
    ::Cold War Warriors 1985 - 1995:: http://coldwarwarriors.proboards.com/

Comment

I don't want to get picky, but.... the SBS missions were NOT the same as B20. Western desert had a priority on preventing attacks on Israel. Eastern was more concerned with OP's on the various MSRs and disrupting communication lines. B20 was a foot based patrol, which with 20/20 hindsight was a mistake. SBS had a mission where they nicked a big section of fibre optic cable, then booby trapped the damaged/missing cable - in by Chinook, out by the same as it was done VERY quickly. Some of the cable was on a plaque, on display in the Lord Nelson on Poole Quay, then it went to The Boar when the landlord moved.
      Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Originally posted by WYATT666 View Post
        the SBS were in the eastern desert doing the same as what the B2O mission difference is they pulled it off, they would have worn similar kit as RM

anything else you wanna know just ask i run a RM living history group based on RM from 1989 to 1995
        Cheers mate, since i posted that ive actually managed to see additional footage of them retaking the embassy & they do indeed wear standard kit, except they carried the M16 A2.

Nice, im a retrosoft kind of guy myself. you got any pics of your RM living history kit?
        Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Also Uri I have seen Dads pics, and some were wearing Tropic DPM kit with m16's.
          Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by URI ORLOV View Post
            Cheers mate, since i posted that ive actually managed to see additional footage of them retaking the embassy & they do indeed wear standard kit, except they carried the M16 A2.

Nice, im a retrosoft kind of guy myself. you got any pics of your RM living history kit?
            none at the moment other than this one:

my 1977 109 S3 FFR she served with the RM also with SBS (we have this fact)

i am slowly working on the site and kit info please feel free to pm me for more info
            Do Something Brave....Then Run Like Hell!
            ::Yorkshire Airsoft:: http://www.yorkshireairsoft.co.uk
            ::Cold War Warriors 1985 - 1995:: http://coldwarwarriors.proboards.com/

Comment

Can you give the link wyatt to your living history group webpage? I am interested in joining.

Comment

Brilliant Wyatt, do you or any of your group ever try your hand at Falklands era kit or is it strictly late 80s? Thats sort of my main interest these days, kit collecting wise.

Comment

You might be interested then uri. If you like the RM/SBS sort of kit i got my hands on ye olde windproof very first kind with rank tab to front and rear. so comfy yet so expensive.

Comment

Still got my one from 1988. wire's long gone from the hood, and the windproof trousers have shrunk in my wardrobe. Looking at the difference in the dpm between back then and now ii's amazing at the drop in quality. My 20 year old para smock seems more robust than the stuff they're making now as well.
                    Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

most UK M16s were actually A1s that were sometimes fitted with A2 handguards or M203 launchers

Comment

Originally posted by Special bus View Post
                        You might be interested then uri. If you like the RM/SBS sort of kit i got my hands on ye olde windproof very first kind with rank tab to front and rear. so comfy yet so expensive.

Really? The very 1st kind? That would make it a 68 pattern Mk1 RM pattern windproof smock then, made of poplin instead of gaberdine. Does it still have the wire hood. If so, your one lucky man indeed. I have the RM & SAS pattern Arctic Windproof smock & trousers too, but they are not the very 1st kind, but they were used in the Falklands. There is so much variation in the MK1s (Used in the Falklands) & MK2s (post falklands ones often referred to as the 85 pattern) in that they all are of the same design but have subtle variations. The RM one i have is a later MK1 which still has the wire hood & front & back rank slides. And yeah...they were very expensive to say the least!

Comment

i dunno then lol It has one rank tab to front and one rank tab to the rear, wire hood, admin pocket to left and ffd to right, but it was Dads one he was issued when he was at CTC (1980), dunno if that helps. He wanted me to pay £80 but then decided just to give it to me (lots of persuasion was needed) Might sell it dunno if i was is there any takers?

Comment

Cool, youd need to slap up a pic to be sure 1st. But by the sounds of it, if it has a pocket on each sleeve then that makes it a MK2 version mate, you see thats the main way of telling the MK1 from the MK2 straight off- the MK 1 only has one pocket sleeve on the left. I also have the MK 2 RM & SAS pattern Arctic windproof smocks & trousers & both sets have different shades/patterns of dpm- thats what i mean in them being of the same design but with subtle variations. So do you have a Falklands RM or SBS impression yourself?

Comment

I want to do one but i only have an AK spetsnaz, so i need a decent rifle preferably SLR or Armalite. I also need Arctic trousers or i might use my dragon supplies sample tropics with arctic smock. and my chest rig might go for a 90's ireland/jungle warfare look. i have got Dads pics to fall back on if i need help. any pics of your SBS loadouts?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Brandon 35 Years old been playing airsoft since i was 9- the days before AEGs were the norm. Find out more about Brandon
                              Working...
                              X