• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British - Emags!

1 million units were bought

Comment

Take the price something would cost you as a normal person, multiply by at least 10, that's what the MoD ends up paying for it. However, there's nothing unique about that fact when it comes to the EMAGs, so there's no real point getting worked up about it any more than there is about any piece of kit we've bought in the last few decades.

Anyway, with your average load of ~12 magazines using these saves 1kg per man over the old steel type, and they're far more reliable and consistent in terms of feeding. Presumably they're also a lot less prone to getting burning hot when exposed to the afghan sun being plastic rather than metal, despite being black, which is nice.
      REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

we had a few of these rock up on herrick 12, aside from the weight thing being good, the biggest concern was could they take a round like the old one, a suprising reaction you may think but we had 6 guys take rounds in the mag pouches which saved em.

Must admit i was quite suprised by that reaction but its a fair one!
        Originally posted by Bluegill
        5 years Backyard Skirmishing...

I hope that's not an airsoft euphemism

Comment

Was it the mags themselves that did the saving though? Only there's a fair thickness of brass, lead and copper stored inside all those magazines that probably provides a lot of the bulk. Honest question, be interested to know.

Comment

Fair reply mate, and seeing your trade youd prob know more than me. Like i said i was suprised at the reaction myself, not the question you expect to get. But if youve ever seen a hit mag its the metal from the mag twisting into the rounds that seem to stop it. The concern was theyd shatter thus losing that 'solid' piece of brass if you see what i mean.

It just wasnt the question id expected, got the normal, how much, how much do they weigh, but then 'can they take a round. I put the question back up but never got a reply lol

Comment

No you're quite right, interesting point to raise actually I'd never even considered that myself.

To take an educated guess, I think an EMAG full of ammo will probably do a fairly similar job in terms of protection, the issue would probably be more when the magazines are empty. But then the issue more boils down to making sure the kit we issue gives proper ceramic plate coverage, troops should've really have to worry about whether their mags will stop bullets or not.

Comment

I think is was born of the start of the tour when there hadnt been a proper call made on side plates in the osprey, after a couple lads got hit in the mags and sadly in the side the side plate was made compulsary for our lot. Thats when the whole mag taking a round was born from i think, one of the many obsessions out there:D

Comment

I worked with the USMC on H12 and their unit purchased a mix of P & E mags.

Interestingly the original Pmag (or at least the ones they had) where pre filled and came in bandoliers of 5 mags. The idea was to empty and throw the empty mag as it had mo re-usable components to be used as IED

They had feed issues with these and not very reliable

Only saw PMags at the end of tour as the paras where the first battle group to be issued with them
                  NE SF Team needs YOU! go to http://tf22.freeforums.org/index.php for further info...

Comment

Originally posted by spike74 View Post
                    The idea was to empty and throw the empty mag as it had mo re-usable components to be used as IED
                    Apart from the biggest come on know to man! Lol

Interesting concept tho, although all plastic mags surely reuseable though, giving old terry a few mags to use with seized m16s? Did the p mags take off at all?

We had them purely as we were allocated a number of items for in theatre feedback before general issue.

Worked with the USMC? That must have been really quite interesting, i didnt realise what crappy conditions they really live in until i saw it with my own eyes.

Comment

i worked with the USMC on H12 in sangin and they bought loadsa stuff with em, i used to love going through the hq building in nolay as it was like a freezer. strangley caught a cold and had to buy blankets when i got back to bastion at the end of tour due to air con too lol
                      It's not about you dying for your country...
                      Its about making your enemies die for theres

Comment

oooh nolay, lucky you lol spent some time in wishtan, equally nice:D

Comment

Ooh wishtan you were here I think was a certain battle groups motto.

The p mags didn't really take off. The USMC medic I had with me had loads of stoppages and had to go back to recover his half empty mags

He reverted back to old school colt mags which were ace

The E mags have had good reviews (speaking to the lads that have just RIP'd out)
                          NE SF Team needs YOU! go to http://tf22.freeforums.org/index.php for further info...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
                          Working...
                          X