Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Webley Revolver

Originally posted by MGraham View Post
    It sounds bad but am not massively concerned about the historical accuracy. I just want something that look's cool and is instantly recognisable.
    Get a TM M1911A1 for a Brit WW2 loadout. Leave it stock and your sorted. That's what I use. I have the WE Mk1 Browning HP, too, but I'd not call that a skirmish weapon, particularly in the cold.

Comment

As far as I know, all WW2 Brit issue 1911A1s were, like the Brit issue Thompsons, chambered for the original round - .45 ACP.
      .455s were still in use by the Army in 1942 from what I can see. Here's a photo of a page from a 1942 English Infantry Weapon handbook:

Comment

That drawing is an M1911A1. All evidence I can find is that all the .455 calibre guns were M1911s, made before May 1919, not M1911A1s made from 1924 onwards.
        Check out "Foreign Service Models" here: http://www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm
        3) Colt M1911 British Contract: S/N W29117 to W97000 and S/N C29 to C74,200 =
        May 1912 to April 1919 (Approx. 17,500 pistols were shipped to England. Serial
        numbers that begin with a "C" were .45 ACP and serial numbers that begin with a
        "W" were .455 Webley calibers.

4) Colt M1911 British RAF Contract: S/N W91,100 to W110,696 = Jan. 22, 1918 to
        April 28, 1919 (Approx. 10,000 pistols were shipped to the Royal Air Force from this
        serial number range and were .455 Webley caliber.)

5) British M1911A1 WW II Lend-Lease: From all S/N's of U.S. M1911A1 models =
        March 11, 1941 through the rest of WW II ( The U.S. furnished 39,592 pistols to
        Britain through the Lend-Lease Act.)
        Underscore by me.
        All US models were .45 ACP, therefore all M1911A1s in British Army use were .45 ACP. The RAF and Navy inherited the .455 M1911s that survived WW1, and the possibility that some were still in circulation there is why that manual mentions it - no point making 2 manuals when 1 will do.

Note some from #3 were .455, and some were .45 ACP.

Also bear in mind that Britain had bought a lot of M1928s just before WW2, so it made sense logistically to use the standard M1911A1 as it uses the same ammo and (deviating back on topic slightly) .455 was no longer being used in the Webleys (which were now using .38 calibre), so the supply chain was easier for the army, where large amounts of the ammo would be needed. Not to mention a .455 M1911A1 would be more expensive as it's a "special".

The retention of the .455s by the RAF and RN wouldn't be as much of an issue as they're not likely to need to use them much.
        Last edited by No1_sonuk; 8 July, 2011, 17:48.

Comment

But to end the debate and get back to the original topic.... no one does a decent airsoft suitable Webley like gun.

Comment

No. The closest you can get is a tanaka revolver such as the M29 which was a private purchase seen used in WW2 by a few officers.

Comment

I have a Tanaka M10 in my 37 webbing holster. A bit of cosmetic work on the grips, and it does the trick from a few feet away.
              Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbadon101 View Post
                No. The closest you can get is a tanaka revolver such as the M29 which was a private purchase seen used in WW2 by a few officers.
                But my point is, why use a "looks-like" revolver (which is hard to find anyway), when a more historically accurate (and more skirmishable) alternative is available: M1911A1?
                http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=1868
                Out of stock @ Zero One, but not everywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
                  But my point is, why use a "looks-like" revolver (which is hard to find anyway), when a more historically accurate (and more skirmishable) alternative is available: M1911A1?
                  http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=1868
                  Out of stock @ Zero One, but not everywhere...
                  But you will also see I was answering the OP's question in the post above. As that is the CLOSEST you will get to a WEBLEY REVOLVER used by British forces during WW2.

Comment

Exactly. Type it s l o w l y so he can get it this time.
                    Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

I love to bump an old thread, there is now a Webley service revolver for airsoft 8) so when are Z getting them in?
                      sigpic.
                      Never underestimate the power of human stupidity......................................... ..
                      Especially mine.

Comment

I don't know but I've ordered one from elsewhere

P.S Kudos my friend this is an epic back from the dead thread revitalisation

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

MGraham Find out more about MGraham
                        Working...
                        X