Mk7 helmet and Mk3/4 Osprey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk7 helmet and Mk3/4 Osprey

Hey guys, just been wondering, purely academically since even if I was so inclined I couldn't afford one, is owning a mk7 helmet/mk4 osprey privately illegal?

Mk7s particulary seem to be all over the web at the moment. And beyond the ethical dodginess of having kit not all troops in Afghanistan do, I have a feeling they may well be legally quite hot to own.

On a less hypothetical note, since Osprey Mk3s are now obsolete are they available anywhere in PECOC pattern? I saw a few on an auction site but by the time I had the money they had sold out... But if you do get your hands on one, are they legal to own now?

Re: Mk7 helmet and Mk3/4 Osprey

The Mk7s should be illegal to own as there isn't enough to go around for troops in afghan, so anyone who owns one who isnt serving, is a complete cnut in my opinion.

Comment

Yeah, get a MK6 until the Mk7's become commercially available.
      SHADOW COMPANY - (IC)/SNIPER

Comment

Just to clarify, I wasnt going to get one, I agree with the typo above , as I said in the initial post, I think it's morally wrong to be using kit troops don't have universally... I don't use helmets atm anyway. I was just curious since Mk7s are everywhere and seeing kit like that up makes me curious on why it's allowed.

I am interested in getting hold of a Mk3 though, if they are legal and I think everyone is now on the Mk4, so Mk3s should be hitting surplus legitimately?

Comment

The Ospreys are legal to own and there have been several of the trial pattern ones on the bay recently.

The Mk 7 is very illegal to own though, however a Mich 2002 with a cover looks very similar or if you can afford one an AC900 is almost identical but in black (and can be bough as a civi so no legal ramification).

Comment

The mich 2002 with Millport and a cover is my plan if I ever want a helmet, mostly I use a cap though.

The hybrid ospreys went before I could rustle up the cash, but nowi do they are gone, wondering if anyone knew if they were likely to hit surplus in a big way. Glad to hear the ospreys are ok to own, suspected as much, since they are just platecarriers, not the plates themselves, but good to have my thoughts reinforced

Comment

In regards to mk 7s there is a team of rmp who are actively picking off people selling them on sites and yep airsoft sites too. Its nore out of principle and discourage soldiers selling them rather than a shortage now.

Was at a procurrement brief bout the new stuff the other day and got told.
              Originally posted by Bluegill
              5 years Backyard Skirmishing...

I hope that's not an airsoft euphemism

Comment

oneshot is right. There is a massive department in the Royal Military Police, and their job is to spend the day trawling the web for kit. As its a military offence to sell equipment (due to it being owned by the Army), the RMP have had a massive crack down over the last year or two.
                In fairness, if you are a civvy and own it, then theres nothing much anybody can do. I wouldnt say its illegal, as if you go into a surplus shop and buy one theres nothing anybody can do. Your not at fault, and in reality the shop isnt either. The soldier who sold it in the first place is the person at fault.
                The only time i would be annoyed at a civvy wearing one is if he 'procured it' illegally or by immoral ways. If it 'fell off the back of a lorry' then i wouldnt be best pleased.
                If you arent forces, and do sell one you have, then dont get too worked up, but dont be too surprised if you get a knock on the door one day asking how you got it...

Comment

I'm quite pleased to find out they actually go after people who sell Mk7s etc. I just wondered on the Ospreys since there are so few of them about, infact less than there are Mk7s, and by rights I would have expected alot more to be surplus now. I guess maybe attrition is worse, and the armour is either knackered when finished with, or stays in theatre and is disposed of there once surplus.

Comment

TO be honest, why would you want to wear a Mk6, 7 what ever? Firstly they are pretty heavy, and second, get a clone as it isn't as if you need the ballistic protection!
                    sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

Originally posted by Snowdrop View Post
                      TO be honest, why would you want to wear a Mk6, 7 what ever? Firstly they are pretty heavy, and second, get a clone as it isn't as if you need the ballistic protection!
                      It about the reality maaaaan lol

Agreed, i have an ISSUED mk7 and id rather wear my sons potty on my head than than to skirmish.... Hmmm i may do that..
                      Originally posted by Bluegill
                      5 years Backyard Skirmishing...

I hope that's not an airsoft euphemism

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post
                        The Mk7s should be illegal to own as there isn't enough to go around for troops in afghan, so anyone who owns one who isnt serving, is a complete cnut in my opinion.
                        If a squaddies/stores personell decides to flog it on ebay/banned etc, to make a quick buck, who is then breaking the law, don't just look at the buyer but more the seller too...

Comment

I'd guess it is likely the seller who gets whacked hardest, think the issue of buying them is more ethical. Since the buyer create the market that encourages stealing from the army.

Personally doubt I'd buy a helmet even if they were reasonable prices and legit surplus, maybe just for completeness sake in my collection. I skirmish though in a baseball cap.

I currently use an assault vest but I guess wanting an osprey for realism is alittle unessessary.

Comment

Currently in possession of a Mk3 osprey. Did buy some ddpm but the guy who I bought them off on here has dissapeared. I can however get hold of some mtp bits and bobs as well as ddpm.

What pouches would a standard British rifleman have on his osprey and wear. Also do they tend to use open or close plce top mag pouches? Cheers

Comment

With issued offsprey now you are issued with (tell me if i am wrong, as i got rid of the ones i didn't load) 26 pouches or assorts. You pick and chose your own layout. No idea if infantry regs have a set way of doing it but REME just like to get all of it on and look alli!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Jay8 Find out more about Jay8
                              Working...
                              X