British Army in NI during operation Banner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

A set of DMS boots will look the business - I've got my old ones, so I'm fixed. Lightweights need to be washed and faded, a few cycles in Lenor, and they'll be ever so comfy. I bought a couple of pairs of OG trousers, made of heavyweight cotton. They're like combat jim jams. I love mine, and they make a pleasant change from the multicam clones.
    Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Comment

I never said the item was not an issue item. Just that the item themselves were not issed to troops.

In realtion to the picture above is this meant to prove their usage as a magazine article including pattern 72 weebing meant to prove the were used :P
        I've opened up a whole can of worms here!!

And on the other hand I atchually like the wolly hat as it looks more personal and almost more "special forces" even though it is a para kit.
        sigpic

Никто, кроме нас
        Nobody, but us

Comment

I like wooly hats. Big fan. Love them, in fact. But THAT hat in particular looked awful!
          Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Nice article Terry, haven't seen that particular picture of the 72 pattern webbing before. I picked up a set not too long ago.

Dated down to the very day...15th Aug 1973 (which was a Wednesday!)

Sorry to go off topic!
            Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Very nice Rusty
              Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing Zow Zing

Comment

Nice and ultra rare!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Bloke View Post
                  I never said the item was not an issue item. Just that the item themselves were not issed to troops.

In realtion to the picture above is this meant to prove their usage as a magazine article including pattern 72 weebing meant to prove the were used :P
                  I've opened up a whole can of worms here!!

And on the other hand I atchually like the wolly hat as it looks more personal and almost more "special forces" even though it is a para kit.
                  The magazine in question is the British Army Soldier magazine.As the pouch was an issue item specifically developed for use in Northern Ireland are you trying to say that no pouch was ever used in NI??

Maybe they werent liked,popular or practical but i find it very hard to believe that not one single pouch saw service

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Mcann View Post
                    The magazine in question is the British Army Soldier magazine.As the pouch was an issue item specifically developed for use in Northern Ireland are you trying to say that no pouch was ever used in NI??

Maybe they werent liked,popular or practical but i find it very hard to believe that not one single pouch saw service
                    Yeah pretty much what I am saying or they at least had very limited serivce.
                    Anyone got any pics or now any of them atchually being used just out of curiosity ?
                    sigpic

Никто, кроме нас
                    Nobody, but us

Comment

I have finally gone a bit wibble and this week have bought a M16a1, an SLR, and a WE Browning for the whole 1970's look. This is (a) very retro cool, and (b) cheap, like the budgie.

Looking forward to giving the old and bold round here flashbacks as I leave the house in my DMS, Puttees and Denison on Sunday morning. Still need to grow a gringo tache.

Edited to add with all this ancient kit, my spare room smells like a musty QM's store. Just without the grumpy sod in the brown warehouse coat.
                      Last edited by Hawke; 12 June, 2012, 11:38. Reason: Mongness

Comment

Edited to add with all this ancient kit, my spare room smells like a musty QM's store. Just without the grumpy sod in the brown warehouse coat.

Yours and I bet a lot of other chaps on here,me included

If anyone is interested I have a couple of spare INIBA Vests with ballistic fillers,issued I think(but not sure) late 80s,early 90s to replace the big bulky Vietnam type Vests.

Comment

On a certain online auction site, there is a replica Denison Smock 1972 pattern, which while not perfect is pretty darn close, and is also an XL size rather than the usual dinky size 2's. There are 4 days left to run on the auction. Don't click on "sellers other items" whatever you do. I did in the hope of finding some other military gems. Nope. Just a load of, ahem, "personal" toys.

Comment

Rifle slings go around your wrist.. if you want full authenticity that is :P

Comment

Yup, like this:

Comment

Very early 70s kit

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                                Working...
                                X