British Army in NI during operation Banner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

Cheers man. No not at all, I probably should have mentioned more, this is based on the concept of looking ‘along the lines’ of a regular squaddie in Bandit Country, as a means of going out to set up an OP- as mentioned in the accounts ive read.

The impression is actually inspired from a Cracking picture of an SAS lad from D Squadron at Crossmaglen, ive seen, except he has a para smock & no head wear, but he has an M16 & basic 58 ammo pouches, dpm trousers & a scrim scarf around his neck. The scrim scarf around the head idea is taken from Robin Horsfall’s picture when he was in NI with the PARAs in the 70s (before he joined the SAS). I used this as it was a change from the black ski hat- ive done that to death. I could have gone with a helmet which they used again to blend in & also a dpm field cap-but in the end i looked too much like a PARA crap hat lol. The Jungle boots were favoured by 'them' around this time because we all know the British boots of the era were utter crap.

Balaclava? Too close to the IRA Active Service Units for me mate. Ditch the webbing? Again too close to the IRA. You see plenty of pictures of them with Balaclavas, M16s & British uniforms with no webbing (like the examples below). H&K? Yeah sure they were definitely used. But it moves away from the ‘squaddie look’. When going for this it was the M16 & SLR (in some case made to fire fully auto) that they favoured during this era.

Last edited by Brandon; 17 October, 2012, 15:52.
    Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

I see... although the jungle boots were rather hated for use over here 'as they leak like a sieve' back in the day hi-tec used to make high leg waterproof hiking boots and they were the favs! closest you can get to them are magnum classics. from waht i've read and been told 'by regulars that were there not sas' was that wearing your webbing was universally hated. if anything an N.I. chest rig woulda been thrown on but I feel like a nit picky arse here..

I LIKE YOUR KIT! it looks awesome! and I wish I had the surplus of old school badassery that you do. but very subtle changes and you would look spot on. remember.. ulster is cold wet and miserable.. ALL YEAR ROUND. gear accordingly. :P

Comment

If you can find one the SASS COP vest was very popular when used with either M16 or 53

Comment

Cheers, aye the COP vest is a good shout. But as im keeping it along the line of the reference picture ill probably stick with the 58. Jungle boots were definitely a favourite with the Regiment during the era, especially when combined with 'goon boots' which are pull over shoe covers with rubber lumps on the sole. Chest Rigs hic/K/s? Not for the late 70s mate. I know a lad who worked alongside them during the mid-late 80s in NI & i was told some were seen wearing basic 58 even up until then, except they wore windproof smocks & trousers & crap hats.
          Last edited by Brandon; 17 October, 2012, 16:40.
          Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

your right. chest rigs woulda been more of an 80's/90's thing. but your references are completely different from mine. only people I know are joey blogs squadies that patrolled there.

Comment

here's my take on it. This was actually an impression put together for an Airsoft Action article on the sas in their recce/observation role in NWE but pretty much translates to NI as well.

There are a few concessions to airsoft here, the belt kit contains a pistol which would have been unlikely irl, other wise its an E&E belt kit mainly with some ammo pouches for the 16, everything else is in the bergan. Likewise it's not my 16 so i left it as is rather than taping it up.

Most the kit was worn in the 90s by me in a recce role or in the case of the smock by a mate actually in the regiment who wore it in the 80s and gave it to me. Kit is put together on the recollections of what he wore and a few other chaps i know who spent a lot of time 'over the water' lying in holes in the ground watching people.

Kit is (top to bottom)

Dpm patrol cap (i'm also a great believer in balaclavas, the guys i spoke to said they wore them in the colder months)

Norgie shirt

SAS smock

Tropical trousers

US jungle boots.

Webbing is a belt kit of two alice pouches, a water bottle, e&e pouch, survival knife and a pistol... a mix of US, UK, German and Spanish webbing.

Bergan is the regular GS one which was apparently used as well as the para version

Morse set is a 1970s clandestine warfare set.

Comment

I'll second the balaclava. I first went to Ireland in 1989. I wore the issue bala (made by Remploy; just checked, it's on the coathook with my dogwalking kit) under my Mk6. Not tactical, but I was young, skinny and cold.
                Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Thought I would share my NI loadout with you guys. Before you say it I know the lightweights are not the original issue ones as I can't find any to fit my middle aged spread. Although I have the ares L1A1 SLR with 58 webbing full set but not wearing the full pack,para smock,MK6 with nape protector and visor(also have the OG cover for the visor,58 holster with browning hi power,puttees,NI Gloves ( well worn in!). And the body armour looks American but has the MoD broad arrow and is dated 1978. Tried very hard to get the 1979-1980 look just right..
                  image.jpg

What do you guys think??? (And yes the sun is in my eyes)
                  sigpic

Comment

Found another photo the wife took of me in the loadout in the back yard

image.jpg
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moving shadow View Post
                      Thought I would share my NI loadout with you guys. Before you say it I know the lightweights are not the original issue ones as I can't find any to fit my middle aged spread. Although I have the ares L1A1 SLR with 58 webbing full set but not wearing the full pack,para smock,MK6 with nape protector and visor(also have the OG cover for the visor,58 holster with browning hi power,puttees,NI Gloves ( well worn in!). And the body armour looks American but has the MoD broad arrow and is dated 1978. Tried very hard to get the 1979-1980 look just right..
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]70214[/ATTACH]

What do you guys think??? (And yes the sun is in my eyes)
                      Tried very hard to get the 1979-1980 look just right..

Not a criticism but not sure about your dates-If looking to do 1979-1980 you would need a MK5 Turtle or Cromwell Riot Topper helmet as the MK6 from memory didnt enter service until 1984.

Comment

I did a little research and the mk6 entered service 1979 used without the DPM cover originally. But wasn't a widespread issue item.. The cromwell is also very ugly and looks too much like a police riot helmet. A guy I knew served out there and seems to agree with some photos I found on tinternet of troops wearing the plain Mk6 with visor and nape. He had his left leg torn to bits in a blast whilst serving out his 3rd tour with the royal Anglian regiment.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moving shadow View Post
                          I did a little research and the mk6 entered service 1979 used without the DPM cover originally. But wasn't a widespread issue item.. The cromwell is also very ugly and looks too much like a police riot helmet. A guy I knew served out there and seems to agree with some photos I found on tinternet of troops wearing the plain Mk6 with visor and nape. He had his left leg torn to bits in a blast whilst serving out his 3rd tour with the royal Anglian regiment.

Would be very interested to see pics/info regarding the MK6 in use 1979,would guess its the Northern Ireland helmet which looks like a cross of the MK6 and Para helmet.

Thanks.

Comment

Just called the guy who served in the province and he asked about with old pals in turns out it may have been the M76 that looked similar to the early Mk6 with the visor and nape protector.. On looking at some other photos they look very similar from the front.. Only when you look at the side profile I've see the M76 has a slight curve to the lower edge. I not all that fussed to now go and find a M76.. This is Airsoft and I've spend far too much cash getting the look as close as I can.. Sorry for the confusion.. Still think its a bloody good effort!! I'm very proud to skirmish In full British kit. Most guys take the lazy route and rock up in American kit with boring M4's... Come on guys support OUR troops... We have history.. Yes it's harder to get the full UK kit look right but let's stand tall and be proud of our roots. Or this just me?
                            sigpic

Comment

Not knocking anybodys efforts at all as most are up to a very high standard and I know its airsoft not reenacting but for anyone interested I would say that this is the type of helmet discussed above--

Comment

MKVI did indeed enter service properly in 1985 and you see it in most pics from 86 onwards. Before that, as mentioned it was the NI helmet... there were several. One of the pics i'm about to stick up show three different models used between 69 and 98.

here's some pics of our team at a re-enactment event.
                                All three types

the older type, essentially a MKV with a visor on a metal brace.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                                Working...
                                X