British Army in NI during operation Banner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

Some more pics of the group in circa 83/84 kit.

Comment

And a few more....

'Berlin dawn patrol'

Comment

Oh i forgot this one.. this was taken for the local paper.

Comment

Originally posted by moving shadow View Post
          Thought I would share my NI loadout with you guys. Before you say it I know the lightweights are not the original issue ones as I can't find any to fit my middle aged spread. Although I have the ares L1A1 SLR with 58 webbing full set but not wearing the full pack,para smock,MK6 with nape protector and visor(also have the OG cover for the visor,58 holster with browning hi power,puttees,NI Gloves ( well worn in!). And the body armour looks American but has the MoD broad arrow and is dated 1978. Tried very hard to get the 1979-1980 look just right..
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]70214[/ATTACH]

What do you guys think??? (And yes the sun is in my eyes)

Not bad, if you're doing NI in riot gear lose the majority of your webbing. 'reduced order' was carried when wearing flak jackets, generally just the two ammo pouches on a belt and a water bottle. By losing the yoke, kidney pouches and all the rest of it you can wear the belt beneath the flak jacket.

Lads didnt carry any more than that as you didnt need it for patrolling from the back of a landrover, short foot patrols or on a line in front of rioters.

If you were doing rural patrols you'd carry most of it

later on (by the era you're doing with a MK6 lid) chest rigs were popular as you can comfortably wear them in a landrover sitting in the back or sitting in a lynx on an eagle patrol. By the though you cant see the flak jackets as they were the newer INIBA worn *under* your smock - lets you get to your smock pockets, stops an IED punching your compass through your ribs etc and oddly was considered to look less 'warlike' and threatening in the province.

Comment

Also regarding the MK V "Riot" helmet there were 2 types-one with the std elastic 2 point chinstrap and another with a 3 point nylon chinstrap. No idea which came first to be honest.

Comment

Mines 3 point.

I'd imagine the three point is later as with the visor forwards its very front heavy and I'd imagine with a two point chin strap its quite likely to fall off if you look down.

Comment

Thats what I thought also but nothing I can find to confirm this.

Is yours complete with the correct chinstrap Gadge?

Comment

Additionally lose the pistol holster if you want accurate. Pretty much only ever worn on a belt on its own at VCPs or by senior officers.

Useful for airsoft sure but farby as hell if you want accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Mcann View Post
                    Thats what I thought also but nothing I can find to confirm this.

Is yours complete with the correct chinstrap Gadge?
                    As far as i know it was bought as one piece from a pretty reputable store. I'd check the date on it but its under a mountain of kit in the war room.

Comment

Gadge,the dates mean nothing on these Turtles as the shell and all of the components of the sock liner are dated seperately with no guarantee that they are all from the same helmet originally.

Also regarding dates I have seen some with the visor and metal mount dated/stamped and others devoid of any dates/stamps.

Comment

I meant the date on the chin strap. You get a rough idea of issue from that as it will be between that date and the issue of the 'motorcycle' type ones

Comment

Dont agree Im afraid Gadge regarding the chinstrap date unless you are referring to the 3 point nylon type?

Comment

yeah of course i am.

How could i check any other type if thats the one i've got

Comment

Thought you were referring dating "Turtles" in general regardless of chinstrap type

Comment

My point is that if i look at the date of the chin strap on my riot helmet with a 3 point strap and its *really* late then its a fair indicator that what is logical (ie it being a quick fix after 2 points not doing the job) is very likely. Then if it is late, and we know what year the new helmet came out, using occums razor you can whittle down the years of possible issue a bit can't you.

If everything on the lid is dated the same its also unlikely to be lashed up out of parts, i cant say it's anything i've really worried about though to be honest. if i have time i'll have a look.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                                Working...
                                X