Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

British M58 webbing systems - question for the old sweets on here ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British M58 webbing systems - question for the old sweets on here ;-)

Hi

I recently bought a British M58 webbing system complete with everything to go with my lightweight trousers (might put on my 1968 pattern DPM trousers as the weather gets colder! The old joints ain't what they used to be!) and 1968 pattern smock! belt, yolk, ammo pouches (L + R), water bottle holder, back pack, kidney pouches, and poncho roll. The only thing is some people list a bayonet sheaf as well?

Anyway after getting it I took to assembling it. I mean it is designed for squaddies how hard can it be? Well I must be of dubious intellectual credentials as it took me ages to figure out how it all goes together after all these years!

I decided that seeing as I was skirmishing this weekend (yesterday! I had an absolute blast BTW!); I would put my 58 pattern pistol holder, from my NI belt order, on it. But it was a tight squeeze with both ammo pouches so I had to leave one off. Is this normal? I can't remember TBH....

Also I found a nice little loop on the side of the ammo pouch that is just the right size for carrying a Browning Hi cap spare mag not sure if that is its original usage... I am wondering if they did a pistol mag pouch like on the 44 pattern webbing that slots in above the pistol holder?

Cheers!

John

John

Re: British M58 webbing systems - question for the old sweets on here ;-)

The pouch on the ammo pouch is for a rifle grenade. I am surprised you couldn't fit the holster on the belt as well. I managed to get mine on and I am a skinny bugger so I had very little room to manoeuvre stuff on there.

As for pistol ammo pouches, I don't think they made spare browning mag pouches. The holster has room for a spare magazine in it.

Comment

Oh I am fairly skinny too so I guess it is just a case of shuffling stuff about to make room for it then!

I have found the spare magazine holder inside the pouch. Bit fiddley to get at! I have enough trouble getting my side arm out! Guess it is just practise that is needed! Don't use my side arm much but the last skirmish I was on the wire kept falling off the motor on my MP5K so I had to use it several times in the end. Still I go 6 good kills with my side arm.

Comment

We had major issues getting everything on the belts in reality, kidneys usually got binned for NI, as cooking wasnt needed on patrols, so extra water canteens could be carried, especiall 44 pattern or US issue ones.

Comment

My Patt58 AK rig....only the pistol mag pouch and AK mag pouche's are not 58 pattern.

sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

Yes I may ditch the kidney pouches... I have my eye on a 58 pattern bayonet holder to hold my rubber knife :-) I am determined to get a knife kill on the next skirmish!

Comment

Also I found a nice little loop on the side of the ammo pouch that is just the right size

That is your bayonet scabbard attachment.

Comment

I know they are hard to come by, but the old 44 pattern respirator pouch, carried everything that the kidneys did, but took much less space up. Crash out kit forced you to have the kidneys, but in theatre they were ditched for CEFO and a small daysack was carried

Comment

Here's my AK rig....was posted previously but I moved the photo and the link to it was broken!

sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

Originally posted by jasevx View Post
                    I know they are hard to come by, but the old 44 pattern respirator pouch, carried everything that the kidneys did, but took much less space up. Crash out kit forced you to have the kidneys, but in theatre they were ditched for CEFO and a small daysack was carried
                    Interesting,got any pics please of the 44 patt pouch as never heard of one before?

Thanks

Comment

google images? still got mine somewhere in the loft I think.

Edit:

Used to unpick the belt attachment, turn it 90 degrees then reattach. Get mess tins and a days rations in it.

Comment

Done that,nothing.

Never heard of a 44 Patt bag,thats what puzzles me.

You dont mean the early 58 patt canvas type?

Comment

see edited post above, might be early 58 pattern then?

Comment

Edit:

Used to unpick the belt attachment, turn it 90 degrees then reattach. Get mess tins and a days rations in it.
                            Thanks,thats the lightweight respirator pouch used from 1944 up to the late 50s.

I have one where the previous owner has cut 2 slits to the rear so it can be worn vertically on the belt as apposed to horizontally when using the belt hooks.

Handy packs,also have one which at one stage was used as a medical pouch as the previous owner has painted a red cross to front.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                            Working...
                            X