The new General Service Respirator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new General Service Respirator

Just seen the new GSR and it looks sexy as hell. Though I was wondering, is it airsoft safe? If not how to BB proof it? Seeing as the old S10 had somewhat thin, brittle lenses that a BB could happily shatter or pierce.

The new GSR has a one piece visor that seems to be sealed in place, no way of removing it or attaching ballistic covers like the S10. However the lense seems thicker than the S10 and fairly flexible, plus its nicely curved so seems like it ought to deflect bbs rather than take them dead on.

For those of you that havent seen it, heres what it looks like:

Looks like something out of star wars!
    Any ideas? Heroshark where are you? :P

Im thinking it would be quite easy to put a second mesh visor over the top of the normal visor, but I dont really want to mesh it as I hate the look of mesh.

Re: The new General Service Respirator

Doubt youll get you hands on one anytime soon, its only just getting rolled out now and thats to new joiners only until all the S10s hit their service life.
    section 24 of the 1968 Act
    Supplying imitation firearms to minors
    1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
    2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Lets just pretend were in a hypothetical world I already have one.

Comment

I would've been doing the conversion course in a month or so if I weren't off on a little 'holiday'.

In terms of actual CBRN survival it's a good step forward. If one filter goes down, no problem, take it off and the entry way seals, you've got another filter to breathe through. Also, no more panicking like f**k in the CS chamber trying to find a screw thread that you can't actually see while the air in your lungs is gradually running out.

I'd have thought it'd make sense for them to put in ballistic rated plastic for the lenses, seeing as you don't want a bit of shrapnel to go through the eye piece and let some nasty gas in. I can't seem to find a definitive answer from searching though, lots of talk about filters and airways and bla but nothing much about the materials used.
        REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

Yeah I cant seem to find anything either, and I dont want to risk ruining it by shooting the lens & see what happens.

The lens doesnt seem very thick, but it is rather sturdy, it only flexes with a good solid push, and even then not very much. Making an educated guess Id say its safe for airsoft use, but certainly not sure enough to risk my eyesight to it!

Comment

I don't think they had BB's in mind when they designed it.

" Is it safe to use against Mustard,sarin and agent 15 gases?"

"Erm no sir, We designed it to be BB proof so Airsofters have more load outs to copy"

They probably have some kind of ballistic rating as they are big lenses and a stray piece of shrapnel could easily find its way to hitting the lens. I think its just a case of waiting untill more info is out their

Comment

if it was not shrapnel proof it will be another fail. What is the point of gas mask with brittle glass?

Comment

how about if you have one, you fire a 500fps rifle at it and tell us how it goes
                PM me if you're looking for S-ARMS M4 mags

Comment

Originally posted by danhc View Post
                  how about if you have one, you fire a 500fps rifle at it and tell us how it goes
                  Not a chance! If I had one I wouldnt risk ruining it because chances are I wouldnt be able to get another anytime soon.

Originally posted by forei View Post
                  if it was not shrapnel proof it will be another fail. What is the point of gas mask with brittle glass?
                  Tell that to the guys who made the S10 - that things not shrapnel proof! Though I suppose it did only have tiny little eye holes aand they were quite deeply recessed.

I know some civvi respirators have safety ratings on the lenses like safety glasses/goggles, for stuff like sand blasting or whatever, but I cant find any markings or info on these.

Comment

Nice to see Tommy will still be shooting with his head at a 90 degree angle...

Comment

Shrapnel isn't an issue with any respirator, hit by shrapnel in a chemical environment your suit will get ripped first.
                      section 24 of the 1968 Act
                      Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                      1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                      2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Yup, as said above, any shrapnel that heads directly for you is going to puncture something. The only reason I can think of why they would install a ballistic visor is so it doesn't break if dropped. Shrapnel will go through the materials around the mask, so it doesn't really matter.

Comment

can't realy tell till you shoot it .And you can't realy tell how mod-able it is till your pulling it to bits. I have fit mesh as well as polycarbonate in various gas masks though.

Comment

Sadly, some people have beaten me to it.

The thing with chemical warfare is that you can't afford a F**k up! If you do, you die... no matter how good your ballistic rating is!

:EDIT: couldn't you source some of that sticky backed plastic that are used in public buildings, such as schools to prevent glass shattering into lots of tiny pieces, while also adding that little extra protection?
                            sigpic

Comment

The fact they've listed on manufactures website in the product section is very good, its just an army specific Scott face mask. That I must have!
                              "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
                              Life in the fast lane........
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Tiercel Find out more about Tiercel
                              Working...
                              X