Real steel scopes on airsoft guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real steel scopes on airsoft guns?

Hello all, just looking at some real steel SVD scopes and was wondering, does the fact that a real steel scope is set to 400-500m + affect it for the use with airsoft? I mean, the range that i'll be using it at will only be 50-70m so is considerably smaller. I know you can zero the scopes, but are there any issues when mixing RS scopes with airsoft guns. Any help or experience is greatly appreciated!

cheers
    "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists .. I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Re: Real steel scopes on airsoft guns?

Shouldnt be a problem, the PSO-1 scope is zeroed to 100-1000m, see here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSO-1
    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET A LENSE PROTECTOR

sorry for caps but you'd kill yourself if you spent a fortune on a scope which got shot out first day at airsoft

Comment

Originally posted by I'mhitalready View Post
        JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET A LENSE PROTECTOR
        Seconded.

Comment

By the time you've fannied around sighting someone, they'll have already shot you.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
            By the time you've fannied around sighting someone, they'll have already shot you.
            Forgive me for being a derp, but huh?
            "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists .. I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Zeroing a sight in airsoft is largely pointless/impossible unless it's for close range work. Few skirmishers actually aim through sights anyway. I never have in five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                Zeroing a sight in airsoft is largely pointless/impossible unless it's for close range work. Few skirmishers actually aim through sights anyway. I never have in five years.
                Without causing an internet fight, for a DMR/ sniper rifle you are very wrong. With AEG's and pistols, I completely agree but with my SVD and my old VSR I always looked down the scope. With the DMR/ sniper rifle I like to zero my scope somewhere between 50-70m (Average range of encounters) and just leave it like that for the day. I'm not sure whether zeroing is a more technical term with which I have slightly miss-used it, but I don't touch it during a game.

Comment

when you zero a scope in a well tuned DMR/bolty, the difference in trajectory from shot to shot will not be enough to miss a target at 200ft forgetting wind. So yes, a scope is not redundant on an airsoft rifle. I grant that iron sights are largely sufficient in airsoft engagements, but you will rarely be able to observe the exect trajectory of the round and make adjustments for the next shot without a scope. Especially if you making use of coloured heavyweight bbs, which every serious sharpshooter will.

Comment

Do some people realise we are not firing 300+ Meters but 40-60M?

You dont need a real steel scope sighted to 100M as you wont be able to use it well at airsot ranges.
                    Fine if you are getting a Starlight scope for you falklands loadout but when a cheaper airsoft varient will do better than a real one at our ranges why go expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by Orion1 View Post
                      This is why Christo has raised the question. He was asking whether he would have problems zeroing a scope designed for engagement ranges of a real SVD on his airsoft SVD, which has considerably shorter range.

Comment

You dont need a real steel scope sighted to 100M as you wont be able to use it well at airsot ranges.
                        Fine if you are getting a Starlight scope for you falklands loadout but when a cheaper airsoft varient will do better than a real one at our ranges why go expensive?
                        Because I have a cheaper one which is quite poor, for example the eye relief is quite poor . It doesn't look as good as the real steel one as well mostly because the real steel model is not made by an airsoft manufacturer (that I am aware of). And regarding your first point is what I was looking to find out. I also don't need a scope at all, but I want it to look the best as possible.

Comment

While I (somewhat) agree with this...

Do some people [not] realise we are not firing 300+ Meters but 40-60M?
                          (...some people are shooting further than that), I don't agree with this...

You dont need a real steel scope sighted to 100M as you wont be able to use it well at airsot ranges. [...] when a cheaper airsoft varient will do better than a real one at our ranges why go expensive?
                          Scopes calibrated for longer distances can still be very useful if scoping is part of your playing style. More importantly, you get what you pay for - and by and large RS scopes are much clearer, more rugged and generally much better made then el-cheapo clones. RS scopes are made in such a wide variety of magnifications that there is literally one for just about everything, and the correct one will trounce most airsoft equivalents.

Comment

What I ment by that was that you can get some fantastic scopes for airsoft for under £100 that are fine for our use, It is mainly the £500+ RS scopes that I am talking about.

It is a game were we run around the woods shooting at eachother and in the end we are all shooting an unstable projectile that is limited alot. If people do want to buy expensive scopes then go ahead but people can do fine with cheaper scopes.

Comment

What I ment by that was that you can get some fantastic scopes for airsoft for under £100 that are fine for our use, It is mainly the £500+ RS scopes that I am talking about.

It is a game were we run around the woods shooting at eachother and in the end we are all shooting an unstable projectile that is limited alot. If people do want to buy expensive scopes then go ahead but people can do fine with cheaper scopes.
                              Normally, yes I agree with you. However with russian scopes there are two options. Cheap/ chinese scopes or real deal. No in between that I am aware of unfortunately and for a real steel for £300 it isn't as bad as maybe a standard RS scope.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Christo Just another airsofter own in the south of England. Find out more about Christo
                              Working...
                              X