Browncoats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browncoats

i've just started a browncoat look from firefly, but the problem is that the boatcoats aren't on scream much and when they are, it's dark so you can't see them proper. so far this is what i've got/wait for/going to get and if anyone could give me any ideas with what i've missed (before you post i'm changing a few things from the show like no red vest jacket and i'm using a F2000 instead of a G36)

long light brown jacket
    sandy trousers
    green t-shirt/redy brown shirt
    WW2/VN US helmet
    black belt with 2 double M16 mag pouches, a utility pouch, and 2 water pouches
    Santa *creepy kiss* xXx

Re: Browncoats

thats a kewl idea, tho i'd prefer to be alliance tbh.

get photos up when done, love the show.

Boris
    K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Comment

As a massive fan of the series and film i think if done correctly this could be a fantastic loadout.

the one thing i would advise i drop the black belt for overly large leather hip holster with afew leather m4 mag pouches at the rear. for example:
      http://whosnews.usaweekend.com/files..._9-195x300.jpg

not the best pisture in the world.
      to me the brown-coats resembled a bunch of wild west outlaws. (which of-course is a major theme throughout the film and series.) so overall to complete the look, if you're going for a real film representation. you need:

As a Base:
      *A long brown jacket/greatcoat.
      *A good set of TAN/KHAKI/GREY old west britches.
      *Something along the lines of a Mud/stone/brown/reddy-orange T-shirt
      *Black/brown hevily worn leather boots.
      *Brown/tan/khaki old west style hat, possibly even an Indiana Jones style hat. (forgotten the name, Trilby?) or failing that go with the classic Jayne cobb Knitted beanie.
      http://www.saffasogood.com/wp-conten...ayne_hat_1.jpg

Then in terms of gear.
      *Old west leather hip/thigh holster and belt.
      *Leather mag pouches for you're main weapon, on you're leather belt/hip holster belt, for example: http://www.stonerholsters.com/images/GL-MP.jpg , same for sidearm: http://www.copquest.com/24-5056.jpg

*and personally to finish it off compleatly a saddle type bag either over the shoulder or at the rear of the belt. somthing to keep a speedloader/pyro in. for example:
      http://www.worshamcastle.com/images/...dlebag_JPG.jpg
      perhaps not something that 'fruity' but you get the picture.

Weapons:
      *I'd stick the G36, to give it authenticity. but its up to you. could maybe pull it off with a wood finished AK or wood finished shotgun.
      *sidearms i'd go for a six shooter obvoisly, failing that a Glock could work. or something overly chromed, like a 1911.

overall I'd absolutely LOVE to see this loadout finished. however (and i know its entirely up to you) i'd beg you to keep to the look and feel of the browncoats together and authentic. personally i wouldn't count a black belt, tan shirt and brown coat a 'browncoasts loadout' hell i had near enough that loadout on my very first airsoft experience. Has to be a G36 aswell. Has To Be lol :P

hope that helps...

damn i want to make this loadout now...

Comment

Here's a site I found a while back, might be helpful - http://www.fireflyfans.net/mthread.asp?b=2&t=34145
        You could also use a UMP as there is one bit where Mal uses one.
        Are you wanting to base your loadout strictly on the Browncoats during the war, or more a general look which includes bits from throughout the series as well?
        Originally posted by Tyler
        to question him is as to kick the pope in the nuts.

Comment

solely the war

from what i've seem is the weapons you see in browncoats hands are G36KE, SA80, UMP, AK47, and 1 which had a MP40, but i think i can get away with a F2000 because of it's sci-fi look, but it's uniform i'm having problems with.
          Santa *creepy kiss* xXx

Comment

Not sure how authentic this one is, but it looks the part:

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/24048/

Comment

how about a sawn off winchester...

Boris
              K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Comment

I'm actually doing the same thing, I love Firefly so much I just had to do it.

First things first you have to decide if you're doing a 'Malcolm Reynolds' costume or a 'Independents solider' costume. Very little of what Mal wears in the flashbacks to the war are seen in his regular costume, hell even the signature long coat is different. I'm going to assume your doing a Independents solider costume, if your not, sorry.

The thing you've got to remember when doing a Independents solider costume is that the Independents army was formed from the armies and militia of several planets all fighting as one, the only thing that unified them was some sort of brown coat. All the troops you see in the show are all part of the 76th battalion, so all their uniforms are similar, but that doesn't necessarily mean soldiers from another unit aren’t going to be dressed differently.

anyway, some suggestions:

Helmet: The helmet seen in the show is an American M1 helmet from Vietnam/Korean war era, they're painted in a light/muddy colour with a dark brown strip down the middle.

Brown coat: Now in my opinion the signature long brown coat is NOT essential. watch the flash backs and you'll notice only Mal has a long brown coat. I could go into a very long explanation of why I think this is, but I doubt anyone but a clone of me would care about.

If you want a long brown coat your best bet is a a long riding coat. these can be expensive, I got mine on ebay for £27, its not a perfect copy of Mal's but it should be great for airsofting

Trousers: As you said, sandy coloured trousers. One thing I would do is stitch a brown stripe down the seam of each leg for extra screen accuracy.

Boots: Mal wears riding boots, these probably aren’t too practical in a skirmish so I'd stick with army boots. After all, everyone wears army boots in Firefly

Waist coat: Brown waist coat should be fine, though a red one is good too.

Gun: You are spoiled for choice when it comes to guns! All the following guns can be seen in the hands on Independents soldiers:

G36K
                L85A1
                M4A1
                FAMAS F1
                H&K UMP45

Look here for a list of guns used in Firefly, including shiny pictures!

Misc: Hollister should preferably be leather, but you don't really see any so anything is fair game.

Some sort of shoulder bag like this, a leather one would be good too. Would he useful for carrying mags/speed-loaders and other stuff and also...

BEANS! Szechuan bean sauce, the above is a picture of the beans they used in the the message in the hands of Tracy, because every good solider deserves beans :D Try an Asian store but if you find any you must message me immediately as I have looked everywhere with no luck.

Anyway, I've went on far too long, but I hope I've been a little help.

Pics when you're done please

ES
                Last edited by ElSparko; 7 December, 2010, 21:06.
                Voted sexiest man on the airsoft field - every damn time

Comment

http://www.abbyshot.com/firefly-brow...FY9O4Qodpznmig

Reaver
                  "I'm three sheets to the wind, and i haven't even left the harbour!"

Comment

Originally posted by ElSparko View Post
                    Pics when you're done please

ES
                    i will don't worry, but atm it looks like i'm doing 2 version maybe 3, and it looks like i'm going to have make the waist coat so it might take time
                    Santa *creepy kiss* xXx

Comment

strange i should come across this thread as we are thinking of running a firefly theme game at the first and only anzio site later on this year. I think i could be a great weekend especially if we can get the loadouts looking good.

If we do it i will let you guys know

cheers

Bibby

Comment

Just thought you'd like to see my Browncoats helmet that I've just finished painting

It's an American M1 helmet from Vietnam (its dated inside as 1975), I've sprayed it down and put a black stripe down the middle. I decided the lighter brown with the Dark brown stripe looked too clean, so I went for a darker colour.

On one side I've painted the Independants symbol. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me. I think the fact it's not perfect make it look like the soldier has done it themselves to personalise their gear rather than them being issued this way.

On the other side I've painted the (unofficial) symbol of the browncoats resistence movement. Only soldiers that were part of the resistence movement before the war would wear this. Its not canon, but I like it and thought I'd add it (that said, Joss Wheldon has a flag with this symbol on).

It's not totally finished, still needs a couple of spots touching up, but I may decide to leave the little imperfections so that it doesn't look as if it's brand new
                        Voted sexiest man on the airsoft field - every damn time

Comment

bah how is it ive completely missed this thread, I'm slowly working on a brown coat load out but is being based around a custom hero pistol (mals pistol) someones making for me I've got a list all saved on my p.c so when i get the pistol i shall finally have my big damn hero costume

If Carlsberg made Airsoft teams..............They would still get raped by the G.Z.C.F

Comment

here's my look so far. sorry about the light

Santa *creepy kiss* xXx

Comment

That's cool, there is an airsoft Firefly event happening in the North west in July, let me know if you are interested and I'll pm you the details

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

santa i take the 2 most dangeruss elements known to man and make them work for me.......and a posable bomb Find out more about santa
                              Working...
                              X