has anyone dyed there kit before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone dyed there kit before

I am thinking of dyeing my chestrig and knee pads from tan to green has anyone done this .if so what dye did you use and how long does it last I don't want to dye it be playing in rain one day and end up looking like the hulk as all the dye has come off .

Re: has anyone dyed there kit before

It won't work, fabric dye requires natural fabric. I'd put money on your kit being made of coated nylon (cordura) which won't take colour.
    Buy my stuff!

Comment

Most dyes only do natural fibres, but you can get hold of dyes that do artifical fibres, they often contain an acid to react. Have a google search or nylon dye and it comes up.
      I did my desert smock with two loads of dylon black. Its faced out into a rather interesting dark grey cammo now that works really well in the dark.

Comment

You'd be better of selling and getting a new one in the colour you want.

Comment

Yep, cordura and other man made fibres do not hold dyes, especially dylon dyes.

Directly from the dylon website: Nylon and other synthetics can not be dyed

Comment

Which is interesting as from dylon's wesite too:

DYLON Multi-Purpose Dye is suitable for dyeing natural fabrics, nylon and Lycra. It is also suitable for dyeing buttons and feathers.
            Multi-Purpose Dye is ideal for dyeing costumes and props for all types of theatrical productions.

Synthetic fibres can be dyed ( else we would never have coloured syth fabric) but the dye usually isn't avalible outside if industrial useage.

Comment

Yep, you said it, industrial usage. I believe that is because of the heats that they can generate and volumes used to dye the fibres.

Comment

ok thanks guys

Comment

Krylon paint!

Any offence taken from my posts is likely intended.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jb-redbull Find out more about jb-redbull
                  Working...
                  X