Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet cam's

Hello chaps,

Just wondering if people could suggest to me any helmet / headcams for capturing moments of epicness whilst airsofting .. i'm not looking to break the bank but i also understand that you get what you pay for.
    Also any information on them would be much appreciated , as i've never used anything of the same description before.

Cheers folks!
    sigpic

Re: Helmet cam's

I own a Contour HD and a GoPro hero2, personally, the shape of the camera matters a lot, a Contour works great if it's weapon mounted due to its long bullet shape, when you put it on a long black gun, it fits in like it's a weapon accessory, you can also get a picatinny mount for it for about £15, but if you mounted it on your helmet, it'd usually have to be on the side, and for me, side mounted footage are too offset, quite often you saw something exciting happen with your eyes, but missed by the camera, even with its super wide FOV. Gopro however, firstly, has a full on plastic case as default, great for airsoft as you won't risk anything breaking, a BB can't break the GoPro case, and if it does, you can replace it easily, they are readily available, also, it's front facing profile means that you can either chest mount it, or head mount it right on your forehead, giving the closest POV experience. If neither are within the range you'd want, keep the shape / profile in mind in your choice, don't just look at spec numbers, it should help you decide what to get, also seeing that you have a sniper rifle on your signature, this might take your interest, check out this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVWMroUgrJI
    Last edited by blobface; 1 April, 2012, 01:36.

Comment

Thanks alot for all that info mate, i will definitely take it all into consideration. I think i'd prefer the side mounted camera so i will look into that. I never thought about Gun mounted camera's, i can imagine that making some very good footage. Also that air rifle is beasty haha
      sigpic

Comment

There are a fair few threads on this subject on Gen Discussion, I've commented on most of them Have a quick look through them there's some great info.

I use a mini DVR H720 which is a mini DV recorder with a "bullet" camera attached. With the widest lens I could get for it. It's great but you are covered in wires while you are using it. I'd really recommend the Contour cameras... They are tough, easy to use and fantastic quality! With mounts for pretty much everything you can imagine. And they are easy to remove so you can switch to hand held filming if you wish...

The gopro's are great at what they do, you just look like a spanner when it's on your forehead...

Weapon mounted is hit and miss, A lot of the footage ends up being of the floor, and the sound is almost always awful... there's a lot of footage filmed with a variety of head cameras at www.youtube.com/cbmpc
        CBMPC:TV! youtube channel - here! - game footage, random adventures, reviews and much more coming soon!

Follow the CBMPC! airsoft team on twitter @cbmpc

Comment

Well im in the process of buying a contour GPS, so i can use my iphone with it as a screen
          As far as airsoft goes, the best footage i see is via contour.
          Gopros are used in everything where the bulky flat design isnt an issue. (about 90% of POV shots on TV) dont forget that theyre silver too!
          Theres also the tachyon HD, but that has issues in low light.
          Defo contour/gopro, each has their pros and cons for you to decide on.
          -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
          -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

VIO POV HD. Incredible quality but uses wires and a large box for in field editing. But you just click "Tag" on the remote to film. It cycles the film for say 20 seconds so if an explosion went off and you think "Damn! I wish I was filming" you just press tag and it keeps the footage from 20 seconds previous. Great piece of kit but need wire management.
            Rik Jones - South Wales Airsoft

Comment

I use a Contour. There's a variety of mounts available on the market inc plastic water proof covers for some additional protection. As already mentioned the main issue with all these cameras is getting a good mounting position. I've used mine on a gun mount, hence unless you intend to keep your gun level all the time, or start stop, start stop the recording you'll end up with footage of the floor. I haven't checked the latest specs, but also take a look at the cameras angle range. Last time I looked Contour had a greater angle range than the GoPro(?) That's either a + or - on your decision making. Also as stated the new ContourGPS looks like a great pc of kit, if you can afford the cost!

Comment

I find my Contour HD is better all round for airsoft use - the ease of use when you can't see it (i.e. mounted on your head) is the main attraction for me.
                One of my mates uses a GoPro HD (he's kryloned the protective case incidentally), but it's a lot bulkier & doesn't seem to do as well in slightly dim lighting. In good conditions, they're almost identical though.

Alternatively, you could get a standard definition camera which are perfectly adequate, just not quite a good quality footage on large screens.

Comment

GoPro
                  sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

RCW05 I R REAL SOLDIER! Find out more about RCW05
                  Working...
                  X