Sniper tape - how to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper tape - how to

As daft as this sounds, what do YOU use it for? How do YOU use it?

Pictures of how you use it would be great.
    Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express
    King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
    https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Re: Sniper tape - how to

Was considering starting a similar thread myself, but this may be a basis from what I'm going to work from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd036...ature=g-user-u

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

Very interesting video. I don't like the idea of using Jute since there are absolutely NO vines in the UK woods, but a great concept.

Still interested in where Sniper Tape can and has been used. I know some people just cover there rifles in the stuff to add the camo pattern, but keep it temporary, but I am wondering if there are other uses for it in rifle concealment.
      www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
        Very interesting video. I don't like the idea of using Jute since there are absolutely NO vines in the UK woods, but a great concept.

Still interested in where Sniper Tape can and has been used. I know some people just cover there rifles in the stuff to add the camo pattern, but keep it temporary, but I am wondering if there are other uses for it in rifle concealment.

I think the point is to break up the shape of the rifle, so be this by entirely coating it so that the mash of colours blurs the shape out.... but tbh i don't think the tape works that well for that because we are too close range in airsoft.

err i think quite a large amount of it is to make the rifle 'dull' so you don't get any light shining off of your lovely wooden stock when you're hunting wabbiz! not that i do such things.

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

I have it on my air-rifle for when smashing poor defenceless bunnies.

It is on there to dull the shine as mentioned above, but as a pleasant bonus it also gives better grip in the hot weather and my sweaty mitts don't slide over the wooden stock and grip.

It worked nice as a base layer for camo but the rifle still needed scrimming up as the tape alone didn't do what i wanted.

Comment

Pics?

I figure I might put a load on the blaser, but still scrim and net it up as usual
            www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

DSCF2116.jpg

Comment

I've wrapped my vsr in sniper tape. After a decent amount of wear it has faded and it is pretty good now.

As said it makes a good basis for camo.

I plan on spraying it too. - ultimately means I won't put paint on the rifle. (painted rifles are always harder to sell )

Some of the lads used it to tape me to my bunk once. That was a funny day.
                Originally posted by Coz
                Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
                http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
                  Should I continue or rip it off?

Also, how do you get the tape to stay put? The edges keep coming up on this stuff! I have spray glue I could put on top of it?
                  www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

I personally never liked camo tape. OFC, it has it's advantages but it is pretty negligable.

I prefer to use a sniper as a deterrent rather than being a sneaky bar-stool! The anyone that decides they'll flank me ends up in claymore range!

Plus, 90% of times I have seen sniper tape is to cover up bright green!

Otherwise, your "blaser" looks pretty good. It is all rough, not smooth like most people strive to achieve! It looks like you've beaten it around a tree! :p (Which is...good?)
                    sigpic

Comment

Continue or rip it off - entirely your call.

Take a really sharp knife or scissors to the frayed edges. It will stay put.

If you are planning on stalking your quarry or even just laying still until they come to you, you need to break up the outline of the gun, especially toward the front. (The rear of it will be in your shoulder - if they see that it is too late)

Arm yourself with:

a bunch of elastic bands
                      Old clothing of various shades of green/brown (whatever most matches where you play)
                      Scissors
                      Knife
                      lighter or matches

I mainly used old army issue lightweights for my rifle, but there are some old hessian sand bags on it too.

BARREL

1. Cut a piece of material to cover the barrel, either as though you are wrapping a rolling pin as a Christmas present or as a thin strip put on at an angle, like covering it in tape. One the barrel is covered, secure it all with a few elastic bands.
                      2. Cut some thin strips with a maximum width of your thumb. DO NOT BE PRECISE - no straight lines in nature. With these strips,
                      screw them up into a ball, roll them around and generally grunge them up. Wrap these around the barrel and tie them off so they are securing the barrel wrap in place.
                      3. Add little bits as you see fit.

BODY

1. Pretty much the same as the barrel, but the initial wrap will need to have cut outs to give you access to any moving parts of the gun, bolt, mag release catch, mag housing, safety catch etc.
                      2. Again use bands to secure in place followed by wraps of thin material criss crossing all over the place before being tied securely.

SCOPE + BIPOD

1. I think you know what to do by now

GENERAL

1. NO PERFECT LINES - if you want pristine, go to a museum, if you want stealth, grub up.
                      2. Use elastic bands all over it. They are cheap as chips and add to the overall break up of the shape
                      3. Use the lighter to burn away some of the frayed edges. Fraying is good, unless it ends up like a Tom and Jerry cartoon and everything unravels.
                      4. Keep the very tip of your barrel clear - effort wasted if material sends every BB off target
                      5. Keep scope lenses clear. Perfectly hidden? Great! Can you see your target?
                      6. Don't worry too much about the stock unless it is BRIGHTLY coloured. Extra cam will make it uncomfortable to use and besides which, with the weapon in the shoulder, your ghilie should help hide it all.

Once you have the base done, you can add or remove the extra cam such as the leafy stuff or whatever matches your ghillie with elastic bands.

Happy hunting!

Comment

I really don't like it

The rifle has a really cool shape and you have lost that by covering it.In my opinion it looks like a paper mache rifle now. I would just krylon the gun as it has a more professional look

(Not trying to sound like a dick, its just my opinion)

Comment

Hmmmm, kinda missing the point there i think.

It is the really cool shape he should be trying to get rid off!

Painted guns look cool, no argument. But they are not very effective at being cammed up if close.

Paint your .50 by all means, you will be a mile and a half away when you pull the trigger. Not so in the world of airsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Coz View Post
                            I really don't like it

The rifle has a really cool shape and you have lost that by covering it.In my opinion it looks like a paper mache rifle now. I would just krylon the gun as it has a more professional look

(Not trying to sound like a dick, its just my opinion)
                            I concur.
                            Originally posted by Coz
                            Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
                            http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

I agree I am a little upset that I will be losing the shape of the rifle, but I am trying to make this invisible. The reason I'm using the tape is should I decide to I can remove everything back to its original look without permanently altering it. Hell I could even spray over the tape!

I'm going to finish taping the lot, and then add the scrim, veg, blah blah blah. It'll still be the blaser we all love underneath, just you wont be able to see it
                              www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

crasstoe Chris, 23, White, Male, 5'7 Find out more about crasstoe
                              Working...
                              X