Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When full-metal is not full-metal!

Originally posted by Reamer View Post
    I've come to realise that it's sometimes better to have a high-quality plastic gun than it is a low- to-medium quality metal one. Even high-quality ones, perhaps.
    In Britain for six months of the year most full-metal pistols won't function properly, and for four of those won't function at all without external heat. High-quality plastic pistols (TM, WA) outperform EVERY metal pistol with the debatable exception of superlight race pistols, because the weight of metal body kits hinders the firing cycle. Cheap full-metal guns are one of the biggest cons in airsoft - every time I see someone new in a retailer rejecting a TM for a WE, HK or AA 'because it's metal, and metal's better' I know that within a month their purchase will be clogging the for-sale section here because (with VERY limited exceptions, like the HK PX4 & XDM) they just don't work.

An ACCEPTABLE full-metal pistol (something like a KJW P226) is £130, but it will never function as well as an all-plastic Marui of the same price. A GOOD full metal pistol (a Marui with a well-fitted Guarder kit) will be double that, and a full-metal pistol that looks as good as a plastic Marui (a Marui with a PRIME/PGC kit) will be the best part of £400.

Originally posted by Reamer View Post
    So are you saying that the kind of factory-done two-tone paint jobs even by big manufacturers intended for the UK markets are of no higher quality than the quickly-done custom paintjobs by airsoft retailers?
    I know of very few factory two-tone guns - G&G do some, that I know - but those are injection-moulded the colour they are, so those are generally very good. That said, the plastic parts of an MP5 with a Navy stock (i.e., just the handguard) aren't 51% of the gun so legality is doubtful. The two-tone paintjobs by airsoft retailers are generally dire, which is a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitano_Tomtom View Post
      Indeed; my bad, thanks for clearing that up.

To OP:
      You could always just purchase aftermarket metal parts for the pistol; once you have UKARA of course
      Good luck finding aftermarket KSC or KWA parts :p Especially for the Berettas - nobody makes anything for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitano_Tomtom View Post
        You could always just purchase aftermarket metal parts for the pistol; once you have UKARA of course
        And do you know how hard it is to find those for a KWA Beretta M93R? Please, if anyone knows, please tell me. Just so I can get an idea of what's available and for what price, for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Apurturesci View Post
          Good luck finding aftermarket KSC or KWA parts :p Especially for the Berettas - nobody makes anything for them.
          Haha, never had anything other than a TM FN5-7 and that's still stock so don't have a clue when it comes to upgrading GBB pistols
          sigpic

Comment

A certain UK retailer that sells a lot of KWA GBB's is awful for product descriptions regarding the full metal issue.

I brought a "FULL METAL AS PER REAL GUN" USP Match. It has a plastic outer barrel and plastic muzzle weight. I complained and they said sorry but the plastic outer was because metal ones don't work as well...

The same is true of other KWA USP's all have plastic outer barrels. It is just basically a metal slide.

This particular site also rips you off because it won't let you buy one GBB mag at a time. You are forced to buy two! They then come packaged separately proving that they are ripping you off!

Comment

Same with retailers warrantys on guns !!! All should carry a 1 yr warranty because they fall under electronic / electrical goods same as rc cars . The electric ones all have a one yr warranty / returns policy on them . The retailers know this but fail to acknowledge it . Threaten them with trading standards and watch how quickly they change their views .!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by baddbaz View Post
                Same with retailers warrantys on guns !!! All should carry a 1 yr warranty because they fall under electronic / electrical goods same as rc cars . The electric ones all have a one yr warranty / returns policy on them . The retailers know this but fail to acknowledge it . Threaten them with trading standards and watch how quickly they change their views .!!!!!
                What really hacks me off is when they try to claim that skirmishing a gun invalidates the warranty.

Under UK law they are only allowed to sell them for certain purposes, one of which is use in airsoft skirmishing (as we all know). To claim that they shouldn't be skirmished, as they might break, is admitting they're not fit for purpose, so in breach of SOGA!
                sigpic

Comment

I know of a place that does the honourable thing and gives full warrantys 1 yr and 2 yrs on some guns and also tests every one before they sell it . That to me sets a solid benchmark for other people to take note of !!! How it should be !!

Comment

A Guarder kit on a pistol is not metal, they are made from melted down caramac bars and straw.

Comment

Some models say "Full Metal*" as in "Full Metal Slide". It's a cheap trick to pull.
                      sigpic

G&G M16/M4 variant upper body wanted: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...890#post917890

Comment

To me full metal means its metal where it should be and polymer or ABS where it should be
                        Fire Team Zulu
                        Find us on FaceBook - Fire Team Zulu Airsoft
                        http://www.facebook.com/fireteamzuluairsoft

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Reamer Find out more about Reamer
                        Working...
                        X