homemade mortar/rocket launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade mortar/rocket launcher

everyone has seen the potato cannons powered by air im wondering if i made one to resemble a mortar or an anti tank/personal cannon it would be able to launch mark 5's or some other sort of small flash bang or possibly smoke to simulate incomming arty in game

im wondering if anyone else has done this i would make sure that the gun was strong enough to with hold a pyro which may go off wrong without shattering to peices the launcher
    After cheap project guns and various bits of kit

Re: homemade mortar/rocket launcher

Ive made a couple to use when im marshalling.
    First one i tig welded up a reservoir with a schrader valve on the side then got a hand valve from austins which i attached using threaded unions, then attached a barrel just wide enough to take crow scarers.
    Simply pump up the reservoir using a stirrup pump, light banger, drop it in barrel and release the valve!

I then got fed up with pumping it up so i attached a co2 fire extinguisher instead of the air reservoir

Finally i used a piece of white plumbing pipe just wide enough to take a tslfx dual vented smoke grenade and attached it to another fire extinguisher, this thing launches smokes 10 times further than you can throw them lol.
    Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    In soviet russia,
    Poem reads you!

Comment

yh i thought of using one for when im marshalling could change the atmosphere of a game if i could get a couple made
      After cheap project guns and various bits of kit

Comment

Pretty sure tlsfx make dual charged thermo's for this sort of thing. We have used them in the past and they work quite well. Just used a steel tube made to look like a mortar.
        Light it, drop it down the tube fuse down, the first charge launches it ( a good 100ft) then after a bout 6 or 7 seconds the second charge blows

Comment

It's a fun idea, but site insurance will not cover it. Especially if you don't have a pyrotechnics license.

Please do some research with your site before even asking about it on here,
          it will save you the disappointment if you build one and find it's not allowed.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...airsoft-mortar

I for one wouldn't play at a site where they allowed one of these. Insured or not.

I will be at the NAE 27th-30th August and replies to messages may be slow, bear with me!

Comment

Been involved with making/ using mortars in the past.
              Totally agree with the flying pyro being an issue, although TLSFX do make a mortar launched smoke, you cant rule out a numpty getting there hands on it.
              Air operated cannons are slightly safer (if done right)if they are fixed and locked at a certain elevation. There's a guy on U tube that has a cracker that launches nerf vortex balls.
              An alternative is a blank firing prop, re-enacters use them all the time. They sound great and with minimal supervision an add to the gaming experience.
              Written down somewhere (cant be a**ed searching) is the big no no on launching projectiles that go bang. Wouldn't like to explain that in the boot of my car

Comment

a team mate and I have been looking at making one of these to fire the nerf vortex balls-we were thinking of using 12g co2 cannisters as propellant, the only thing we can't work out is a realistic looking trigger system- any ideas out there??
                Battle Plan:
                1)Run madly at enemy. (shooting weapons is optional)
                2)Die.
                3)Run to Re-spawn.
                4)Return to point 1 and repeat until successful.

Comment

My local site has made one and they buy these special Mortar pyro (they won't tell me where from ) if you can find the pyro and get hold of some they are really cool, once lit and in the tube the first bang can send it up to around 100m and then the second bang is for the kill and also smokes available.

Before people start saying they are just normal multi bang pyro... They say mortar pyro on them
                  sigpic

Comment

Update : I think zero-one do them
                    sigpic

Comment

If you build your mortars right they will do way more than 100m - I know, i've built 4 of them, from Brit 2" to German 8cm designs.

Frankly, I think the idea of selling the mortar rounds to Joe Public is a bone idea - as is selling any form of wire fired pyro with over 10g of perc in it. Why? 6 years of organising WW2 events and head marshalling two sites in the past has shown me that the average airsofter really doesnt have enough common sense to use such items safely. Hell, the number of incidents I've seen over the years with just hand deployed pyro makes me think that the majority of Airsofters aren't responsible enough to use anything that goes "bang" at all.

Mind you, the same goes for certain site operators as well.....

Harsh? Maybe, but then again, I'm one of the few people in Airsoft that's actually gone to the bother of attending courses that teach you how to use battlefield FX pyro safely.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fuzzhead Find out more about fuzzhead
                      Working...
                      X