how to stop bits of your gun breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to stop bits of your gun breaking

So airsoft is becoming a bit expensive for me, and I'm getting a bit fed up with coming back and finding more and more broken bits, I previously thought that you just needed to buy expensive / well made guns, to an extent this has solved the problem less things are breaking HOWEVER I managed to rip the charging handle off my m60 somewhere in woodland last weekend so I'm pissed about that as I also use them for photoshoots and if they don't look realistic then it's a waste.

a second example are suppressors and flash hiders, I leant an m4 with a barrel extension and suppressor it came back scratched to crap and with the suppressor immovably locked to the extension ¬¬ But my flash hiders sometimes get a bit scraped. Also my m60 flash hider is covered in chipped plastic (from bb's) and flaked paint where it was being reloaded and I came under fire so had to get down ... leaving it exposed to enemy fire for 5 minutes, after being laced permanently the flash hider has taken a beating I haven't looked at the rest.

SO my question to you ... do people remove all the vulnerable bits from their rifs before they go skirmishing then replace them later? or do you just not break bits off?
    Last edited by bobfish; 20 September, 2012, 09:17. Reason: dun bad grammar ... innit

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Re: how to stop bits of your gun breaking

Bits getting broken/chipped/worn is unavoidable in airsoft really. I just take it in my stride.

Its probably worth having a couple of airsoft guns you dont skirmish for photoshoots.

Comment

Originally posted by Air got Soft View Post
      Bits getting broken/chipped/worn is unavoidable in airsoft really. I just take it in my stride.

Its probably worth having a couple of airsoft guns you dont skirmish for photoshoots.
      Fair I'm glad it's not just me that gets broken bits, I have a D eagle which I don't skirmish anymore but someone dropped that and broke the fire select ¬¬

It's just a bit too much self control to buy one and not skirmish it! but you've probably hit the nail on the head there... may have to look into doing that.

Comment

I personally like all the wear and tear weapons get when skirmishing. Scratches and dents make it look more realistic! I dont have much of a problem with external parts breaking mind you!

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
          I personally like all the wear and tear weapons get when skirmishing. Scratches and dents make it look more realistic! I dont have much of a problem with external parts breaking mind you!
          I can see the appeal with a few of my guns, like pistols with holster marks, but sometimes it just looks tatty rather than used.

the only reason this charging handle broke off was because it's fixed and about 3 - 4 cm long sticking out the side of the gun.

Comment

The only thing that broke was on my old G36, it had an M4 stock adaptor and when the gun fell over that snapped as well!

My recoil has been absolutely perfect though, hope it stays that way

Comment

Bloody hell, in ten years i've had about three parts break/drop off guns.

I lost the cocking lever on a star sa80 as it was crap plastic on an other wise well built aeg, my marui ak lost the small disc covering the screw head on the change lever and my marui thompson inevitably had the barrel go (design flaw, they all go eventually).

You must be playing at utter blat fests on builfing sites!

Seriously if you're really into the look/style of things rather than 'how many bbs can i chuck downrange a second' (as your photoshoot comment suggests you care about the 'style' as much as the 'substance') perhaps look into filmsim or milsim gaming where its' more about planning, manouvre and then brief firefights than peppering each other with shot.

considering most film sim games have an ammo limit of about 300 bbs per life you just dont get shot up as much....

Comment

As much as you may not want to keep your less common guns at home for show and play with more generic guns that have cheaper spare parts, aks/m4s/g36...

Comment

Originally posted by bobfish View Post
                  I can see the appeal with a few of my guns, like pistols with holster marks, but sometimes it just looks tatty rather than used.

the only reason this charging handle broke off was because it's fixed and about 3 - 4 cm long sticking out the side of the gun.
                  But how do you expect real steel rifles used in combat to look? Yes they dont get shot to pieces by bbs but you can bet your bottom doller they get thrown through much more shit than our airsoft rifles could ever take and have the scars to prove it!

Maybe its just me, but in my eyes a pristine gun that looks new straight out of the box looks so much worse than a worn rifle with marks to show use!

Comment

Toy guns made from monkey metal will break. Hell, two blokes at my local site snapped their systema receivers in half within the same week.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
                      You must be playing at utter blat fests on builfing sites!

Seriously if you're really into the look/style of things rather than 'how many bbs can i chuck downrange a second' (as your photoshoot comment suggests you care about the 'style' as much as the 'substance') perhaps look into filmsim or milsim gaming where its' more about planning, manouvre and then brief firefights than peppering each other with shot.

considering most film sim games have an ammo limit of about 300 bbs per life you just dont get shot up as much....
                      well a few of the sites I play at are blast fests and derelict sites so lots of stuff to fall over/catch things on. your point about style is correct I have a p90 designed to pepper the enemy but that's out of action at the mo the rest are more for looks. Though are also quite effective, I will look into film props as I won't have the temptation to take them skirmishing.

Originally posted by Vladraken View Post
                      As much as you may not want to keep your less common guns at home for show and play with more generic guns that have cheaper spare parts, aks/m4s/g36...
                      my less common guns are the better ones I brought 'cheap' m4's one looks very ratty and is medioca, id rather not waste the green fee by taking a medioca gun.

Originally posted by Delta View Post
                      But how do you expect real steel rifles used in combat to look? Yes they dont get shot to pieces by bbs but you can bet your bottom doller they get thrown through much more shit than our airsoft rifles could ever take and have the scars to prove it!

Maybe its just me, but in my eyes a pristine gun that looks new straight out of the box looks so much worse than a worn rifle with marks to show use!
                      I think mp5's shouldn't look beaten up, but your point is noted ... especially for AK's if I had an AK it would have to be real wood and scratched to crap.

Comment

If its scratched, a can of spray paint helps, if its a broken bit then pose the model so it isn't showing, for everything else there's photoshop.
                        Raven's Claw: bug*er this just charge

Comment

Originally posted by bigshep View Post
                          If its scratched, a can of spray paint helps, if its a broken bit then pose the model so it isn't showing, for everything else there's photoshop.
                          yeh I know that's what I will have to do, the issue being that it's all more work with balancing the lighting, or limiting the poses the model can do. Also photoshop /lightroom is all post processing that I'd rather not have to bother with too much it takes long enough to edit a batch of photos anyway lol

Comment

Don't worry about bits getting ripped off it means your playing like a boss

Comment

first thing i did when i got my latest m4... drag it around the car park by its sling, and then rub it against a few walls a nice shiney new gun.. looks like a toy!
                              when was the last time you saw a terrorist on the news scuffing his gun on a wall and then quickly getting out a rag and making sure his guns ok..

Someone shot the rear site out of my thompson last weekend.. a part that you cannot replace (well i cant find them), nothing i could have done.

If you worry that much about your gun, wrap it in bubble wrap
                              Last edited by badger906; 20 September, 2012, 15:01.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bobfish Find out more about bobfish
                              Working...
                              X