Blacktalon Chimera Mosfet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacktalon Chimera Mosfet

Now that the testing phase of the Blacktalon Chimera Mosfet has come to the end, I thought this is a good time to start a thread about this new Mosfet.

I was lucky enough to be selected as a beta tester for these mosfet, so please be aware that the production model will have a couple of changes, mainly in order to fit into the ICS gearbox, but also the main switch will be changed to a more heavy duty one.

The Box and contents (borrowed from Airsoft Mechanics)
    Note there included are 2 different connectors included, a Tamya and a Deans types. You can choose which ever want you want to install.

There is lots of extra cable, you might need to trim the cable to get a good fit inside your gun.

Installed in my gearbox, I did need to trim the side of the board in order to get a good fit. I also had to do this with Raptor mosfets I’ve had too. I’m hoping that the new spec Chimera will be slightly smaller.

Here is where I needed to trim the board, it was only a tiny amount from each area.

Completely fitted inside my gearbox. I added the heat shrink on order to apply some hot glue, I tidied it up later.

Using the mosfet is simple, and if you’ve used a Raptor you’ll be right at home. Programming is by trigger presses, you get a instruction sheet included that shows you all the trigger presses you need for each combination.

By default it will do safe, semi auto, but you can have just about any combination you can think off. Also the coolest feature is that the 2 selector positions are completely independent. So, you could have the middle position (normally semi) fire at full auto, but at 10 rps, and then the next position (normally auto) fire at full auto, but at maximum speed.

There is loads of information over at the thread about beta testing at Airsoft Mechanics, if you interested I suggest that you pop over there to read it. But I would do my best to answer any questions that anyone has.

I think that this is a better mosfet than the Raptor, and I will probably pick up a couple more of this mosfet. Making this mosfet for different gearbox is so simple, as it’s just a board change, and I think the Version 3 board will be here very soon. But the one big difference with the Raptor is that the Raptor fitted completely inside the gearbox, and that was the biggest selling point for me to get the Raptor. I hope that someone else starts producing the Raptor again soon.

Re: Blacktalon Chimera Mosfet

I will miss the Raptor's ability to fit inside a gb, but the improved reliability (especially of the switches) is worth having.

I will look forward to seeing the first production ones hit the real world.
    Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
    Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Isn't this just a copy of the ASCU?

Comment

BTC is the new company that Frank is running, as AWS was passed on to a new owner. It's still the same man behind the designs of the technology.

The Chimera is an evolution of the AWS range by combining the trigger board layout from the Raptor with the power handling capabilities of the open source Extreme Fire SW-Lion. It's (finally) capable of handling way more power than both the ASCU and the Raptor.

If anything, the ASCU is a spin off of the old AWS sentry with an added trigger board and all the fancy features they've been promising have already been built and discontinued by AWS in the form of the Scorpion...

More information on the Chimera can be sourced from the ASM Forum Thread.
        Last edited by sj_asc; 16 July, 2013, 19:11. Reason: Information Update As Requested

Comment

Originally posted by W0lf View Post
          Haha! No indeed. The ASCU does what it does and has it's fans.

This takes the the best of Extreme Fire (and Terry's design) and adds all Frank's work.
          Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
          Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by W0lf View Post
            Nope,
            The makers of this FET had this internal trigger switch with AWS long before ASCU put theirs out
            With both Terry and Frank onboard with this, it will almost certainly be a long shot ahead of anything in that market. You will also get an unmatched level quality with after support.
            dsgdreamteam

Comment

It will however, be at least ten times the price of the billy breach mosfet :P
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

its abit more than added burst control, what you just did in effect is compare a gameboy pocket to an xbox 360... both are used for gaming but the xbox is wayyyy more advanced...
                PM me if you're looking for S-ARMS M4 mags

Comment

I’ll tell you why I like this type of mosfet system, it’s all about the micro switch for me. It means that I can tune my trigger to have a tiny trigger pull, it also means that I can have cycle completion. These are the features that Systema owners are always going on about, if they added a last round bolt hole open, it would be 99% of a TW.

Also I like the fact that the mosfet can be locked in for single shot, and if you are going for a sniper, then pre-cock the piston too.

It depends if any of these features are worth it for you. For me, yes this is what I want in a AEG and I’m prepared to pay a little extra for it.

Comment

Originally posted by happyal View Post
                    I’ll tell you why I like this type of mosfet system, it’s all about the micro switch for me. It means that I can tune my trigger to have a tiny trigger pull, it also means that I can have cycle completion. These are the features that Systema owners are always going on about, if they added a last round bolt hole open, it would be 99% of a TW.

Also I like the fact that the mosfet can be locked in for single shot, and if you are going for a sniper, then pre-cock the piston too.

It depends if any of these features are worth it for you. For me, yes this is what I want in a AEG and I’m prepared to pay a little extra for it.
                    You forgot to add at a fraction of the cost for a TW!

Just wish they would do a nice hardy front wired version thats easy to get through the piddly little hole they give you for the wires.
                    I have just the gun this would suit nicely in.
                    section 24 of the 1968 Act
                    Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                    1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                    2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

you looking at your lr300 again sean? and yes, a big +1 on a hardier front wired version.

Reaver
                      "I'm three sheets to the wind, and i haven't even left the harbour!"

Comment

Yes I am Reavs.

Its already got epic trigger response, If I could further improve that I would be happy.
                        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

why couldn't this be front wired? the smaller grey wires look as though you can just put them where ever you want
                          For Sale!
                          TM M870 with a load of stuff
                          A&K massada sniper spec
                          Chronograph
                          leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Because the plugs dont fit through the crappy little hole, so you would have to cut and rig up something like small banana clips.
                            Trust me I have a Mosfet rigged in my gun already and had to mod it to fit. Im not willing to do that with what could possibly be 100 quid mosfet.
                            Theres also no chance of rear wiring either as the gun doesnt have a buffer tube to run it into.

Comment

ah of course!

overlooked the fact that you still have to run the wires through the front of the receiver, not just the gearbox
                              For Sale!
                              TM M870 with a load of stuff
                              A&K massada sniper spec
                              Chronograph
                              leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

happyal Hello Find out more about happyal
                              Working...
                              X