• Show
Clear All

Re: barret m82 (airsoft where-abouts)

Yup I got a message from them saying last summer :S

My feed back
    http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9280

Comment

On the other hand it can go both ways you can spend a grand on a heap of poo too. I was thinking about the Ares version and after hunting around realise that thats shop in Scotland world were floggin off there. From what I gather non too impressed with them so selling them off at a massive 500 quid drop in price.

Oops sorry diregard this post The gun I was on about was the Cheytac. But the analogy is the same 1200 quid selling at 700 coz its poo
      Last edited by jfox61; 7 January, 2010, 01:36.
      Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

Hence why people are selling interventions at half of what they paid for them...

My feed back
        http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9280

Comment

Originally posted by The Keeper of Secrets View Post
          WALZINBLACK: I am going to KILL you. PAINFULLY. That joke is SO old!
          Yes, the joke is old. Your reaction however, is not.

Maybe a certain furry haired moderator should be quiet on the subject of Barretts to avoid giving himself a heart attack :P

The position Ive always stood on airsoft barrett is this. Yes, they are beautiful, but unless you get a bolt action barrett, you have to run them at a greatly restricted FPS. So ok I can understand M99s and M95s, but M82s, no thanks, beautiful guns, but I wouldnt want to lug it around and then have a kid with a Warrior L96 kick out 500 straight past me into the distance.

There are a couple of options on the market, you first choice is the Hurricane and a couple of similar models of AEG kits, which will perform just as well as any V2 gearbox. Why? Thats all they are internally. So your AEG barrett is going to be as good as your AEG M16. Thats providing you dont upgrade. Of course if you do, its a whole different ball game. They will shoot VERY VERY well, IF you spend the cash. However, even at GZ if you keep them at site limits, you will loose 75fps between your AEG Barrett and your bolt action VSR if they are both running at limits. One advantage is you have a huge barrel, but thats not going to change the world. If the end, yes you have an awesome semi automatic barrett, but no, its .50 round isnt going as far as the ones of the L96.

Another option is PWD, like the first one TKoS got. This is where my money is. Beautiful barrett, with the internals of (Arguably) the best sniper rifle in the game, the Maruzen APS-2. So your going to have a gun thats going to shoot beautifully, BUT, its big, its heavy and its going to cost you an arm and a leg- kinda vital if your an airsofter

The new SOCOM gear barretts are very similar to the hurricane, just they are fully asembled, rather than you- or the shop- having to build it off M4 internals. These are the only ones I havn't used personally, but I hear good things, so you can expect similar things to the Hurricane, at a reduced price. However, its still by no means cheap at all, your not looking at anything less that £800, and thats me being optimistic

The contravertial choice, the snow wolf clone M99. I have used two of these, both felt quite similar, and they were not by any means bad. They weren't good, not when you compare it to the others, but they weren't bad. I got the feeling you would need to put alot of work and care into fixing many a niggle that could arrise, but said niggles weren't guaranteed. There were not physical problems and they shot fine, at least for the couple of rounds I had, and the internals seemed ok, even if just for that moment. it was everything you would expect from a clone. But I wouldnt want one. Why? Im no expert on internals, but I can normally tell if somethings wrong in a gun, and something about both of these clones just didnt feel right when I shot them, and I would have much rather left it and gone and bought a decent gun. Or some cake.

Your other elusive choice are the fabled VFC barretts. Only a 100 ever made, I had the pleasure of squeezing off a shot at an early skirmish a few years back. Felt very nice to shoot, but once again, at the site I shot it, it had to run at 330, so it was only going as far as my rental M16.

So basically, if you don't buy the clone, your spending over a grand. If your willing to spend that much, good luck finding two of the four, and its not going to be easily finding the others- these Barretts are elusive creatures....
          So my conclusion, unless you have more money than sense, but want to be look like a total badass on the skirmish field, go for it. But dont buy the clone- Ill jump at any oportunity to make Tkos want to kill me buy comparing the internals of his gun to cheese, but I wouldnt want someone to go out and buy a Snow wolf M99, JUST because its a barrett, because I honestly think they would be disappointed.

Of course, You could always buy a barrett if you want to become a mod....
          G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
          RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

And to be prepared to lose 50% must lend some credance to them being poo so lots of money does not = a good gun all the time.

Certainly as far as i am concerned if it is anywhere near half decent I wouldn't be prepared to lose that much ona gun.

Back on thread though. Hobbies of action will get you one in about 4 weeks but you need to pre order.
            Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

Aeviv matey, your post is valid all the way through and I agree with most of it. The only niggle I have is that you're very much equating range/accuracy with FPS. Now granted, 500fps over 425fps will make a difference, but a fully upgraded well tuned V2 gearbox, hop and tightbore at 425 will go flying past any stock Warrior L96 at 500 , and will be far more accurate. It's the hop unit that counts.

But I do agree with you. The limitations of having an AEG gearbox on my M82 do niggle at me from time to time. Whilst having semi auto is nice I'm waiting four seconds between each shot (whether site rules tell me to or not - it's only fair), and the speed of an AEG gearbox will cause slightly more inconsistant shooting over the bolt action system. Even on semi the physics of a turning over gearbox (especially at the speed mine is set up at), will cause vibrations throught the whole weapon that will affect the bb as it travels down the barrel. In an boltie the action is far slower and thus, whilst nothing like perfect, is a more precise system than an AEG.

Having said all that, once I sorted out the hop issue that became obvious last skirmish, the M82's performing very nicely indeed. It gets the accuracy/groupings of the M99, just not quite the range. I hope the bigass tightbore on the way will help that.

To the original poster:

As has been said, if you get the clone the majority of your cash is going on having a Barrett. Very little of it is going on the peformance or reliability of it. Considering what else you can get new for £300...well I'll let you make up your own mind.

If you do choose to save up for the "proper" Barretts, then you'll need to think about importing vs waiting for one second hand. Importing has the obvious flaw of customs. Whilst a pistol or even an M4 will cause them to recoil (pun not intended), a hunking great M82 going through will give them a heart attack. Customs in this country are good, most of the time they'll ask you for your proof of defence and legal stance. However you do get the odd occasion where the RIF in question is simply destroyed, and then you have some legal work to do. If you're going to take the risk, make sure the company put a letter in the package explaining the law and your defence, presumably quoting the UKARA scheme and your number (yes I know that's not essential for defence entitlement, but it's without a doubt the easiest way in this situation).

A second hand Barrett is obviously far easier to actually attain once you've tracked one down. However finding a seller is very difficult indeed, there were only 100 PWD M99s made (I think mine's number 7 or 8), and a limited amount of Hurricane M82s. The SOCOM gear ones have only just come out, so they won't ecaxtly be flooding the UK market either. Finding both someone in this country with one, and whom wants to sell it, is going to be tricky. Saying that, I got both of mine second hand but in my time here have only seen two M82s and one M99 for sale (excluding the clones), and that's including the two I bagged.

Anyway, hope this lot helps, good luck getting yourself one. Go to the gym for a bit

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

THE-ROGER Im Personal trainer from Fareham who enjoys a good time with the lads on a weekend , shooting some guns and lifting some iron! leaving airsoft contact me for items Find out more about THE-ROGER
              Working...
              X