AN/PRC152 Multiband Radio by Triumph Instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AN/PRC152 Multiband Radio by Triumph Instrument

Has anyone gotten hold of this? What are your experiences? How does this stand up against other similarly priced radio's? I noticed one going on Flea bay at the moment which sparked my interest. UT Video's are promising... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oyal...layer_embedded
    AIRSOFT WEAPONS M4 (recoil)sigpic

Re: AN/PRC152 Multiband Radio by Triumph Instrument

You can get smaller, more useful, radios for far less.

If you want to use a frequency outside the PMR446 band, you'll need a license.
    If you use it on the PMR446 frequencies, it's illegal to use more than 0.5W power output (and you can't get a license to use more).
    If it won't go down to 0.5W output, you'll need a license to use another frequency.

Comment

Clear and concise, cheers.

I own a great lil thing, the Midland G7. However, this does look nice for the military gear collector.

Comment

Indeed. And that G7 would be of more use for airsoft.

I hold two licences that would allow me to use the AN/PRC152, but if I was going to spend that sort of money on 5W radios for airsoft, I'd get a Mitex twin-pack.

Then again, as licensed radios go, the 2W Baofeng UV3R+ is perfectly adequate for my needs. They take Kenwood 2-pin headsets, and only cost about £30 each. So no real concern about them getting damaged by BB hits.

I have two UV3Rs and 1 UV3R+. All 3 programmed to use the same frequencies/CTCSS codes as the Mitex General radios, and they work very well. Their power output doesn't go low enough to use them on PMR446 though (receive is OK, but transmit is a no-no).

Comment

What made you go for the 2W Baofeng UV3R+? It must be a great radio by the sounds of it, as you seem to know your stuff!

Comment

It's cheap (about £20-£30 each depending on source and options), and the plus version uses 2-pin Kenwood headsets (just as the Mitex radios do). The basic UV3R (note no plus) is similar, but uses a proprietary single-pin connection.

2W is enough for my needs - the PMR446s I have are only just not good enough for my local site, so 2W would be easily enough.

Plus, if it comes to it, my licence allows use of a couple of VHF frequencies, which the Baofengs can operate on, and would give better propagation in woodland (the lower the frequency, the better it travels).

Comment

If you're going to spend £130 plus on a radio for Airsoft and you only want PMR446 then either get the Midland G14 or an Icom handset, both are extremely robust, larger than your average 'cobra' type handset, excellent range and features and both have easily accessible ranges of accessories.

Comment

I have a AN/PRC 148, (mind i have a license) they are similar like this and they are well worth it!!! I wouldnt pay a dime for 446, over the years i found that 446 radios just dont have the power to work in built up areas and plus it perfect for a load out!
                Now in regard to this PRC152 its much better than the 148 because you can program it to whatever channel through the unit and theres no need for some dogdy clone program! AND you can use U283 pin to connect to real headset like Thales mic, Peltor or comtacs etc..you just need th right ptt and those are easy to find!!
                Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

Solid info, thnks all!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

the_firing_dutchman Find out more about the_firing_dutchman
                  Working...
                  X