Is British DPM good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is British DPM good or bad?

Of course no cam is ever going to be as good as natural foliage. I nearly lost my helmet last year on salisbury plain. I was only a few feet from the bugger aswell!

Comment

I wear a Jack pyke top during autumn at our local woodland. Works a treat.
      And the only person who has mentioned it negativley was the site owner.
      And the number of times people think they are not visible in whatever camo they are wearing while talking to their mates or scratching their arses.

Comment

I recon MARPAT in woodland comes close.

Up at Section 8 there was a Polish team they all had MARPAT it was like trying to see predator brilliant camo. Sneaky buggers too.

There was also a very very good Airsofter who's name escapes me who used to wear a bright Red Guards jacket and still used to get more kills than most. Just proving fieldcraft is better than any camo. I don't think I ever met him as he was around before me.

My field craft isn't that good so I need to have camo to help.
        Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Originally posted by midas View Post
          There was also a very very good Airsofter who's name escapes me who used to wear a bright Red Guards jacket and still used to get more kills than most. Just proving fieldcraft is better than any camo. I don't think I ever met him as he was around before me.

My field craft isn't that good so I need to have camo to help.
          This is the sound of the hammer falling squarely on the head of the nail.

Comment

Personally, for woodland skrimishes, its great, better in shadows or darker places but works fine crawling etc through shrubs and trees as you would at a woodland site. I see many people wearing desert pattern camo at a woodland site and i yet succumb to think why they would wear it? But as mentioned before, the new British mtp mixes our DPM and American Multicam to make an excellent Camo. However DPM is in fact very dark if you buy it new so watch out for that
            sigpic

Comment

It is a good pattern but it was designed for wars in massive Germanic forests and since ze Germans and the Reds aren't really much of an issue anymore there's not much point having a camo designed for war with them. I did notice over the summer that at night DPM becomes very dark almost black and it does stand out were as MTP doesn't and is still very effective.

I personally rank DPM quite highly in terms of woodland camos, well above Flecktarn, AOR2 or MARPAT (A-TACS FG is definitely number one IMO) its just that where wars are now and where they'll probably be for the years to come you don't get dark forest or wet undergrowth so the army needed to adapt and DDPM does work great in some of the more rocky areas of Afghanistan.

While I generally disagree with having a 'generic' camo rather then terrain specific ones I can see why the army would do this as DPM and DDPM are at the two ends of terrain and they need one which covers a large amount terrains.
              Fire Team Zulu
              Find us on FaceBook - Fire Team Zulu Airsoft
              http://www.facebook.com/fireteamzuluairsoft

Comment

Purely because its cheap mate. My ddpm loadout cost me about 50 quid total. And works quite well in autumn. I'm only swapping to MTP so I can have one loadout rather than two.
                Upcoming Games:
                None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, ecspecially those MTP photos. So I guess then MTP is the way to go, maybe this is off topic but does anyone know where I can get some MTP? I thought the MOD made it illegal for suppliers to sell it to the public.

Comment

There are plenty of threads on that :P

There are other camouflages worth considering - vegetato, multiland, AOR2...
                    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdamacus View Post
                      I thought the MOD made it illegal for suppliers to sell it to the public.

"can open.......worms everywhere!"

There is a ton of MTP on a well known auction site. Z1 sell the trousers. just google it mate. SOme places charge way over the top for it some places you can get a bargain.

My Un-issued PCS Smock, un-issued PCS UBACS and 95 cut combats cost me £40!
                      TM SCAR-L recoil / G&G top tech 416 / TM USP compact

Comment

I can't name the shop but i have seen a MTP / tiger stripe combo for sale. It's not exactly cheap but i think it looks the dogs danglies.

Comment

I think it's better to wear the pattern you like the look of than to engage the unproven arguement that one camouflage pattern is universally better than another.

DPM isn't a "bad" pattern, the MOD is the last institution on earth to act on evidence, so the adoption of Multicam is more politics, doctored promotional photographs and envy of Americans than it's proven effectiveness.

To me, DPM was always an unmistakeably British pattern, like Pantera is unmistakeably Polish or Partizan is russian. Multicam to me, is fundamentally associated with American troops and all three aforementioned countries are switching to Multicam in one way or another, all looking the same.

Comment

I think a lot of it is fashion too. If you go on some American sites they find DPM difficult to get hold of so it is desiarble.

Purely due to it being so plentiful and cheap over here people don't like it.

I have a DDPM gortex smock. In the winter it can be useful in longer grass and was very cheap compared to other newer smocks.
                            Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

If I were to ever move abroad and airsoft I would definitely be taking along a full set of classic DPM, just because it's so damn British and everybody else I was with would be wearing Flectarn or MC or JSDF or whatever depending on where I ended up.

Comment

China phoned, they want their wall back.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Darkdamacus Find out more about Darkdamacus
                                Working...
                                X