Battery discharger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery discharger?

hi does anyone use a battery disscharger on their NiMH batteries? i heard its good to completely disscharge them when not in use. someone said i should hook my battery up to a 50w bulb to run it down. any info on this?
    FOR SALE - 3300mah 9.6 battery
    WANTED - PRS Stock, Lipo, Lipo charger

Re: Battery discharger?

firstly dischargers only for nicads, nimh do not need discharging and can be left for periods of time fully charged with no damage.
    hooking up a 12v 50w dichrohic lamp to discharge a battery will seriously shag it very quickly as genuine dischargers / conditioners very slowly discharge the battery to a very low point then recharge fully.
    the reasoning behind this is the batterys in the centre of the pack never fully charge/discharge and when a pack fails it usually these cells that cause the problem, the conditioner attempts to rejuvinate these cells to prevent failure.
    its also a bad idea to leave a battery fully discharged for long periods of time
    m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

Very well said screwdriver, all good info. But don't buy a discharger, wire up some connectors to a light bulb or something.

Comment

if your going to use a lamp to discharge (only neccissary for nicad) then make sure its the same voltage as the battery pack and a low wattage as a high discharge rate can cause damage
        m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

The discharger is £10 on ZeroOne.

Why mess about with a lightbulb?! lol

Comment

Do not store NiMH batteries discharged. You'll get a nasty surprise when you next try to charge it - it wont hold charge.

The only use for a discharger with NiMH batteries is in conditioning them. That is charge/discharge/charge cycles.

Its not a bad thing to discharge before recharging them though.
            /9 out.

Comment

fair enough lads. cheers
              FOR SALE - 3300mah 9.6 battery
              WANTED - PRS Stock, Lipo, Lipo charger

Comment

So you're saying that if I discharge batteris after every skirmish, i'm actually doing more damage to them, then good?! *lost* haha

Comment

Discharge them fully, then store charged. They'll lose charge in storage, so any more than a week stored. I'll do another discharge and recharge the day before skirmish.

Comment

Originally posted by Intervention View Post
                    So you're saying that if I discharge batteris after every skirmish, i'm actually doing more damage to them, then good?! *lost* haha
                    Yes. Leaving them part charged is not as bad as fully discharged.

But discharging before recharging is good.
                    /9 out.

Comment

i just use a 12v pc fan to discarge mine :P
                      back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                        Discharge them fully, then store charged. They'll lose charge in storage, so any more than a week stored. I'll do another discharge and recharge the day before skirmish.
                        this is exactly hat I do bro , 100% agree
                        Always BEANS!!!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

kingoli2003 Find out more about kingoli2003
                        Working...
                        X