Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self aware sentry gun

Hello Gents

My company does a fair bit of work for Military Contracts, and we have just finished a side project, which is a fully self aware sentry gun for airsoft use, this will able to be deployed in the field and then left, it will scan and hunt for targets, then engage them automatically due to threat levels.
    It is going through its testing stage due to be released very soon ( This Year ).

I have been asked to post this thread to guage feedback from the actual players, as it will be for you the player!.

Your comments Please.

Re: Self aware sentry gun

Doesn't self aware mean that the machine is aware of its own existence so is there for an artificial intelligence? It sounds like this is a motion detector which can detect threat level though I wouldnt label that self aware.

Comment

If it's self aware then it means it's conscious and the rapture is potentially upon us.

Self aware android = Terminator
      Originally posted by Lt. Macka
      big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Sound great. Does it know when to stop firing and let a dead man leave the area? Or will to continue to harass them until they get back out of sensor range?

Seems to be the biggest flaw in all the home brew versions.
        "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

Self aware is a poor choice of words.

It would depend on price, weight, size, stability, rate of fire, ammo capacity, ability to take a beating, field of view, accuracy rate and speed of turret turn.
          Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express Pro
          King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
          https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
          www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Is it going to have some sort of kill switch i.e a plate on the front that once hot will kill it as. Our site had this idea and I think sites might not let you use it unless it has one, due to unfairness!

Comment

1. how does it differentiate between friend and foe?
              2. Rough price tag? This doesnt sound like it will be anywhere near ost airsofters budgets
              3. I expect a lot of sites just wouldnt allow it, because how do you knock it out of action?
              4. How does it tell the difference between a dead player walking back to safe zone, and a live player?

TBH this sounds a bit too far fetched to be true, some pics or other proof would be nice and get you more feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Another View Post
                Sound great. Does it know when to stop firing and let a dead man leave the area? Or will to continue to harass them until they get back out of sensor range?

Seems to be the biggest flaw in all the home brew versions.
                Good point!! Maybe a camera and a remote trigger would be better.

Comment

And how would one disable the device without using considerable force (IE a sledgehammer, gives me a reason to carry one barring looks I guess. xD) and damaging the unit? Will there be impact sensors on it to deactivate the sentry gun when struck with a bb for example?

Would be a bit unfair if its invulnerable, barring my method which would undoubtedly upset the owner.
                  "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
                  Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

Sounds like automated blind-firing to me.

Comment

Sounds like a load of balls to me.

Comment

been done before but with cameras so it will not fire on your own team requires that you all wear a bright colour. there should be a few examples of these on hackaday i built a nerf one many moons ago and had it connected to my pc and used a web interface to shoot people while i was out, even set it up in the office was fun till it broke my have to fire up the iron and get it back running my even make an airsoft one as i have a cheap aeg and could grab a cheap arduino to control it all. not sure if my site would allow it to be used will have to ask on sunday.
                        sigpic
                        Take Your Hit

Comment

Its not really in the spirit of airsoft and I can't imagine it being at a price point we can afford (Most of us are poor since that's the nature of airsoft)

I think the only useful application for it would be at a milsim game but even then it wouldn't get used much.
                          Lady Astor (first woman MP in the House of Commons): "Mr Churchill, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea."
                          Winston (getting unsteadily to his feet): "Madam, if I were your husband ... I'd drink it."

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen?

Comment

I'm calling bulls**t on this, in lieu of more concrete info (thin I'd be happy to retract and apologize)

Also, I'd like to know how this would factor into any sites PLI, and also how it would be able to recognise a dog walker from a skirmisher (for example)

and yeah, it is automated blind firing as stated
                              Originally posted by palmer234
                              Swerve talks sense. I like him.
                              Originally posted by Robin-Hood
                              Swerve does in fact talk sense, I also like him.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gee123 Find out more about Gee123
                              Working...
                              X