Hong kong post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hong kong post

this was quite a big order. total without postage was around £120 which equates to a lot of items at chinese prices. so not really surprised it got charged. so am i looking at £25 pound handling fee plus 12% customs charge? anything else?
    TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

all sorted now guys. charges came to £34 in case anyone is interested in what to expect.

thanks for all your help
      TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

Most of that is probably the handling charge. Proportionately the charges get lower the more you buy, but I'm not sure if there is a banding for the handling fee.

Marking as a "Gift" does not actually have any effect. IIRC, anything over a value of £18 attracts VAT and anything of value over £32 (£36?) attracts duty. The duty rate is dependant on the item being imported and I do not know what the rate is for RIFs/accessories (perhaps your bill will confirm). By the way, strictly speaking, the value for Duty purposes should also include shipping costs. VAT is applied to the total of the value and the Duty.

Marking a zero or incorrect value could result in fines and/or confiscation as that amounts to evasion, so it could be a dangerous thing to do.

Obviously C&E cannot be reading or worring about every little parcel that comes into the country. The greater the value (revenue to them) the greater the chance they will require their cut.

Its best to always allow for the charges when you decide to place the order. If they don't want to stop the parcel, think of it as a bonus
        AdeUK

Comment

Good to hear it is all sorted now Caffin

Sorry to hijack the thread but just wondered if anyone could help me whilst we're on this subject...
          Looking to order something from a Hong Kong site of the value of $48.99 - £30 and the postage will be about $12 -£7.50 from said site. Would i be looking at any extra charges, and how much?
          Thanks for any replies

Comment

Originally posted by richy b View Post
            if its in the UK its likely a VAT charge
            i have heard you can ask HK retailers to mark as "gift" which they normally do no problem, this will offten avoid these charges. if you want to be really be naughty you can also ask them to "under exadrate" the value too

cheers rich.
            I dont think openly discussing fraud is a good idea on any forum

Comment

Plus if you get them to state a lower value, and you goods go missing you are only insured to the value stated.

I have order twice from HK. First time I got some MP5 mags, which came through Hong Kong post, and parcel force. I was hit with a customs charge.

Second time I ordered some MAC10 mags, and batteries. This was sent via TNT and I did get any charges.

I think it is just down to luck if you get charged or not. Both of the times I ordered the packages where for roughly the same value (marked at 100% value on package) and weight.

Comment

it was £26 for vat and and £8 clearance fee (handling charge?)

Comment

Originally posted by diola383 View Post
                  Good to hear it is all sorted now Caffin

Sorry to hijack the thread but just wondered if anyone could help me whilst we're on this subject...
                  Looking to order something from a Hong Kong site of the value of $48.99 - £30 and the postage will be about $12 -£7.50 from said site. Would i be looking at any extra charges, and how much?
                  Thanks for any replies
                  by the looks of it you might have to pay vat but shouldn't pay duty as its not over £36 value. i've ordered smaller stuff before and they seem to get through without any added payments. both of my big orders have been charged extras

Comment

Originally posted by 1st_shooter View Post
                    I dont think openly discussing fraud is a good idea on any forum
                    only what i "heard" dude, i wouldnt condone any sort of dishonesty. should of made that clear in my OP.

richy.
                    'so long, and thanks for all the fish'

Comment

Hehe fair one just "they" could be listening.
                      £8 handling fee i hate by the way but its the price you pay for getting it cleared quicker some people agree with it and some dont as other companys offer a worse/better option. But you can appeal it once paid and see if you get a refund as you didnt agree to the charge but i never bother.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

caffin999 IT Consultant Find out more about caffin999
                      Working...
                      X