500fps shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500fps shotgun?

Hi Guys, been taking a month off, but back now and I've been doing that dangerous thing: Thinking.

So, setting aside some practical difficulties, if one was to upgrade a single shot shotgun to 500fps, would it be site legal?

I see two arguments

1) its spring, so yes.

2) its not bolt action, so no.

It's a shotgun, so no hop. It would be pretty terrible as a sniper rifle!

Comment

Re: 500fps shotgun?

i think the issue would be rate of fire that is possible, and engagement distance it would be used for.

it may be pump action but you can still get a fair rate of fire form a shotgun, and as said it most likely wont have a hop so would be for close range, probably within a minimum engagement distance.

argument could be made that your limited to 30 shots at most due to the shells though.
      For Sale!
      TM M870 with a load of stuff
      A&K massada sniper spec
      Chronograph
      leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Single shot ones do now come with adjustable hop, but even then the quality of that hop was a practical difficulty I had in mind. I fancy having a try at this, but it'd totally suck to work on it but then not get to use it.

Comment

Shotgun... a CQB weapon which will have to have a minimum engagement distance making CQB impossibru.

Really?
          Coventry University Airsoft Society - "Rock Up Late, Fuck Shit Up, Go Home"

Comment

What site allows 500fps even for bolt action snipers???? If you shot me with that it would go down your throat followed by my foot!

Comment

Depends on the site.

If they chrono it and say no then no you can't use it, marshall decision is always final.

However if they say yes but you must use the same MED as those running bolt actions then you have a slightly higher rate of fire manual loading gun, which you can always find a way to mount sights on.

Originally posted by DJB266 View Post
              What site allows 500fps even for bolt action snipers???? If you shot me with that it would go down your throat followed by my foot!
              About 50% of the outdoor ones I have attended, they offer a Minimum Engagement Distance or MED, in other words no shooting the rifle within that distance of a target to account for the higher FPS. However saying that I would rather take a single 500fps shot at 25-30m than a stream of about 15-20 350fps hits.

'FireKnife'
              68 Pistols and counting in over 8 years of airsoft.
              Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Comment

most if not all sites where a 30/40m MED is plausible.
                -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

I'm coming from a place of propelling a plastic BB over 60m, rather than trying to replicate real life, from that point of view a shotgun does not equal CQB.

I'd happily use a gun that looked like a banana if it performed well. The shotgun-as-sniper thought is more about being able to achieve a greater rate of fire with pump action than a bolt action, which as pointed out by Sir Stephen above, could be considered an unfair advantage, which is a little ridiculous in a sport where people can spend £thousands on their gear.

Comment

id check with the site you intend to use it at. but it is still a single shot weapon so whats the issue?
                    edit: if i somehow modified a pump action L96, its still a sniper is what i mean.

Comment

The G&P ones are single shot spring, i believe with a hop up too, so yeh you could tune it to 500fps.

It should be site legal as its still a single shot gun

Comment

Not tried out many woodland sites yet then?

Comment

My regular site is a woodland site. A site I also marshal occasionally. 430fps with 30m minimum engagement. 500 is a bit excessive.

Comment

I'd check with your local site but since its single action it should be fine, i've always though about getting a spring M500 and sticking a scope on it with a high fps spring - no idea about the accuracy on it (though my old £12 CYMA spring shotty was bloody accurate) but it would be a cheap way of making a spring sniper :P

Comment

430 is a really awkward number lol. the 70fps really doesnt make much difference. my l96 is at 445 so i can use it in most places :D

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Figjam Find out more about Figjam
                              Working...
                              X