Does it need to be 'real steel'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it need to be 'real steel'?

A quick question that another thread made me consider.

Do our airsoft guns *need* to look like real ones or would you be happy to play with a 'bb projector' that, like paintball 'markers' had no relation to real guns?

I only ask as many people see wearing a military uniform or doing an impression as 'unnecessary' but want their aeg to look like a real M4 straight out of afghan..

So if someone made a great consistant grouping 350fps, internal magazine 'bb gun' but it looked like plumbing would you use it, lets say for sake of argument it clearly put performes all traditional 'rif' type aegs and was ergonomically brilliant.

Or do you really need your aeg to look like a real world gun.

Are you happy to just play 'bb tag' or do you have to feel like you're playing a wargame/in a warfilm/ on exercise?

(i'm just curious thinking about how paintball made a culture shift away from 'wargame' to 'sport')

He'll no. Stop suggesting things!

Comment

Re: Does it need to be 'real steel'?

I would use it, as I'm more 'team sport' then 'war sport' with airsoft.

Others would not, and I can understand why.

There's room for all sorts in airsoft, and room for sport specific innovation, too.
      Originally posted by palmer234
      Swerve talks sense. I like him.
      Originally posted by Robin-Hood
      Swerve does in fact talk sense, I also like him.

Comment

Please no. Just....no.

Comment

That's actually a very good question. I for one would be slightly put off , I love my ARs too much. Airsoft for a lot of people is more for the realism it gives over paintball , using a gun unlike real looking would definitely ruin it for some , especially some of the milsim crew.

But then has anybody else wondered what firearms will be like in say 100-200 years. Only a few generations ago the best weaponry out there was cannons and ad very simple tubes with a ball bearing propelled by a hammer hitting some gun powder, now we have some pretty cool ****.

I guess my point is , what the hell do we do when guns start shooting lasers?

Any offence taken from my posts is likely intended.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooTheMarshmallow View Post
            I guess my point is , what the hell do we do when guns start shooting lasers?
            Are you suggesting the future is...

LASER TAG?!?!?!

Comment

doesnt specifically have to look like a "real world" gun but i certainly would like it to be clear what it is (for example pew pew lasers or super hi tech furturistic guns would do) Ive always like guns though and without wanting to sound like a psycho, thats the only reason im into airsoft, its certainly not for milsim or the kit, its all about the guns

Comment

I can't really see how much different an airsoft developed gun would be though, as there is a reason why real guns have evolved with the form factors we see at present (long/short/PDW/bullpup/pistol etc etc.)

Comment

yeah and lot of those factors are to do with pressure bearing parts and recoil... obviously irrelevant to the most with an AEG.

I'd have to put some thought into it but i'd imagine that while *functionally* you're right little would change i think there would be visible factors that would like see through magazines so you know exactly how many bbs you've got left, more accessable (rathet than hidden) battery compartments, no flash hiders etc.

Comment

I am a collector and a skirmisher.
                    As a collector I would say no way as I love my collection of realistic toys.
                    As a skirmisher I think its a great idea.They could be made from scratch as a bb gun instead of a replica first and bb gun second.
                    As such could be smaller,lighter and built without compromise.
                    In theory you could end up with a much much better bb gun.

Comment

As long as players with 'functional' airsoft guns play their own games I wouldn't have a problem, but it would spoil the game for those who put some effort into looking 'military' - which was the whole point of airsaoft over paintball.

Comment

So long as they dont just stand there during a game boring the shit out of me telling me serial numbers and production dates and how rare it is

Dont get me wrong. Its cool its why we play but i find everyone who has a RS front rail or Eotec has to let everyone know

Comment

I would rather have something reliable and performs better than something the looks, realistic mainly because of how I play - I've detroyed pretty much every gun i've owned externally as they just arent sturdy enough for diving around unless you spend the kind of money that I don't have on something like an Innokatsu which is built as well as the real deal. Plus gearboxes are terrible and unreliable compared to something like a HPA rig which is why im swapping over to a P*

Though I do like the look of airsoft guns and I wouldnt want to change them looking like real guns I wouldnt mind something built for performace not looks myself

Comment

Funny thing is, I've had a number of games adversely affected by teams of people geared up in excellent impressions, who don't seem to have a scooby how to actually play, or who insist on roleplaying SF-y Tacticalness even when the pace of play demands something a lot more balls-out.

Swings and roundabouts. We are each responsible, in some way, for eachothers good times.

Comment

I only do themed airsoft, pre-1990, so bits of airsoft plumbing would be useless to me, apart from possibly as donor guns for projects, if they were cheap and reliable.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gadge Europa Find out more about Gadge Europa
                              Working...
                              X