Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

are mesh glasses safe? and should they be used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't play with mesh, purely because there's a chance bits can get through. No matter how low risk it is, it's not a risk I'm willing to take with my eyes.

As for fogging - I sweat like a b**** and had a problems with fogging on my v12s - quick wipe of bog standard washing up liquid solved all of my issues, not a single patch of fog any more.

Comment

Re: are mesh glasses safe? and should they be used?

sounds odd but I fold up a couple of slices of kitchen roll and put it inside my hat so it rests on my forehead, change it at lunch. Stops a lot of the sweat from running down into the eyes
      Originally posted by palmer234
      Swerve talks sense. I like him.
      Originally posted by Robin-Hood
      Swerve does in fact talk sense, I also like him.

Comment

good idea that mate thanks! it's not the fogging thats the issue it the sweat runnign onto the lense

Comment

The only ones I know of with standards are designed for using chainsaws . Other wise most of them are made in China with little though to safety .

Comment

Originally posted by jssmitty96 View Post
            on a .2..all guns should be chrono'd on a .2
            I agree with that Smitty, but how did you end up in a game, with a sniper rifle firing at 480 on .3? that's nearing 600 on .2. I didn't think any UK sites allowed that.
            "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

I think he means it was chronoed at 480 using 0.20, but was firing 0.30 in the game so hit the kid at a lower fps.
              sigpic

Comment

my site limit is 500 on a .2 for bolt actions with a 20m min engagement i should of made it more clear it was chrono'd that on .2's and i was useing .3's

Comment

So far i've seen more injuries from wearing glasses than mesh. The main reason being mesh goggles fit tight to the face. With glasses most injuries are round going in the side and bouncing off the cheek & rattling around. Fragments and paint spall are painfull as the eye is very sensitive even to just dust. I've found the wire mesh fencing mask type the best. The stand off from you eyes is good ad as its wire rather than stamped there seems to be less chance of paint spalling off.
                  I've also had shit come off the back of mesh goggles. I not have switched back to ess wrap around glasses with cat crap wax for anti fog (its the only stuff I have found works).

Comment

Currently there is a draft or prEN (Provisional Euronorm) for mesh eye protection. Which will superceed the mesh regs we currently have.

This will be prEN 1731: Mesh type eye/face protectors against mechanical hazards & heat.

As airsoft can be classed as a mechanical hazard as well as ballistic, high end mesh should be constructed to this level.

I've no doubt that while some are up to standard there are many many more which will not be.

As an aside, how many players regularly replace there eye protection?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
                    Opinions are like ar**holes, everyone has one.

Usually found being very unimpressed by a lot of players, but gets a pleasant surprise when they actually have a clue on a game day.

Comment

Originally posted by heroshark View Post
                      The only ones I know of with standards are designed for using chainsaws .
                      What I use.... Bugz.. Made for lumberjacks, thin wire mesh with tiny holes. I prefer that to thicker mesh with bigger holes.

In my opinion I would rather have these which seal to your face than cheap wrap around safety glasses that leave gaps. Heads come in all shapes and sizes so they may fit a few people properly without too much of a gap at the sides but I bet there are more with a greater chance of a bb slipping round the side.
                      Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

if people didnt use shite BB or bio's then the world would be a better place

Comment

Originally posted by iBakez View Post
                          if people didnt use shite BB or bio's then the world would be a better place
                          Its down to you how much you want to protect your eyes. Be it mesh, plastic or fully sealed. You cant blame it on people who buy cheaper BB's.
                          For Sale
                          Madbull Landmine / Black Hellstorm Gloves / DPM South African Assault Vest

Comment

I've had paint shatter through the mesh of my goggles before, I'm not ever using them on cqb again, I sometimes use them for woodland.

I use desert locusts with fogtech wiped all over the inside of the mask fogtech is more expensive than an hour with a low end prostitute but I count it the same as sniper ammo, it's a cost you HAVE to pay to get anything from the day.

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

Originally posted by Vex View Post
                              Its down to you how much you want to protect your eyes. Be it mesh, plastic or fully sealed. You cant blame it on people who buy cheaper BB's.
                              You can to a degree.

Mesh is generally safer when used in a sealed design, but is (by it's very nature) vulnerable to breaking BBs. If people didn't use BBs that fragment so easily, then mesh would be safer.

Having said that, a player should take their eye pro more seriously than any other part of their kit. If you go out and play wearing glasses with big gaps round the side then you are leaving yourself open to greater risks. I wear either ESS Ice (rarely these days), 3M Marcus Gronholm blue tint safety glasses or Bolle Contour clear glasses. The ESSs wrap a long way round the side of my face, so give loads of side protection, and sit basically in contact with my face, but they steam up no matter what I've tried. The 3Ms wrap round close to my face, but do leave a slight gap at the sides, though this is less than the width of a BB. The Bolles wrap further round than the 3Ms, but leave a slightly larger gap.

I've weighed up the various risks and made a value judgement based on my perception of the risk. I've fallen a few times due to being steamed up badly wearing the ESSs and have also taken far more hits to the face while wearing them due to not seeing the other player as soon. In my mind, that increases the risk of damage despite the slightly superior profile. The 3Ms do leave the side of my face more vulnerable, but they sit nice and close and I've had experience of these protecting me from serious injury while wearing them as a safety item during building work too, so trust them to protect me in-game. The Bolles I wear on days when the tints of the 3Ms would make wearing dark glasses more risky. I'm happy that given the low profile and wider wrap-around, compared to the 3Ms, that the risk of a shot from a very slight angle behind me bouncing off the inside of the lens and into my eye is low enough to make them safe.

In all these cases, the type of BB being fired at me is irrelevant. If I was wearing mesh (and I have done a few times) I'd be far more concious of the risk from cheap/bio BBs that may break up if I get really unlucky. For me it's a matter of risk assessment - the chances of a shot from a very specific angle compared to the risk of a breaking BB. I've been hit in the glasses quite a few times (and some of those may have broken up, I've no way of knowing), but have never had any shot to the rear of where the glasses end, let alone one that got inside the lens. In my case, I feel that's enough of a level of protection for me playing woodland. If I was playing CQB regularly, then I may take a different view.

EDIT:

I've just noticed that my sig pic shows the small gap with my 3Ms. It's hard to see (as the picture is a screen shot from a video), but it was taken from just in front of the angle that a shot would have to be fired from to have a slight chance of getting into the gap. The shadow is making the gap look bigger than it is, but even then you can see that the target area (to get a shot into that area) is very small and the angle is very specific. An acceptable risk in my mind.
                              sigpic

Comment

I believe in a woodland environment, with lower FPS limits, mesh goggles are fine for play. Take for example, my local site ****** ***** Woodland, the maximum AEG limit is 350 FPS (328 +/-). I use the goggles above that have been lovely described as 'cack'. I have encountered no problems with them, been shot in the face with said goggles, and not suffered. Granted, in a CQB environment, where engagement distances are FAR closer, I would switch to my viper tactical glasses. CSW operates a engagement distance of 30 ft with anything over 350 (Spring single-action is only 400, not the 500 encountered at most sites), and all guns are chrono'd on a .2g, regardless of type.

I feel comfortable playing with mesh, and have even had a strike to the goggles before, that has left no mark whatsoever. It's just a shock when it does get hit!

Six

In addendum, we should check the ammo people are using as much as the amount of power being thrown out by an AEG. Market-Stall quality BB's are not suitable for airsoft in any way. I recall a marshal at CSW giving a good telling off to some loaners who had decided to load up with bright green, un-refined bb's, which were subsequently jamming all of the rental rifles.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                                X