Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Alternative to Marui Sopmod (recoil) stock/battery stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternative to Marui Sopmod (recoil) stock/battery stock?

What about one of the ace sopmod stocks and run a stock tube lipo in it. Ok they are about £90 but i think its the nicest looking m4 going and im in the middle of a project with one to replace the stubby full stock on my little CA m15a4 socom

Comment

the recoil unit is in the stock tube so I don't think that would work
      TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

I've seen a CTR stock with a cheek raiser on it and a small lipo in the cheek raiser .
        From deepest darkest pagan Wales ! The steel wolves !

Comment

Pretty sure you can get Magpul CTR 'battery' stocks that are large enough to hold a battery, unless i'm going mad.

Comment

I take it then judging by this thread a ctr stock will fit a marui sopmod without any issues.

Comment

I was told you couldn't, but I managed it fine, it's a pain to get on bet then again so are most sliding stocks

Comment

The point that needs to be made explicitly clear is that only two stocks (the Marui Recoil Shock Crane and Marui Recoil Shock Emod) are compatible with the SOPMOD's contact-bar system. If you fit a different stock, you won't have the contact bar system any more, and that means soldering a pigtail onto the stock tube wires. For most stocks that means never being able to remove the stock completely without a soldering iron (which is a bit of a pain in the arse), and never being able to completely close many (even most) stocks as the loose wire coils up inside the stock tube. The only stocks where that last problem isn't likely to occur are ones with an 'open' buffer tube (like Pricey's, pictured above) but these don't offer quite as much support for the stock along some axis.

If I wanted to fit a different stock to my SOPMOD, I'd be looking at front wiring it.
                Last edited by PureSilver; 21 May, 2013, 15:14.

Comment

My Sopmod was wired to a mini-tamiya connector, meant I could just drop the Magpul stock straight on.

Comment

Mind me asking which stock? You feed the mini-Tamiya connector through the buffer tube hole, and then...?

Comment

Magpul PTS CTR stock

My local site converted it before I even picked the rifle up from them, I've sold it now and off the top of my head I can't remember where the wire fed through, I believe through the end of the stock tube

Comment

There's no way you could pull a male mini-Tamiya connector through any of the slots in the side of a CTR, is there? Unless you drill out a hole in the side of the CTR to pull the plug through, then, my original assertion still stands - you can't remove the stock completely because you can't pull the pigtail through the stock. Plus, you still have the other problem of the wire bunching up inside the stock tube, meaning that you can't completely close the stock.

Minor problems, I'm sure, but problems nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
                          There's no way you could pull a male mini-Tamiya connector through any of the slots in the side of a CTR, is there? Unless you drill out a hole in the side of the CTR to pull the plug through, then, my original assertion still stands - you can't remove the stock completely because you can't pull the pigtail through the stock. Plus, you still have the other problem of the wire bunching up inside the stock tube, meaning that you can't completely close the stock.

Minor problems, I'm sure, but problems nonetheless.
                          As I said mate I didn't do the work myself and really didn't pay a whole of attention to what they actually did. I can say that the wire bunching wasn't an issue for me, I couldn't completely collapse the stock, but every other position was useable other than that, i'd never use a stock completely closed anyway so this wasn't an issue for me

Comment

I have been thinking about this recently. I decided to go for the re-wire to the front option...

Well what a lot of effort, its in now after about two days work. The bolt catch mechanism is just so tough to root the cables for (upgrading the cable diameter didnt help all to much). Oh and now have got to do a mod to all my mags.

Wish I had jusst bought a socom.

Comment

yeah the socom has cable routing parts which really help!
                              TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

Ahh I did wonder if that was the case, I could see lugs and holes on the gearbox casing.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                                X