Know the facts about batterys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know the facts about batterys?

I have an SR36 GEN II and i want to know for sure if i can use a 9.6v with deans connectors as i have been though forums about it and get so many mixed opinions. I run my RIS 522 on 9.6v fine. what i want to know is will it reduce lifespan of gearbox, damage the motor or kill everything in the gearbox ie strip the gears ?
    Chris Ford

Re: Know the facts about batterys?

Yes you can.

The issue with higher voltage batteries is they (generally) make the gearbox turn over faster. This leads to two issues:

1) You can get accelerated wear, largely because you end up shooting more, though there will be slightly higher component stress.

2) and this is the actual killer....pre-engagement. This happens where the spring has not returned the piston to its starting position before the sector gear tries to engage the piston for the next cycle.

So, gearboxes are all about timing.

Going from 8.4v to 9.6v at standard UK fps on your gun should not push it ouside it's normal timing range.

That said, it's worth regularly maintaining your gearbox to check for wear, no matter what voltage you're running. That way, hopefully, you can spot a problem before it escalates.

NB how fast a gb turns over is also a function of other factors including motor power/speed and battery capacity and discharge rate.
    Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
    Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

ok cheers i was thing of just running the standard 8.4v with deans for that better connectivity but this will wear faster to right
      Chris Ford

Comment

I wouldn't worry about increased wear at this level. Dean's don't make that much difference.

You're good to go, enjoy shooting :-)
        Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
        Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

great cheers if i was to upgrde parts to handle increased ROF what would i need to change ? Motor , gearbox , piston ect as im our teams support class and would love a high ROF for covering my team
          Chris Ford

Comment

On an 8.4v or a 9.6v You will be fine for a long time.

You can't completely mitigate wear, your gun WILL break one day if you use it. My advice would be to just use the 9.6v and enjoy it.

Comment

ok cheers guys will fire it up on the 9.6v i guess
              Chris Ford

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Chris Ford I am an Airsoft enthusiast Find out more about Chris Ford
              Working...
              X