Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLR camera molle pouch recommendations

Hello all
    I don't want to make a hurp durp 'wots da best' thread, but after some searching I didn't turn up many results.

SO

I'm looking to eventually get into war photography, but baby steps ... I'm starting with airsoft photography. I don't want to miss out on too much game time though, so was hoping to carry my camera with me as I play ... thus needing a molle pack. SO my question to you fine folks ... 'wots da best' SLR camera molle pouch?

hazard4 forward observer camera bag looks quite good, but only holds a single camera and pretty small lens. I also intend to make a protective covering for my camera which may mean it didn't fit inside the bag.

I also found a few shoulder bags, but that's not what I'm after.

if you have experience with a large camera molle pouches please let me know the 'yays' and 'nays' of that make and model

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Re: SLR camera molle pouch recommendations

I think that Flyye do a range made to hold camera bodies and lenses. I used a standard utility pouch with some padded velcro inserts for mine. Took it up mountains, bashed it on rocks and the camera and lenses were fine.

Comment

would a support weapon mag pouch suits your needs? or are you looking for something built for the job of holding a camera?
      what extra/length lense's are you planning on using, as a spare lense could be stored in a water bottle pouch. if you going for something with a bit of zoom though yo umight sruggle (i have a 55-300 and wit hits sun shade it would struggle to fit in a pouch by iteself, nvm with the camera body attached)
      For Sale!
      TM M870 with a load of stuff
      A&K massada sniper spec
      Chronograph
      leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Most camera molle setups are designed to carry just the camera body with the lenses stored seperately, if you think that you're going to need the lens attached then you should already have the camera round your neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew March View Post
          Most camera molle setups are designed to carry just the camera body with the lenses stored seperately, if you think that you're going to need the lens attached then you should already have the camera round your neck.
          this hazard4 shows a picture of the lens attached but it appears to be fixed prime, I have a 15 - 85mm and a 50mm so the 50mm would fit easily but the 15 - 85 is fairly bulky.

Originally posted by Sir Stephen View Post
          would a support weapon mag pouch suits your needs? or are you looking for something built for the job of holding a camera?
          what extra/length lense's are you planning on using, as a spare lense could be stored in a water bottle pouch. if you going for something with a bit of zoom though yo umight sruggle (i have a 55-300 and wit hits sun shade it would struggle to fit in a pouch by iteself, nvm with the camera body attached)
          thanks for that idea I may look into it I have an m60 so when I'm not using my camera I can have a spare mag ... good thinking!

I think that Flyye do a range made to hold camera bodies and lenses. I used a standard utility pouch with some padded velcro inserts for mine. Took it up mountains, bashed it on rocks and the camera and lenses were fine.
          I will check those out cheers, it sounds like they have a good range to choose from. And yes that was another consideration this is going to be shot at and squashed against walls ... so it's essential it protects my kit.

Comment

With a 15-85 I'm guessing you have a cannon, they are tested to buggery for thier ruggedness mate, so you should be good. had a mate who used Nikon, dropped it literally from a height of three inches and the whole thing fell to pieces. Studio cameras is what I call them.

Comment

With a 15-85 I'm guessing you have a cannon, they are tested to buggery for thier ruggedness mate, so you should be good. had a mate who used Nikon, dropped it literally from a height of three inches and the whole thing fell to pieces. Studio cameras is what I call them.
              you are correct! I am a canon lover.
              mmm I don't want to test how rugged it is myself though, I don't think a bb to the lens would do any camera any good. I have an old 18 - 55 that I ragged to death when I was doing club photography so I may use that and hope not to get my camera dinged.

also yes nikons are plasticky and fall to bits my canon has survived nightclubs/fights/bike crashes it's very sturdy.

Comment

There is no appreciable difference between any equally positioned Nikon/canon cameras and anyone that tells you otherwise is biased because they own a particular brand.

I have a 5+ year old Nikon D60 that has been through hell and high water and it's still going strong, weekly studio use, extreme sports photography, live gigs, parties, beer... So frankly, to say Nikon cameras are plasticy is tosh... Pick up a D3... I also know of entry level canon Dslrs that are still kicking it... With DSLRs, you get what you pay for in terms of build quality.

i have the H4 FO pack and it's a good foundation for a modular system, but it's not so good for MOLLE mounting... I'd recommend the hazard 4 sling pack myself.

Comment

can i ask which sites you are going/have taken pictures at?

Comment

You need to get some filters to protect the lens glass, most people shouldn't shoot you in the face if you have a camera up let alone at all if all your doing is taking pictures but if they should by mistake then you don't want to damage the front glass as the cost to repair means you might as well buy a new lens.

UV filters are your best bet, they're supposed to block uv light but usually this doesn't actually make any appreciable differnece to the picture so most people just use them to protect lenses . They usually only a few pounds each

Comment

Looking at that Hazard 4 pouch, I would not want my camera in that attached to my vest... If you have a pro standard body and a decent lens, that's a lot of weight (even primes); the pouch has two molle straps, I mean seriously, It would have to be about 4x6 for me even to consider running around with my camera in there... Looks OK if you're using it as a bag though... Have you considered belt order instead? Much firmer attachment, you can even get 'chest rig' type harnesses.

It might not be what you had in mind but look up a company called ThinkTank, their 'Holster' and 'Pixel Racing' stuff looks pretty awesome. It's not aimed at military use but its ergonomic and practical; and if their build quality is anything to go by, its better than most mil-spec equipment- I use their Retrospective shoulder bag and I would happily dangle my camera off a cliff with it...
                      Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                      If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
                        There is no appreciable difference between any equally positioned Nikon/canon cameras and anyone that tells you otherwise is biased because they own a particular brand.

I have a 5+ year old Nikon D60 that has been through hell and high water and it's still going strong, weekly studio use, extreme sports photography, live gigs, parties, beer... So frankly, to say Nikon cameras are plasticy is tosh... Pick up a D3... I also know of entry level canon Dslrs that are still kicking it... With DSLRs, you get what you pay for in terms of build quality.

i have the H4 FO pack and it's a good foundation for a modular system, but it's not so good for MOLLE mounting... I'd recommend the hazard 4 sling pack myself.
                        yeh the canon nikon debate will go on forever, I think nikon has a really awful button layout on its low end cameras, and the lenses are complicated because of in body focusing motors blah blah.
                        ty for the recommendations ill google and check them out

Originally posted by Toanjuice View Post
                        can i ask which sites you are going/have taken pictures at?
                        I've not used my proper camera at airsoft sites before, because I only had the one and I used it for work, so if it got damaged I was screwed, however I know that at F&O they only allow certain photographers and some sites don't allow photographers at all, and that everybody has to agree to having their pictures taken. I have videoed at Embassy before and made sure to ask permission first.

Originally posted by jiffk View Post
                        You need to get some filters to protect the lens glass, most people shouldn't shoot you in the face if you have a camera up let alone at all if all your doing is taking pictures but if they should by mistake then you don't want to damage the front glass as the cost to repair means you might as well buy a new lens.

UV filters are your best bet, they're supposed to block uv light but usually this doesn't actually make any appreciable differnece to the picture so most people just use them to protect lenses . They usually only a few pounds each
                        yes I have a couple of filters kicking around, I intend to stack about 3 UV filters because as you say they don't have a huge effect on the image quality and it's certainly not worth messing up my lens.

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
                        Looking at that Hazard 4 pouch, I would not want my camera in that attached to my vest... If you have a pro standard body and a decent lens, that's a lot of weight (even primes); the pouch has two molle straps, I mean seriously, It would have to be about 4x6 for me even to consider running around with my camera in there... Looks OK if you're using it as a bag though... Have you considered belt order instead? Much firmer attachment, you can even get 'chest rig' type harnesses.

It might not be what you had in mind but look up a company called ThinkTank, their 'Holster' and 'Pixel Racing' stuff looks pretty awesome. It's not aimed at military use but its ergonomic and practical; and if their build quality is anything to go by, its better than most mil-spec equipment- I use their Retrospective shoulder bag and I would happily dangle my camera off a cliff with it...
                        thank you so much for this I hadn't considered that at all! I will have to look into the breaking force of those, you're right they could just drop my camera every time i jump or turn too quickly.

ill have a look at the ones you've suggested thank you

Comment

Agreed on the filters on lenses bit, definetly.
                          Seen a guy take a hit to the filter which cracked it but didn't break through...thankfully.

In terms of carrying, how come you're not the biggest fan of the shoulder bags?
                          I use a Flyye CB Camera Bag for my 650D and carries the 18-55mm on the camera in the bag and has space for 2 more lenses, filters and other bits n bobs. Tall enough to fit my 50-300 too

I'm not sure if the entire system is adjustable or just the camera bit...

Comment

Originally posted by bobfish View Post
                            thank you so much for this I hadn't considered that at all! I will have to look into the breaking force of those, you're right they could just drop my camera every time i jump or turn too quickly.
                            ill have a look at the ones you've suggested thank you
                            I'd be more worried about the stitching on the molle loops breaking, rather than the molle clips... The load needs to be ideally spread over four consecutive columns... But even then I personally still wouldn't trust it without lots of testing....
                            Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                            If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by mad.matt View Post
                              Agreed on the filters on lenses bit, definetly.
                              Seen a guy take a hit to the filter which cracked it but didn't break through...thankfully.

In terms of carrying, how come you're not the biggest fan of the shoulder bags?
                              I use a Flyye CB Camera Bag for my 650D and carries the 18-55mm on the camera in the bag and has space for 2 more lenses, filters and other bits n bobs. Tall enough to fit my 50-300 too

I'm not sure if the entire system is adjustable or just the camera bit...
                              I didn't want a shoulder bag because I'm getting a bulldog molle vest and wanted to get a pouch to go on that, so that I can still carry all my airsoft kit and my camera too.
                              I will look into the Flyye CB though. thanks

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
                              I'd be more worried about the stitching on the molle loops breaking, rather than the molle clips... The load needs to be ideally spread over four consecutive columns... But even then I personally still wouldn't trust it without lots of testing....
                              yeh If I do get any of them I'll test them with a similar weighted object to make sure they don't drop my camera, though if they are worth their salt they should protect against a drop from chest height. I know my camera has been through the wars I came off my bike onto it inside a lowepro bag and it was fine. I'd hope that whatever pouch i get can protect the same.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bobfish Find out more about bobfish
                              Working...
                              X