Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the front sight from a sopmod

Hey guys
    Just a quick question, has anyone managed to remove the front sight? I found that it is necessary to hold in the ris hand guard because the sight keeps the gas block in place. Has anyone managed to remove the front sight without a new gas block or if it's necessary, which one would they recommend?
    Thank you

I have replaced the one on my CQBr with an ACM VLTOR flip up sight:

In order to get it off, you need to separate the two receivers ensuring the inner barrel is removed. Remove the two pins holding the sight in place, then finally remove a grub screw accessed via a hole underneath the sight.

The sight should simply slip off!

Comment

Re: Removing the front sight from a sopmod

As explained above you can just replace the gas block with a new one and keep the original RIS but if you would like no gas block then you will need to get yourself a free float RIS.
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry, completely mis-read your original post! The front sight keeps the Marui RIS in place, so you will either need a gas block replacement OR a free float RIS! ..Got there eventually!

Comment

Originally posted by Toanjuice View Post
          Hey guys
          Just a quick question, has anyone managed to remove the front sight? I found that it is necessary to hold in the ris hand guard because the sight keeps the gas block in place.
          You're mangling words a bit. The SOPMOD has a Colt A2-style front-sight-block (FSB), so the sight is part of the gas block rather than keeping "the gas block in place".

Has anyone managed to remove the front sight without a new gas block or if it's necessary, which one would they recommend?
          As before, they're one piece, so if you want to remove the sight without removing the gas block, you just cut the upper triangle (the sight) from the gas block (the lower portion with the gas tube). Otherwise, yes, I've managed to remove the FSB. Like Hopewell says, it's a pain in the arse - you need to remove the two pins (obvious) but there's a grub screw sneakily inserted through the outer barrel that you need to remove too. Once you remove the FSB, the handguard cap (which retains the RAS) will come loose. If you want just a gas block (without a front sight), any low profile one should do, but try and test them in the shop as the inner diameter of the gas block and the outer diameter of the SOPMOD's outer barrel are not necessarily the same.

Comment

Thanx a lot guys, you really helped.
            Sorry if my question is not clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopewell View Post
              I have replaced the one on my CQBr with an ACM VLTOR flip up sight:

In order to get it off, you need to separate the two receivers ensuring the inner barrel is removed. Remove the two pins holding the sight in place, then finally remove a grub screw accessed via a hole underneath the sight.

The sight should simply slip off!
              Can i ask where you brought the flip up sight from?

Comment

No site rules lol! unless it zero-in it ain't real

Comment

Can i ask where you brought the flip up sight from?
                  There is only one airsoft shop and it's called Zero One Airsoft, it's the bestest shop in the universe, no one could even come close. That is a "G&P troy style flip up sight", but please don't google it as it could result in blasphemy.

Comment

ditched the gas block and got a madbull 7 inch free float ris here. bit of barrel wobble but trying out a solution for it next week. Doesnt affect performance at all so I'm in no hurry. If i get time tomorrow I'll throw a few pics up

Comment

Barrel wobble on a stock SOPMOD is almost certainly a loose barrel nut. With the free-float RIS it could be a squashed barrel block and/or you might need some shims to accommodate the new barrel nut. First Factory sell an upgrade for the former and examples of the latter.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Toanjuice Find out more about Toanjuice
                      Working...
                      X