Playing anywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing anywhere

This may sound a little naive, coming from someone who plays a lot but, when I drive in the countryside, I'll often see a small wood, or a small hill with lots of ditches and bumps and think, that'd be good for a small game, just one on one or three or four of us, or even just giving the guns a test fire, so what's stopping us ? It seems it's perfectly legal for a person to take his (much more dangerous) air rifle out, shooting whatever, so how would we stand legally, and I'm not talking about the local park or anything, but real, miles from anywhere woodland/moorland. and if it's the RIF issue, then, (excuse the language) what about two tone?
    "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Re: Playing anywhere

You need land owners permission.

Comment

Thanks Ben, but isn't a lot of this type of land public, so we all own it? hence the air rifle guys being able to shoot rabbits etc, with apparent impunity. (This is only a conversation prompter by the way, i've no real plans to do it, LOL)
      "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

You need both the landowners permission and they will need some form of insurance or cover to allow you to do such activities on their land.

This will cover both you and any third party that may be injured, such as walkers crossing the land while the activites are going on.

The cover is not one hundred percent needed, but it is preferable for the land owner to have it as it covers everyone involved.

With regards to people hunting rabbits with air rifles etc they often have to request land owners permission too, to just go walking around the countryside with an air rifle in plain site is illegal unless you have permission to do so. As for areas that are public don't even try it.

Remember that a public area means the public will be on it and if you are seen branding, what to them, is an offensive weapon they will report you and you will be arrested as you are brandishing a RIF or IF on public land and not on private land with owners permission (like a skirmish site) or at your own house or property.

Often it boils down to being a case of 'I can do it as I doubt anyone will show up and see me doing it'. But if that is anyones line of thought they should get out of this hobby right now, simple as that.

'FireKnife'
        68 Pistols and counting in over 8 years of airsoft.
        Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Comment

Depends who's land it is, how far you are away from populated areas as alot of woodland\moors are used by walkers\ramblers or whatever they call themselves these days!

Personally I'd never risk it

Comment

Originally posted by steve grey View Post
            Thanks Ben, but isn't a lot of this type of land public, so we all own it? hence the air rifle guys being able to shoot rabbits etc, with apparent impunity. (This is only a conversation prompter by the way, i've no real plans to do it, LOL)
            It's a good conversation and kudos to starting it off in an intelligent and considered manner!

I'm not sure if you'd be able to shoot on public access land TBH, I'm not 100% certain though.

Comment

Thanks BEN, yes it's a point i've often pondered as I think it's one that most of us could argue quite passionately from either standpoint, i'll be interested to see how it unfolds.......(and all please rest assured, I've not intention of doing it anytime soon, it is just a topic)

Comment

Here's a swerve ball:

Private owned land with a rarely used public foot path running through it (generally only used by the locals walking dogs from a very small village who know the owner), signs up saying "People playing with imitation fire arms" and the land owner has public liability insurance. Any member of the public walking on the public footpath and players call "time out!", if member of the public wanders off said footpath they are technically trespassing.

This is a real example, a good friend of mine owns the property and is how I got into airsoft.

As Steve points out, not just guys with air rifles, but there are shotguns fired around my village. If due care and attention is taken, personally, I can't see the harm. As in all walks of life you'll always get those who are irresponsible so it's hard to give a blanket answer.
                “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

I am in the same situation as above but in Scotland tresspass isn't common law.

Further more common sense is needed anyone who thinks a disused piece of land in a city where no one walks and a piece of woodland a few mile walk from the nearest road are in the same book as they are both public land needs to get out the hobby
                  sigpic

Comment

Without the land owners permission this would be armed trespass, which is a criminal offence, trespass is just a civil offence.

The people who hunt rabbits etc do so because they have the landowners permission, or are poaching which is again illegal. This permission is often very hard to get and is generally covered by a form of insurance which can be gained by being a member of basc.

What you need to remember is that the nice piece of woodland etc is owned by someone, it's their land. All land in the UK is owned by someone, people, farmers, councils, churches etc. A bit like your garden is owned by you, so strolling over someones nice wood firing thousands of bits of plastics while armed isn't a great idea, is likely to be extremely unwanted by the owner and illegal.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnife View Post
                      , such as walkers crossing the land
                      And remember kids the only way to kill a Walker is by destroying the brain.

I always look at places and think oooo airsoft site, Unfortunately even if you contacted the owner of the place they would expect a ridiculous amount of money because most of them are greedy.

Comment

Originally posted by emergencychimp View Post
                        Without the land owners permission this would be armed trespass, which is a criminal offence, trespass is just a civil offence.
                        My pal spoke to a solicitor about this, apparently even with the land owners permission (he's the landowner) there is a weird law about armed trespass.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the real issue is causing distress to members of the public because of the imitation look of our pea shooters, running around looking like terrorists and trespassing?

If our pea shooters looked like a punch of daffodils and the land is public or with landowner permission and were wearing shorts and t-shirts and pink wellington boots I'm not sure there would be any issues unless the daffodils were used in an irresponsible manner which caused harm to a member of the public?
                        “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

I agree there is NO defined black or white its all grey so just don't be stupid if it seems risky don't risk it stay safe!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PLAYGOD View Post
                            I agree there is NO defined black or white its all grey so just don't be stupid if it seems risky don't risk it stay safe!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
                            I think it is pretty black and white, in the UK, if you used a RIF/IF on land where you don't have permission, or it causes distress to the public (like using one in your front garden on a busy road) it is illegal and there can be serious consequences for doing so which will also reflect badly on our sport and only give evidence to people who want to close our sport down.

Lets not give them the ammunition.
                            sigpic

Comment

Then there comes the idiosyncrasies.....

A farmers field for example could have a public right of way through it. Being a good egg, most ramblers will handrail the perimeter of a field to avoid spoiling a crop where as they are legally entitled to take the direct line from style to style. Why is this nugget of information important? It is further illegal to discharge a weapon within a set distance of a public right of way

You could, inadvertently break the law by playing with permission on the land but firing within the distance of the public right of way.

If however, you have permission to shoot there AND there is no public right of way through the land, you simply need to ensure your fall of shot stays withing the land owners boundaries.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

steve grey I work as a singer, all over but mostly UK, also have a property business Find out more about steve grey
                              Working...
                              X