Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery query

Alright chaps,

Sorry if this is a bit of a muggins question but i figured this would be the bet place to ask. In terms of battery type for an AEG, such as 7.4v, is it advisable to use a larger cap battery (11.1v for example) if that voltage type is all youve used so far? or will it knack the motor? And if it is ok to use, will it improve anything or just allow me more shots before replacing the pack?

Sorry again if this is a daft one, just want to check as some sites are maddeningly vague on the subject.

Cheers again

Pete
    Damn Brad, what else you got hidden in the humvee - a fat chick?

Re: Battery query

The higher the V or Voltage of a pack will increase the ROF and motor speed, but the battery will drain quicker. Battery capacity is shown in mAh. so a 7.4v 1600mAh battery will last longer than a 9.6v 1600mAh battery, but the 9.6v will give a faster ROF.

The higher the V of a pack the more wear you could potentially impart on your motor and trigger contacts, but to be frank it isn't worth worrying about (the difference will be minimal).

Obviously using an 11v pack is slightly different as you will be spinning the motor and gearbox so fast that if something isn't right it will break far quicker than the other 2 packs. I would stay at 9.6v or below, I use 9.6v in EVERYTHING as I get the trigger response I want, and just carry a spare battery or 2.

There is no reason to not switch between voltages with a motor. I always have a backup battery which is only 8.4v, and can happily last a day with it with no issues if I run out of all other batteries. A motor has no memory of the last voltage used and has no preference.
    King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
    https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Thats great to know, cheers Crass!

- - - Updated - - -

Thats great to know, cheers Crass!

Comment

As said above, there seems to be a fair amount of caution associated with 11.1v packs, mainly due to the destruction they can cause in a gearbox that is, shall we say.. not ready.

I keep meaning to plug one in to see what happens

Comment

I ran my ARES G36 stock on an 11.1v pack for a year with no issues apart from its weight.
          www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

My personal preference over the last five years of using them has been to stick with a decent Brand of 7.4v 20c or thereabouts lipo. As all of my guns need a battery in the stock tube I only use 1300-1450mah ones so I just take three or four with me to be on the safe side.
            With these I've never encountered a problem. On the flip side of the coin I have seen and repaired numerous gearboxes that've lunched on themselves after being connected to an 11.1v lipo after only one or two mags. If you're running a MOSFET that removes some of the inherent risks but is it really worth it?

Comment

im not overly concerned about weight as im so very, very manly I just didnt want my gearbox to "lunch" on itself as Phil so aptly put
              Ive got a couple of 7.4v Lipo packs and as im not much of a sprayer i'm not super concerned about ROF as yet. all good info though lads, keep it coming

Comment

IIRC liPo voltage doesn't matter as much as with NiMHs? It's all about the C rating on a liPo correct? Never delved into LiPos myself as I have never had the need.
                www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
                  IIRC liPo voltage doesn't matter as much as with NiMHs? It's all about the C rating on a liPo correct? Never delved into LiPos myself as I have never had the need.
                  Kind of. The Voltage still has an effect of RoF. IIRC a 7.4v Lipo will give roughly the same Rof as a 8.4v NiMH, maybe greater. The C rating is its discharge rate and affects your trigger response. Faster discharge rate means the motor will spin up quicker thus making BB's fly out the barrels sooner yada yada

Effects of a 12V battery on a TM MP5:

Chewed sector gear
                  Chewed bevel gear
                  Chewed spur gear
                  Stripped piston
                  Chewed ARL latch.

Ya. Happened on my MP5 I've just finished repairing. Was used with a 12v before I knew anything about airsoft!
                  Upcoming Games:
                  None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                  Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

eesh.

Wont be sticking an overpowered battery in my M4 then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Zsasz View Post
                      eesh.

Wont be sticking an overpowered battery in my M4 then.
                      Definately useless you wanna go through the route of upgrading all your internals first lol. I spent a while scraping the chunks of gears dust out of that gearbox lol.
                      Upcoming Games:
                      None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                      Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mister Zsasz Find out more about Mister Zsasz
                      Working...
                      X