night sights made easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• night sights made easy

so we all know that it can be hard to look through your iron sights in the dark. unless of course you have glow in the dark sights but these can cost a fair bit of money that some players just wont want to spend.
    i recently picked up some rather special paint (zuper paint green) for £2.70 from an auction site (no names) and here are my results.... bearing in mind theese are all the first layer and no care was put in

m4

[IMG][/IMG]

close up of the front sight
    [IMG][/IMG]

glock
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

maybe you want to identify your equipment in the dark?

[IMG][/IMG]

sig 226

[IMG][/IMG]

the paint itself

[IMG][/IMG]

as you can see this would come in very handy for night games or cqb when you are in low lighting to keep on target or to identify certain bits and bobs.
    i went for the 25ml option and there is enough there to paint hundreds of sights as all you need is one tiny blob' the paint will charge under daylight or any other sort of light but if you really want them to go give them about 2 seconds under a bright torch and the brightness isnt justified in these images it is ALOT brighter in person.
    i suggest you go pick some up as it's a great little thing to get for the sake of a few quid and something that could really help you in your game's.

Re: night sights made easy

Just a quick question (Nice job by the way), but how radioactive is that paint??

Or is it a photo-luminescent type?
    There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

i think if its chargable under daylight its the photo-luminescent stuff? not 100% sure, but im pretty sure its not Radium or something like in watch dials....

:s
      Damn Brad, what else you got hidden in the humvee - a fat chick?

Comment

its deffo not radioactive lol its much brighter than the standard tm glock night sights and the guarder ones

Comment

Smitty, its pretty the same compund they use on those little glowing stars you puts on your kids ceiling right? The weak stuff that charges during the day?

Comment

Just checked it out on a well known auction site. It's the chargeable stuff.
            There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

How much was it dude? i could do with some of that on my Sig

Comment

Twenty-five of your Western currency for six pots of varying colours. Though one would imagine they do the green on its own?

Comment

oooh, pink ironsights! how very fabulous!

Comment

green on tis own is 2.70 as stated above its alot brighter than those glowing start and i mean alot brighter im actually quite shocked at the brightness and i havent had it in pitch black yet il lget some photo's outside tonight

Comment

nice, reckon i will pick some of that up. cheers fella

Comment

Not quite. Zuper paint is made of Strontium Aluminate, pretty much the most powerful stuff you can get. I've used it in paint form in the past and found that if you use it as intended, it had a weak glow. If however you flipped the bottle upside down and allowed the particles to settle, then paint the sights on using just the sediment, you get a really, really good glow, which lasts for ridiculous amounts for time from just a flash of a flash light.

I'm currently experimenting with using the powder on its own, as the paints seemed to be a bit wasteful (paints can dry up, in my experience in about 1.5-2 years before it becomes unusable, powders can be stored indefinitely. Paint's are 80% liquid, 20% glow element, powders are 100% glow element).

My process is as follows:
                        1. Drill a shallow hole where you want the glow element to go, which will act as a protective container for the glow element
                        2. Paint the base and walls of the hole with white paint, to reflect the glow element back out, maximising it's brightness and glow time
                        3. Add a thin layer of super glue to the inside of the hole, on top of the white paint
                        4. Cover it as fully as you can in glow powder and gently shake off the excess
                        5. Repeat steps 3-4 once more to cover any gaps or thin points
                        6. Finally, fill the hole to the top with a protective layer of clear nail polish

Will post results as soon as I have them, but that is pretty much the only method I can think of to get a quality finish on your glow sights.

Glow in the dark paint works as well, and may actually prove to be a bit easier to use as long as you use the sediment, as it's already saturated with the liquid portion of the paint, which means you don't need to use the glue at all, and can get a thicker layer on in one go. But you get less active element in a paint pot, than in a bag of powder, so it's your call really.

Oh, and don't skimp on the protective layer either. The powder is REALLY fragile, and can chip off really fast. It's why you need to drill the holes as well, as it WILL (from experience) chip if you just mound it on.

But yeah, end results are fantastic. My initial experiment with the paint sedement was highly effective for me in both UCAP bunker and the basements in the mall

Oh, just as an extra point, if you are using 2 colours, always use the brigher of the 2 on the front post. So Green and White means that white goes on the rear sights and Green goes on the front. The brightness order, according to KilaBitzzz, is:
                        • Green (considerably brighter than other colours)
                        • Aqua
                        • Blue
                        • White
                        • Orange
                        • Zinc Red (has a very strong sulphur odour so use in a well-ventilated room)
                        • Purple / Violet
                        Last edited by Bachelarius; 16 May, 2013, 14:37.

Comment

ive added a few more layers of paint...unfortunatley my glock rear sight has a chunk missing which is why the back is abit messy i also drlled small holes with a dremel to put the paint in...but ive got the pot upside down now and i shall try it again later

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Hmm, tempted to do this for my MP5. Did look at a tritium front post, but that's at least £100. Glow powder/paint should be a midge cheaper.

Comment

I just want a pot of that stuff to sit in the corner of my room glowing...

But in all seriousness i may have to do this myself.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                              X