New to Airsoft :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Airsoft :)

Right guys and girls im in the need of some tips from the masses.

Im wanting to get into Airsoft with my friend but i have a few questions ha.

Where do i start?
    What type of guns should i look for?
    What gear will i need?
    Etc....

I know some basics but hope i can learn a thing or two from you guys .

Thanks.

Re: New to Airsoft

I don't mean to be unkind, but you can't think you're the first person to have asked these questions on this forum.

First, appraise yourself of the legal issues surrounding airsoft and your position regarding them.

Second, avail yourself of the Advice & New Players subforum.

Third, avail yourself of the search function.

Comment

Because my personal policy is "spoonfeed all noobs so long as I have an ounce of patience left", I will give you some basic advice.

Where do I start? First decide your commitment level. How much money have you got to spend? How often will you go to play airsoft? What sorts of airsoft games would you like to play (casual skirmish games somewhat similar to paintball, or more engaging military simulation that can last days at a time)? Do you want to buy your own guns? Do you want to do all your buying early or gradually build up your kit?

Before you can purchase the cool looking guns, you must receive UKARA certification. This is a sort of license number to denote that you are in the hobby to play airsoft, not to use imitation firearms to mug people or rob banks or whatever. This is done by playing at a field 3 times over 3 months I believe (someone else please correct me if I'm wrong). Without UKARA you will only be able to buy 2-tone painted guns, which we don't recommend.

Let's say you want to buy your own guns. You should have about 250 at a minimum for starter budget, not including field fees. This will cover a reliable entry-level automatic electric gun (AEG), decent face/eye protection, camo uniform and a few accessories.

What type of guns should i look for? To begin with, buy an AEG for their reliability, ease of maintenance, consistency in performance, and practicality in every sort of airsoft. As for specific guns, give your specific preferences--the airsoft market is big enough such that unless you have incredibly esoteric tastes like "WWI German" we could probably cover you.

What gear will I need? Hilariously, in airsoft the only things you NEED to be your own are a decent pair of combat boots--everything else you can rent or borrow or do without. After that, it's a decent set of eye protection, some warm, tough clothing that may or may not be camouflage, extra magazines for your guns, batteries and charger. A belt with a couple pouches to hold the magazines if you bought them. Everything else is window dressing--you can go hog-wild but get away with having very little.

Good luck. If you continue to follow this thread, ask followup questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Today's noobs, tomorrow's veterans.

Comment

Totally right, thanks for the "prod" in the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by CacklingHawk View Post
        Because my personal policy is "spoonfeed all noobs so long as I have an ounce of patience left", I will give you some basic advice.

Where do I start? First decide your commitment level. How much money have you got to spend? How often will you go to play airsoft? What sorts of airsoft games would you like to play (casual skirmish games somewhat similar to paintball, or more engaging military simulation that can last days at a time)? Do you want to buy your own guns? Do you want to do all your buying early or gradually build up your kit?

Before you can purchase the cool looking guns, you must receive UKARA certification. This is a sort of license number to denote that you are in the hobby to play airsoft, not to use imitation firearms to mug people or rob banks or whatever. This is done by playing at a field 3 times over 3 months I believe (someone else please correct me if I'm wrong). Without UKARA you will only be able to buy 2-tone painted guns, which we don't recommend.

Let's say you want to buy your own guns. You should have about 250 at a minimum for starter budget, not including field fees. This will cover a reliable entry-level automatic electric gun (AEG), decent face/eye protection, camo uniform and a few accessories.

What type of guns should i look for? To begin with, buy an AEG for their reliability, ease of maintenance, consistency in performance, and practicality in every sort of airsoft. As for specific guns, give your specific preferences--the airsoft market is big enough such that unless you have incredibly esoteric tastes like "WWI German" we could probably cover you.

What gear will I need? Hilariously, in airsoft the only things you NEED to be your own are a decent pair of combat boots--everything else you can rent or borrow or do without. After that, it's a decent set of eye protection, some warm, tough clothing that may or may not be camouflage, extra magazines for your guns, batteries and charger. A belt with a couple pouches to hold the magazines if you bought them. Everything else is window dressing--you can go hog-wild but get away with having very little.

Good luck. If you continue to follow this thread, ask followup questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Today's noobs, tomorrow's veterans.
        I already have some combats and boots but need some eye-wear so that shouldn't be a problem.
        I have a full time job so i can fund this hobby but i would have to do it progressively.
        AEG sounds good to me, could you suggest a decent manufacturer to get me started?

One question i have that i couldn't answer from the FAQ is this: Could i use a RIF at a site without a UKARA? (Friend who has a UKARA lends me the gun for the day)

Thanks for all the help !!

Comment

Originally posted by Nugget View Post
          AEG sounds good to me, could you suggest a decent manufacturer to get me started?

One question i have that i couldn't answer from the FAQ is this: Could i use a RIF at a site without a UKARA? (Friend who has a UKARA lends me the gun for the day)
          Good to see someone take it on the chin for once! For your first gun you will want either an assault rifle (AR-15, Kalashnikov, G36, AUG, FAMAS, L85 - might have missed a few but the first three are by far the most common) or a full-size SMG (full-length MP5 or UMP) because what you need most of all is flexibility, and those two types of weapon (the same mechanical get-up in different clothes) are the most flexible. You need to be able to use your gun in every conceivable type of airsoft you might play (woodland, FIBUA, CQB, whatever) and really only an assault rifle or an SMG with a full-length barrel can do everything equally well.

What company you buy your assault rifle/SMG AEG from depends on your budget. If you're sensible, a G&G CM-16 (or another G&G Combat Machine AR-15) is a very affordable, very reliable and very effective gun; if you don't like AR-15s or want something different, G&G also make Kalashnikovs (RK-47 and variants) that are very affordable. Bought first hand, with four magazines, a charger and some batteries from a UK retailer either would cost you about £220 and be accompanied by a one-year warranty. You could also look into the second-hand market as many people ditch their first gun to fund a more expensive replacement - you can save a ton of money this way but you need to be careful to avoid buying a damaged or defective gun.

You can definitely use a RIF if it's lent to you. If you are over 18, you can even keep it if it's given to you as a gift. I'd recommend trying as many guns as you can borrow (during your first three skirmishes as per UKARA requirements) to work out what suits you before buying anything.

Comment

Its 3 times, over a minimum of two months at the same sight.
            I agree with what else that has been said. A g&g is a good shout for a reliable cost effective gun.
            Wheres about you live? Because some retailers will allow you to try out the guns before you buy

Comment

Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
              Good to see someone take it on the chin for once! For your first gun you will want either an assault rifle (AR-15, Kalashnikov, G36, AUG, FAMAS, L85 - might have missed a few but the first three are by far the most common) or a full-size SMG (full-length MP5 or UMP) because what you need most of all is flexibility, and those two types of weapon (the same mechanical get-up in different clothes) are the most flexible. You need to be able to use your gun in every conceivable type of airsoft you might play (woodland, FIBUA, CQB, whatever) and really only an assault rifle or an SMG with a full-length barrel can do everything equally well.

What company you buy your assault rifle/SMG AEG from depends on your budget. If you're sensible, a G&G CM-16 (or another G&G Combat Machine AR-15) is a very affordable, very reliable and very effective gun; if you don't like AR-15s or want something different, G&G also make Kalashnikovs (RK-47 and variants) that are very affordable. Bought first hand, with four magazines, a charger and some batteries from a UK retailer either would cost you about £220 and be accompanied by a one-year warranty. You could also look into the second-hand market as many people ditch their first gun to fund a more expensive replacement - you can save a ton of money this way but you need to be careful to avoid buying a damaged or defective gun.

You can definitely use a RIF if it's lent to you. If you are over 18, you can even keep it if it's given to you as a gift. I'd recommend trying as many guns as you can borrow (during your first three skirmishes as per UKARA requirements) to work out what suits you before buying anything.
              Sweet ill have a dabble on the G&G website and see if i can find a suitable match. I've had a look on the selling part of this forum and a lot of guns get sold here! I may just watch the forums a bit so i can learn some of the guns and prices etc....

And yes im 19 so no problems with age. My friend had 7 different guns so i guess ill ask him if i can trail his haha.

Thanks again for helping out a "N00B" :p

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Toanjuice View Post
              Its 3 times, over a minimum of two months at the same sight.
              I agree with what else that has been said. A g&g is a good shout for a reliable cost effective gun.
              Wheres about you live? Because some retailers will allow you to try out the guns before you buy
              I think i can manage that .
              I live in Leeds, Yorkshire.

Comment

Damn, the closest I know that will allow you to test the gun is all the way in Peterborough. Of course there may be a place closer to you. Visit a website called airbana, it had an extensive list of shops close to you.

Comment

There is an airsoft shop in Leeds but for obvious reasons I cannot post the name. They are supposed to be good.
                  Just google "airsoft shop Leeds" and something should come up.

"Edit" they are based in Huddersfield

Comment

Originally posted by Toanjuice View Post
                    Damn, the closest I know that will allow you to test the gun is all the way in Peterborough. Of course there may be a place closer to you. Visit a website called airbana, it had an extensive list of shops close to you.
                    There's a shop in North London that will let you play with the guns too
                    Upcoming Games:
                    None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                    Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Right then guys, Thanks for all the help learned alot.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Nugget Find out more about Nugget
                      Working...
                      X