Educate an old man on SVD variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate an old man on SVD variants

I am desperate to build a VSS Vintorez and considered various base guns, neither of which were perfect.

The SVD had the magazine in the wrong place but did do the short mags.
    The AK platform had the mags in the correct place but not short ones. (WE GBBR)

I have seen photos of an SVD with the magazine directly in front of the trigger guard. What model are they?

Cheers

Re: Educate an old man on SVD variants

I think JG built an SVD that was modelled on an AK and as a result the magazine is directly in front of the trigger.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should......

Comment

So that is a JG-ism and not based on a real platform?

I think i am settled on a Vintorez inspired suppressed SVD. The magazine placement will not be accurate, but he work load on modifying the rest of the gun is minimal.

Comment

Don't bother building one, King arms are bringing one out

Comment

Unless it is a GBBR and WE compatible that isn't much use to me!

I might get one and use the body to modify an AK variant then... simply settle with long mags or get busy with the disc cutter.

Comment

LCT have one due out soon. Given that GHK already use LCT externals for their GBB AK range, it might make sense to start there.

Comment

Ahhhh, that could work.

What are the chances of GHK doing short AK mags i wonder........

Comment

The GHK magazines use two cylinders, it would be any easy lathe job to shorten and retread them in order to fit them into a shorter magazine shell.

Comment

Like the others have said, unless you want to buy an NPO-AEG ($1300, if I remember correctly) and throw away all the internals, your current options are absolutely crap and likely to result in a horribly misproportioned AKM like those Guarder SVD conversion kits. Better to wait for the G&G (which will have LCT externals if the newer G&Gs are anything to go by) or maybe just buy a kit from LCT directly if that's cheaper. Either way, you would at least have the correct externals and like Heinz says, those internals have been married to GHK's GBBR internals in the recent past so it shouldn't be impossible to marry them again.

In addition to GHK OEM examples ProWin make GHK-compatible mags (though I'm not sure what they're like inside) so you have some options when it comes to make custom ones.

Comment

If i remember correctly, the Prowin mags are a single lump inside the shell, which would preclude chopping them down.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

loki7491 Find out more about loki7491
                    Working...
                    X