Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Painting a TM G36 matt black - yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a TM G36 matt black - yay or nay?

Hi guys

My G36 is looking a little weathered and I'm toying with the idea of attacking it with some black krylon

Firstly, is it going to have the desired effect ie. look nice and new?

Secondly, as its currently the stock finish, does it need to be primed or sanded or both? Or neither?!

Quick answers would be great as I'm bored and feeling impulsive haha

Cheers

Dan

Re: Painting a TM G36 matt black - yay or nay?

Sounds like you've already decided to spray it and are looking for some validation We've all been there.

If you do, get some very very very fine grade sanding sponges - not paper - and give it a light rub over, followed by a clean to remove dust. This helps the paint to sick and should help to prevent flaking. If you've doing it solid colour, you should take it apart and spray it seperatley...but if you can't be bothered, make sure and tape up areas you dont want spray to get into. And have someplace reay to hang it up to dry afterwards.

Comment

Great cheers for the advice matey :-)

In terms of finish, you think matt black is a good call? Or will it look like mother Teresa's chuff?!

Comment

Depends on the paint. If you've got gloss...it'll shine. Unless you keep it to a very light dusting. When I did mine i kept it light, stay 1-2 feet from the gun and use long, broad strokes. Test this on something else first to practice if you've not done it before. Generally if you put too much on it will be shiny. If you've got matt, should be grand.

Comment

I've just been thinking about this, my G36k recoil is getting really shiny from using it a lot, very tempted to give it a Krylon dusting.

Comment

Haha Ill let you know how it looks, I'm going to go for it this afternoon. Will either be krylon or halfords matte black... Fingers crossed haha, lots of very light coats me thinks, not gonna rush it :-)

Comment

Thoughts on needing to prime first?!

Comment

I wouldn't, I hate it when paint rubs off and you see a different colour underneath! I may give mine a light black dusting and if it scrapes off it just goes back to a black, not a grey or white etc.

Comment

Halfrauds!!!!

I've painted up a fair few guns and i'm going to suggest "Plasti-kote Matt Super" paint, it has a really nice finish to it and is hard wearing(i hear Krylon is more for a temporary covering) you can get it from B&Q, Wilkinsons, Screwfix and umm lots of other places.

And as for priming, TM will be plastic so just rough it up all over with some fairly fine wet 'n' dry, then give it a good wash and paint away

Personally I completely strip my guns before painting and mask up any contact points as getting paint on those can make bits harder to get together/apart.

Good luck with it

Comment

I used halfords ford beige on mine! Worked a treat and so much cheaper. Yeah, light coats building up are the way to go.

Comment

I went with halfords camouflage black in the end, started out great but ran out! The can really doesn't cover much at all. Back to halfords for can number two tomorrow. Pleased with it so far it is very matte and will definitely look sexy after another coat. Can't wait to put it all back together!

Comment

Really?! Ive done 3 guns with my khaki green!
                        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Just a thought, what about the Plastidip spray on coatings that is popular for custom cars? Semi permanent, but you can remove it if you don't like it. There are quite a few vids on Youtube.

Comment

Pics when it's done old chap, always good to have a refrence for people trying it.

Comment

Right it's all finished, I did three coats in the end, stripped it down and masked bits off etc. It looks like a brand new gun, crossed with a stealth fighter haha - matte is an understatement! Time will tell how durable it is, but I'm chuffed with it and would recommend it to anyone wanting to spruce up their rifle.

Pics to follow, although I don't think they do it justice - the finish looks lovely in person :-)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Doodlebug Find out more about Doodlebug
                              Working...
                              X