Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A&K M249 vs Ares M60 E4

Hi,

Firstly I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where to post it so feel free to move it.
    I'm looking to buy a support gun, I was looking at potentially an A&K M249, either the Mk2 or the para. Not sure which. Having said that there is an Ares M60 E4 going second hand in my price range.
    I've read all the reviews I can find of both guns and it seems they both have there strengths and weaknesses. The 249 seems to have a problem with the trigger microswitch but that seems to be a fairly cheap and easy problem to solve. The M60's seem historically to have had a feeding problem with the box mag and some sources have suggested that the quality can be a bit hit or miss if you'll excuse the pun.

My question is do you own either of these guns? What are people's opinions? I have a budget of around about 300 - 350 at a push but I don't want to buy something that is going to break down on day one.
    Do you guys think I would be better off getting a brand new A&K M249 or a second hand Ares M60? If so why? Is there any guidance on work that I should get done to either gun if I were to buy it such as "get the 249 but get the microswitch replaced" or any similar advice.

Over to you guys help me out here!

Compare the weights and sizes too as I used to have a Top M249 and that was big and heavy enough and I think the M60s are even bigger and heavier!

Plus M249s will take normal mags meaning sites that don't allow box mags (some cqb) will still let you use it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Re: A&K M249 vs Ares M60 E4

That's a good point. I haven't actually checked with my usual site to see if they accept support weapons. I'm pretty sure they do as they were mentioned in the safety brief lady Sunday but I've never actually seen anyone use one there.

I haven't actually looked up the relative weights but I understand that the Ares M60E4 is very light and easy to use without the bi pod where as the A&K M249 is pretty heavy. The Ares M60 also has a 4000 round box mag which I find appealing.

Anyone else got any thoughts hints or tips? Even more general thoughts on buying weapons new or second hand?

Comment

Just think mate that the mag makes no difference as you just gotta poor the rounds in a reasonably big hole so its no bother.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Infact the M60 weighs in at 6350 grams and the 249 at 6500 so there isn't a huge amount in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I won't worry about mag capacity then

Comment

Believe me you will feel the difference over a days play, if you want something awesome yet practical may i reccomend the G&P Stoner 63
            Originally posted by tackle
            For the haters who feel that bamf, & others, are picking on you, GROW THE FUCK UP, their actually trying to stop you destroying our sport or having even more draconian measures foisted upon us.

Comment

I would love a stoner mate but its a little out of my price range!
              I'm so indecisive, can someone just tell me exactly what to buy and why? Ha ha

Comment

249, replace the microswitch and while you're at it, turn it in to a 60rps ROF monster! Misfeeding isn't something I'd want to deal with as it's usually a matter of finding the best mag to run in it and with support guns that doesn't give you much room to find one that feeds perfect!
                Originally posted by Lt. Macka
                big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Cheers for that proto, anyone else got an opinion they want to share?

Comment

Sorry for the noobish question but how do you turn it into a 60rps monster? Sounds awesome!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Greenie Find out more about Greenie
                    Working...
                    X