gas v battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas v battery

hi guys im thinking of getting my secound gun a sniper g96-d but i was wondering what is the real diffrence between gas and battery and what the pros and cons between the two

Re: gas v battery

Gas -
    cons -
    suffer in the cold
    run out faster
    more expensive than charging a battery

pros - can reach high fps levels without need for upgrades
    gives a nice kick to the gun for that extra realism

battery
    cons - run out faster in the cold
    can suffer from overheating and connection problems
    extra weight

pros - can vary the rof between types af battery
    adds extra weight
    cheaper in the long run
    simpler to use

theres probably more but hey
    CA & JP Rifles SPR (Upgraded)
    CA M4A1 SPC

Comment

Also there's a risk of Gas mags leaking, it's generally a easy fix, but can be a pain in the a*se.

Comment

thnks for your input some food for thought

Comment

Originally posted by idrivetractors
          Battery or Gas? "Spring" TM L96. Spring over Gas any day of the week. The choice of champions...

Ben
          Second that, without a doubt. I've got a VSR that I've upgraded to 500fps. It's reliable and simple, and has one hell of a range.

I also run battery guns, and also have one GBB rifle. It's rubbish! Inconsistent and totally unreliable. I love GBB pistols (good ones), but even they are pretty bum in the winter.

Don't be put off by a spring powered sniper – using the bolt is a great tactile experience in the game, and they really are a great gun. Go for a VSR-10 or an L96 and you can't go far wrong. More choice on upgrade parts with the VSR at the moment though.

Comment

In soviet russia spring powers you!

just kidding

Gas vs battery? well battery for that argument consistent, reliable, less expensive

however spring powered is where its at. no gas no batteries to worry about just man power

Comment

Originally posted by LtPurcy View Post
              In soviet russia spring powers you!

just kidding

Gas vs battery? well battery for that argument consistent, reliable, less expensive

however spring powered is where its at. no gas no batteries to worry about just man power
              I have a pouch on my stock with two spare mags in it – that way I'm self sufficient. Well, as long as I have a tactical Snickers in a pouch somewhere too.

Comment

I honestly don't think the OP wanted this to turn into a thread discussion how awesome spring powered weapons are, he/she wanted to know about the advantages and disadvantages of gas vs batteries.

Personally, I try to use gas guns as little as possible... When I do, I have a TM NBB pistol which lasts forever when the magazine is filled and a CO2 powered G&G Extreme depending on the day. As for rifles - I've never had the privilege of owning one yet... And the last word of that sentence is the interesting part.

I'm considering looking at GBB Rifles in the near future just because of the sound; seeing the gas be exerted at the muzzle, and the kick... Oh and some of the kits that RA-Tech do - look wonderful.

However, the problem there would be I'd have to buy more Green Gas, which costs around £10 per bottle, and would probably only last around a thousand rounds or so (considering that in the cold - more refills of mags = less left in bottle at the end).

But a battery will last a number of thousand rounds from one single charge. And I won't have to faff around in the middle of a skirmish if the weapon was to stop firing (although that's entirely possible with some sort of fault).

Pro's of Gas - weapon drills must be taken into account - ie, cocking the rifle, releasing the bolt, etcetera. Can't get more real than that.
                Sound is simply fantastic.
                Recoil engines. (Ahhh, but so does the TM SOPMOD???)
                More care for your rifle and associated equipment.

Cons - Cold = bad.
                Mags leak, and are usually expensive.
                Gas guns need more maintenance to run smoothly.
                Can cost a lot to get a good gun (AGM M4 users may have to spend an extra £60 + to get the better quality bits or whatever).
                Some AEG externals are not interchangeable.

Pro's of batteries - normally no leaks to worry about, and can be charged more than 100 times if they've been looked after.
                Lots more capacity.
                Adding weight = adding a little more realism to the weapon.

Cons - Bulky and some shapes are not robust - ie, nunchucks - wires can snap easier than you think.
                Can also be expensive - £10 + per battery (okay, 2 batteries needed for your one gun) and the charger can cost anything from £20 - £200 for a decent one.
                Li-po's are dangerous but can offer great advantages.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

i feel you have to weigh up the cost of realism vs consistencey

i.e its swings and roundabouts

Comment

Originally posted by Gaffa View Post
                    I honestly don't think the OP wanted this to turn into a thread discussion how awesome spring powered weapons are, he/she wanted to know about the advantages and disadvantages of gas vs batteries.

Personally, I try to use gas guns as little as possible... When I do, I have a TM NBB pistol which lasts forever when the magazine is filled and a CO2 powered G&G Extreme depending on the day. As for rifles - I've never had the privilege of owning one yet... And the last word of that sentence is the interesting part.

I'm considering looking at GBB Rifles in the near future just because of the sound; seeing the gas be exerted at the muzzle, and the kick... Oh and some of the kits that RA-Tech do - look wonderful.

However, the problem there would be I'd have to buy more Green Gas, which costs around £10 per bottle, and would probably only last around a thousand rounds or so (considering that in the cold - more refills of mags = less left in bottle at the end).

But a battery will last a number of thousand rounds from one single charge. And I won't have to faff around in the middle of a skirmish if the weapon was to stop firing (although that's entirely possible with some sort of fault).

Pro's of Gas - weapon drills must be taken into account - ie, cocking the rifle, releasing the bolt, etcetera. Can't get more real than that.
                    Sound is simply fantastic.
                    Recoil engines. (Ahhh, but so does the TM SOPMOD???)
                    More care for your rifle and associated equipment.

Cons - Cold = bad.
                    Mags leak, and are usually expensive.
                    Gas guns need more maintenance to run smoothly.
                    Can cost a lot to get a good gun (AGM M4 users may have to spend an extra £60 + to get the better quality bits or whatever).
                    Some AEG externals are not interchangeable.

Pro's of batteries - normally no leaks to worry about, and can be charged more than 100 times if they've been looked after.
                    Lots more capacity.
                    Adding weight = adding a little more realism to the weapon.

Cons - Bulky and some shapes are not robust - ie, nunchucks - wires can snap easier than you think.
                    Can also be expensive - £10 + per battery (okay, 2 batteries needed for your one gun) and the charger can cost anything from £20 - £200 for a decent one.
                    Li-po's are dangerous but can offer great advantages.
                    Yeah but i dont know of any "battery Powered" L96's available. Hence the gas vs...it must be spring and the original question being flawed.
                    A simple error?
                    This way all bases are covered and valuable advise is given. Surely the spring input was natural progression? And worth the time to write it?

I also disagree with your "lipo's are dangerous comment". Pure scarmongering....

Ben
                    "As the Great Warrior poet Ice Cube once said, when the day does not require an AK it is good"

Comment

LiPo's are dangerous, its a proven fact they can combust, hence why some come with fireproff charging bags.

As for Gas, Battery, Spring. Id say your best bet would be -

Assault Rifle - AEG
                      Pistol - Gas (AEP for winter)
                      Sniper - Spring

If youve got the money to run a GBB M4 or the like with say 4-5 mags or so, and like the realistic features of it, do it. But expect lesser results during these cold times we're having now.

The other thing i find, most people will give you a pistol mag full of gas, but will they give you 6-7 M4 mags if you run out

However, someone will borrow you a battery that will see you out to the end of the day!

I think that would be my deciding comment should i have posted this thread regarding Battery v Gas anyway.

Hope it helps

Westy
                      Originally posted by Artekus
                      It looks like I'll need to brush up on my fieldcraft/untutored thrashing about in the undergrowth

Comment

Lipols arnt dangourous at all. It's numptys who don't charge them correctly. There the ones which catch fire. They don't expload killing hundreds of kittens. Rant off.

Comment

A ni-mh/ni-cd battery will also ignite/explode and kill kittens if you dont look after them properly or charge them incorectly.......

Comment

Originally posted by westywesty84 View Post
                            LiPo's are dangerous, its a proven fact they can combust, hence why some come with fireproff charging bags.

As for Gas, Battery, Spring. Id say your best bet would be -

Assault Rifle - AEG
                            Pistol - Gas (AEP for winter)
                            Sniper - Spring

If youve got the money to run a GBB M4 or the like with say 4-5 mags or so, and like the realistic features of it, do it. But expect lesser results during these cold times we're having now.

The other thing i find, most people will give you a pistol mag full of gas, but will they give you 6-7 M4 mags if you run out

However, someone will borrow you a battery that will see you out to the end of the day!

I think that would be my deciding comment should i have posted this thread regarding Battery v Gas anyway.

Hope it helps

Westy
                            This isn't a gas vs battery debate. The original post was about the the best L96 option as the chap (slayer i believe without looking) was after a sniper rifle. With the options only Gas or Spring being mentioned. The added Lipo factor was a result of a previous post based around speculation.

Back on topic anyone?
                            "As the Great Warrior poet Ice Cube once said, when the day does not require an AK it is good"

Comment

Who said slayer was getting an L96?

hi guys im thinking of getting my secound gun a sniper g96-d but i was wondering what is the real diffrence between gas and battery and what the pros and cons between the two
                              He's considering getting a gas powered L96, but the thread is all about batteries vs gas, simply because from my understanding, he may not buy an L96. Simples.
                              So no more of this spring rubbish!

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

slayer70 Find out more about slayer70
                              Working...
                              X